Armstrong Team Probe May Get Boost From Researchers' Transfused Blood Test

There are 47 comments on the Bloomberg Business News story from Jan 12, 2011, titled Armstrong Team Probe May Get Boost From Researchers' Transfused Blood Test. In it, Bloomberg Business News reports that:

Scientists are working on a doping test for transfused blood that may help a probe into allegations that the U.S. Postal cycling team led by Lance Armstrong used the technique to improve riders' performances.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg Business News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Ah!...the Witches are still hunting!!!
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 13, 2011
Well, then don't go over to the Daily Peloton as you might get your feelings hurt!
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 13, 2011
As for the battle against ilegal drugs and doping in cycling, this may turn out as a very good test in identifying those who contine to cheat.

But, if they continue to only nab the riders, then they'll never get to the root of the process. As then the Soap Opera Circus will only sludge on.
Wang

Salem, OH

#4 Jan 13, 2011
I read an article on Velonews that Bruyneel indicated that the UCI had their minds made up about the race radio issue and did not take the riders and teams thoughts into consideration. Maybe if the riders and teams (if involved) provided more information when doping issues arise, the UCI would place more value on their opinions.

I agree with MOEP that the process of doping needs to be rooted out.

If riders/teams don't want to help, they should keep their traps shut and hope they continue to successfully pass the doping controls.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 13, 2011
Wang wrote:
I read an article on Velonews that Bruyneel indicated that the UCI had their minds made up about the race radio issue and did not take the riders and teams thoughts into consideration. Maybe if the riders and teams (if involved) provided more information when doping issues arise, the UCI would place more value on their opinions.
I agree with MOEP that the process of doping needs to be rooted out.
If riders/teams don't want to help, they should keep their traps shut and hope they continue to successfully pass the doping controls.
Hi Wang. In regards to the race radio, what do you think the UCI's attitude or decision is about the "Race Radios?"

Cheers
Wang

Chester, SC

#6 Jan 14, 2011
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Wang. In regards to the race radio, what do you think the UCI's attitude or decision is about the "Race Radios?"
Cheers
I previously read where the UCI wanted the ban so that the races would be more exciting and less predictable. I would like to see the ban for at least a little while.
Athos

Teddington, UK

#7 Jan 14, 2011
Wang wrote:
<quoted text>
I previously read where the UCI wanted the ban so that the races would be more exciting and less predictable. I would like to see the ban for at least a little while.
For Ever!
Wang

Chester, SC

#8 Jan 14, 2011
Athos wrote:
<quoted text>For Ever!
Yes, sometimes a "step forward" is not a step forward.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#9 Jan 16, 2011
Athos wrote:
<quoted text>For Ever!
Wang wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, sometimes a "step forward" is not a step forward.
Yes! Get rid of the race radios and make the riders become real racers without babysitting them!!!

Cheers
SpeedyPete

Cape Town, South Africa

#10 Jan 17, 2011
I agree, take them radios away. There are to many gadgets already and with doping, cycling is not a sport anymore. If you're not in a winning team, your chances are almost nil. It's not a case of the best man wins the race anymore. That's why I love mountain biking where every rider is on his own.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

United States

#11 Jan 18, 2011
SpeedyPete wrote:
I agree, take them radios away. There are to many gadgets already and with doping, cycling is not a sport anymore. If you're not in a winning team, your chances are almost nil. It's not a case of the best man wins the race anymore. That's why I love mountain biking where every rider is on his own.
You have a point there Speedy. At least the team cars cannot follow the riders on the trail and babysit them.

I'm really lookig forward to hearing how your son does in the 24hr ride!

Cheers
Yello-Devil

Lemoore, CA

#12 Jan 19, 2011
Doping...Lance...WHA!!!????
TruDat

Cumming, GA

#13 Jan 21, 2011
I love it how all the comments against race radios are from people who have never raced as a pro with race radios. Somehow I don't think anyone can really know both sides unless you've been in both situations (with and without radios)

Tactically it doesn't really change things because, let's face it- the bikes still need to be pedaled. It's not an advantage if the riders can't physically carry out the instructions from the director.

It is dangerous to have team cars constantly coming up to the peloton to give information to the riders.

Times have changed, speeds are faster now, and the sport needs to change. We should move forwards not backwards.
TruDat

Cumming, GA

#14 Jan 21, 2011
For the record - I am a pro.
My Opinion_El Paso_Texas

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 21, 2011
TruDat wrote:
I love it how all the comments against race radios are from people who have never raced as a pro with race radios. Somehow I don't think anyone can really know both sides unless you've been in both situations (with and without radios)
Tactically it doesn't really change things because, let's face it- the bikes still need to be pedaled. It's not an advantage if the riders can't physically carry out the instructions from the director.
It is dangerous to have team cars constantly coming up to the peloton to give information to the riders.
Times have changed, speeds are faster now, and the sport needs to change. We should move forwards not backwards.
TruDat wrote:
For the record - I am a pro.
Hay Chris, you may want to chime in here as you probably have more time on the rubber then this guy.

You are totally correct! I am not a pro cyclist and I have never claimed to be a pro cyclist!

I work in the field of mental health (psychology) and sociology along with treating mental health and I do trully understand how both the elements of the psychological and sociological environments have affected people, including cyclists.

Since I do ride bicycles and have raced on them in various countries, then it may be logical that I also enjoy watching cycling events on television along with live events and that I may have done a whole lot of reaserch about a sport that I love along with dialogign with many other cyclists from all over.

It seems to me that it just might be you who doesn't have a real concept on whether or not race radios should be removed from the sport as you just contrdicted yourself.

You just stated that the race radios really don't have any impact. So, what are you afraid of? Aren't you smart enough in being able to tactically race in a cycling event on your own. Do you really need your team manager to tell you what to do every step of the race!

I think that where you came in here in the middle of discussion, that you might have missed the point some of us were making. The essence of pure sport and pure competition on it's own without any help from outsiders.

That would mean just you, the bike, and the other competitors.

Maybe you and many others have just become too relying on those radios.

Food for Thought

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#16 Jan 21, 2011
Here is one cycling team manager's thoughts about race radios!

Boyer Proposes Compromise On Race Radios

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boyer-propose...
Wang

Sevierville, TN

#17 Jan 21, 2011
TruDat wrote:
Have you raced with and without radios?

"Tactically it doesn't really change things..."? Please explain.
SpeedyPete

Cape Town, South Africa

#18 Jan 21, 2011
TruDat wrote:
How do you know that I'm not a pro cycler? I'm not saying I am a pro, I'm asking YOU how do you know I'm not.

Btw, which team are you riding for? What kind of radio and drugs do you use? What was the last race you won? Where and when?
Athos

UK

#19 Jan 21, 2011
TruDat wrote:
Team radios are not a step forwards, the peleton now know every move, no longer can a rider 'sneak (break) away without some manager talking to HIS team over a radio link. Very bad for the spectators, bad for the image of cycle racing. The road racing side of pro cycling is full of morons who can't read a race for themselves.
I would go further and get rid of crash helmets!!!!! I can't tell one from another, they are no longer a safety measure, just a cosmetic advertising adornment. Mmmm what you think of that???!!!

“I Love Life, People & Animals”

Since: Feb 07

El Paso, Texas

#20 Jan 23, 2011
Athos wrote:
<quoted text>Team radios are not a step forwards, the peleton now know every move, no longer can a rider 'sneak (break) away without some manager talking to HIS team over a radio link. Very bad for the spectators, bad for the image of cycle racing. The road racing side of pro cycling is full of morons who can't read a race for themselves.
I would go further and get rid of crash helmets!!!!! I can't tell one from another, they are no longer a safety measure, just a cosmetic advertising adornment. Mmmm what you think of that???!!!
Good points Chris and Pieter.

Gotta disagree with you about the helmets Chris. I know some riders who have crashed in races and their helmets saved their brains.

But, you are correct about having a hard time in identifying the riders due to the helmets.

I also noticed that our hit and miss commentator hasn't responded back to any of us here.

Cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Floyd Landis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Not Even Lance Deserves This (Dec '13) Oct '14 stefanbed53 41
News Can Armstrong ever be forgiven? (Sep '14) Oct '14 stefanbed53 5
News Opinion: Should we just stop asking about doping? (Jul '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 31
News Lance Armstrong doping documentary contrasts be... (Oct '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 4
Trick or Treat! (Oct '13) Nov '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 5
News Tygart waits for Armstrong to be part of the so... (May '13) Aug '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 3
News Tour convenes former riders for 100th edition (Jul '13) Jul '13 My Opinion_El Pas... 6
More from around the web