Pro Tour 2007 - Zabel wants Ullrich r...

Pro Tour 2007 - Zabel wants Ullrich return

There are 18 comments on the Eurosport.com story from Jan 10, 2007, titled Pro Tour 2007 - Zabel wants Ullrich return. In it, Eurosport.com reports that:

Zabel in favour of DNA tests Erik Zabel has said he wants to see former team-mate Jan Ullrich return to the peloton along with any riders who have yet to face formal doping charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eurosport.com.

manie smith

South Africa

#1 Jan 11, 2007
Jan must race again!!!!!!!!!!
Hyug

Lisbon, Portugal

#2 Jan 12, 2007
He will.

I think Jan and Erik parted in a strange way (at T-Mobile) as the team was focusing on surrounding Jan with climbers and rollers while leaving sprinters out... Jan could have been a little more sensitive when Erik left, but I think he was "only" professional.

Erik is showing again he's got a pretty decent sense of fairness; like most of the people here, it seems obvious to have all the riders that are not banned or found guilty considered innocent and accepted as equals.

This innocence acceptance (until prooven otherwise) is one of the basis of our globalised modern society.
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 12, 2007
It showed what type of man Erick Zabel is and has always been. A good man and total professional cyclist. Reason why I have always enjoyed watching him race.
Hyug

Porto, Portugal

#4 Jan 14, 2007
Andreas Klöden said about his ex-teammate and close friend Jan Ullrich: "If he gets a license from the Swiss Federation, then I assume that he will be at the start at the Tour. I wish it for him, that he can ride it again."
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 17, 2007
That just shows that not all the cyclists are nuts and against Jan Ullrich. Glad to see that Andreas Kloden wasn't scared to stand up and speak his mind.
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

United States

#6 Jan 20, 2007
I just found this info at another forum:

This week the French news source Le Monde released information which showed 2006 Tour second place finisher ROberto Pereiro twice tested positive during the race for an asthma medication. There are three points that need to be made here.

First, why is it that six months after the Tour is over is the first time this has been talked about?

Second, despite Pererio having told doping control that he was using the substance, doctors claimed that he had no medical need to use it. How is it that a controlled substance is permitted for a rider who does not need it?

Third, why are there no plans to investigate further? My point, however, is not Mr. Pereiro but rather that Floyd Landis has already been pilloried in the press without yet having his day in court. On the other hand, an unusual substance finding by a non-American is treated as a six month out of date footnote in the sporting news which was not deemed worthy even to follow up on the medical roots.
miccas

Esmoriz, Portugal

#7 Jan 21, 2007
Hyug wrote:
Andreas Klöden said about his ex-teammate and close friend Jan Ullrich: "If he gets a license from the Swiss Federation, then I assume that he will be at the start at the Tour. I wish it for him, that he can ride it again."
I can't but hope this to be true. Th etour won't be the same without Jan.
Hyug

Lisbon, Portugal

#8 Jan 22, 2007
Indeed.

After (arguably) having not enough contribuition from certain colleagues in the past (especially Vino), it would be wonderful to see different styles as leaders of different teams: Jan Ullrich (team?), Alexandre Vinokourov (Astana), Ivan Basso (Discovery Channel), Floyd Landis (team?), Alejandro Valverde (Illes Ballears) and maybe Kloden, Sastre or another quality outsider.

That would be a spectacle to watch !!!
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 22, 2007
That would be one hell of a line up at the start of the race and that would be a race worth watching for any cycling fan.

Since: Jan 07

Esmoriz, Portugal

#10 Jan 22, 2007
After a decade of too boring/Armstrong/more than certain triumphs it would be spectacular to watch a real race with all the names HYug mentioned and some new others. I just hope that all of them have the fair opportunities and can provide all of us, cycling enthusiasts, a new era of emotions that we are almost forgotten of
Hyug

Lisbon, Portugal

#11 Jan 23, 2007
Who cares about the ASO, ProTour, UCI, bla bla bla ?!...

People fill the streets, sidewalks and even moutains for these guys. When they transcend themselves (and they often do), it's something to watch.

Everyone talks about Jan's TT in 2003 or Andorra win in 1997... everyone talks about Lance's dominance... someone always knows the most interesting details about a race... but do you know any cycling fan that goes to the Alpe d'Huez or the Courchevel to cheer and discuss the ASO, UCI or ProTour ???

My point is: the organizations should exist to serve the cyclists and not the other way around.

One more question: if Lance Armstrong decided to ride the TdF and didn't have a team, should he be allowed in (as wild card or whatever)?
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 23, 2007
Hell, the ASO would think of something in order to keep Lance Armstrong out of the TDF!
Hyug

Lisbon, Portugal

#13 Jan 24, 2007
My question was: if a cyclist who has performed well in the past wants to join the TdF (or Giro, Vuelta, etc.) peloton, should he be given a wild card and allowed to participate ?

Why or why not ?
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 26, 2007
Yes, to your question on Lance Armstrong!!! And I agree with you about the fans at the Alpe d'Huez and the Courchevel. I'm even willing to bet that most of the French cycling fans want to see everybody racing in the 2007 TDF.

But, Ivan Basso did well in the past and I don't think he's going to get a wild card.

Jan Ullrich did well in the past and he's not going to get a wild card.

Now, as far as I'm concerned and believe, they should both be allowed to compete in the 2007 TDF.
Hyug

Porto, Portugal

#15 Jan 27, 2007
I really don't think that an outsider can win the TdF (or any other 2-week or 3-week event), but if one is in top shape, he can perform.

Jan Ullrich always had little help from his T-Mobile mates. And I never saw Vino being a part of that team.

And also Basso, he was left alone a couple of times (yet he gained, as his cycling style had some similarities with Lance's and that was always better for him than it was for Jan).

I think that (with Lance out) both Jan and Ivan could have won the TdF without a team, that's certain.
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

United States

#16 Jan 27, 2007
You made a good point about their not recieving much help from their team mates in the mountains. In the past I have wondered if a cyclists could race and win the TDF on their own.

We have to take into account that the team also has to control the momentum and the pace at times during the peleton itself. Of course the rider can ride behind other teams for drafting and rest on easy days. So, it still leaves debate on whether or not they could win it all by themselves.

It certainly would be interesting to see if it could be done.
Hyug

Porto, Portugal

#17 Jan 27, 2007
Definately... controlling the tempo in the peloton is very important but I think it would be too difficult for any peloton to "destroy" a quality cyclist riding strategy alone.

And strong paces are good for Jan.
And changes of speed are good for Ivan.
And crazy moves are good for Vino.

I'm sure they'd all welcome to be in the TdF, no matter what.

And when the mountains are in the horizon, this is even more noticeable. In 1997, Jan needed help one time (he had cramps, relaxed and was pulled back by Riis). Other than than, there were more times that Telekom and T-Mobile left him alone than otherwise. And his Bianchi team was a joke !!!

Also Basso, he seemed more like the 10th Discovery man (glued to Lance) than a CSC man; everybody knew that Rasmussen could go for the polka dot jersey and that in no way Basso could beat Lance in his game (2 minutes loss in each ITT were something to expect).

Having this said, teams are extremely important, but...
My Opinion_El Paso_TX

El Paso, TX

#18 Jan 28, 2007
I have to hand it to you Hyug, you provide sound thought and good points here.

I have often thought about a situation like that and have figured out some of the stratigies. It would be great if we could get to really see a situation like you have described played out in this years TDF. It certainly would be a great change and a fantastic race to watch for all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Erik Zabel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gerdemann's anti-doping message promises bright... (Jul '07) Jul '07 My Opinion_El Pas... 17
News Boonen wins 12th Stage of Tour de France (Jul '07) Jul '07 BS Detector 2
News Tour director speaks out (May '07) Jun '07 My Opinion_El Pas... 23
News German teams reassess cycling support after dop... (May '07) May '07 juliette seibold 1
News No medals for Aussies at cycling titles (Sep '06) Sep '06 Jason 1
News Vinokourov Wins Vuelta; Landis Attends (Sep '06) Sep '06 ricky rider 12
News Points & mountains preview (Jul '06) Jul '06 Linn 1
More from around the web