First Edition Cycling News

Full story: Cycling News

First Edition Cycling News for October 7, 2006 Edited by Laura Weislo and Jeff Jones Merckx believes Landis Eddy Merckx, who has long kept silent on the matter of 2006 Tour de France winner Floyd Landis' ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Wayne

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

Eddie believes Landis !

He goes on to say " You can't be a great athlete if you dope "

Guess I am in good company, as I don't think Landis took T on Stage 17; why would he? Testosterone would be a ridiculous choice of dope for this occasion, and Floyd was perfectly capable of his performance on the Stage
.....( it's all there in the required watts and the elapsed time....)

Do I know what happened? No.... Does anyone? But Merckz thinks this was a mistake..........

Could be..........I believe the facts will come out one of these days.

---Salem, Oregon---
Will

Pasadena, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

[MORE OF WHAT EDDIE MERCKX SAID IN THE ARTICLE]:

"Eddy Merckx, who has long kept silent on the matter of 2006 Tour de France winner Floyd Landis' positive drugs test, has told Het Laatste Nieuws that he feels the matter is a mistake. Because his son Axel was part of the now defunct Phonak squad with Landis, Merckx was frequently questioned about the issue, but refused to comment until now. He told the Belgian newspaper, "I don't believe that he took anything illegal. Landis did only what he had to. I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there. But for me it [the affair] remains a mistake."

Merckx feels that cycling takes an unfairly large burden when it comes to the anti-doping cause. "There are many more controls in cycling than in all other sports. No wonder that there are people caught. The doping controls are the strictest and most frequent in the world....."

SO, IN CONTEXT, THE ARTICLE MAKES 2 THINGS CLEAR THAT PUT MERCKX'S BELIEF IN PERSPECTIVE: 1) EDDIE'S SON AXEL WAS A TEAMMATE OF LANDIS' ON THE PHONAK TEAM, AND 2) EDDIE ADMITS "I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there."
LNDD

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

It would be refreshing if we could attribute this to someone else.

"I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there." -Will
onJp

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

LNDD wrote:
It would be refreshing if we could attribute this to someone else.
"I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there." -Will
Will wasn't there for the testing either.
LNDD

Warrenton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

that is what I mean. He was not there, so he doesn't know for sure.
Will

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2006

Will wrote:
[MORE OF WHAT EDDIE MERCKX SAID IN THE ARTICLE]:
"Eddy Merckx, who has long kept silent on the matter of 2006 Tour de France winner Floyd Landis' positive drugs test, has told Het Laatste Nieuws that he feels the matter is a mistake. Because his son Axel was part of the now defunct Phonak squad with Landis, Merckx was frequently questioned about the issue, but refused to comment until now. He told the Belgian newspaper, "I don't believe that he took anything illegal. Landis did only what he had to. I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there. But for me it [the affair] remains a mistake."
Merckx feels that cycling takes an unfairly large burden when it comes to the anti-doping cause. "There are many more controls in cycling than in all other sports. No wonder that there are people caught. The doping controls are the strictest and most frequent in the world....."
SO, IN CONTEXT, THE ARTICLE MAKES 2 THINGS CLEAR THAT PUT MERCKX'S BELIEF IN PERSPECTIVE: 1) EDDIE'S SON AXEL WAS A TEAMMATE OF LANDIS' ON THE PHONAK TEAM, AND 2) EDDIE ADMITS "I don't know for sure, of course, because I wasn't there."
Logically, if Merckx can have an opinion ABOUT SOMETHING THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED WHEN HE ADMITTEDLY WASN'T THERE AS AN EYEWITNESS, then I can certainly have an opinion ABOUT THE SAME SOMETHING THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED, EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT THERE AS AN EYEWITNESS.
TrustButVerify

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2006

The original interview seems to have originated at Pez, and when I read it, I too was left quite confused about Eddy's meaning. It certainly seemed like an ambiguous and hedged comment to me. The other media reports seem to have picked up mostly the initial impression before the fog rolled in.

It would probably take a joint appearance with Eddy and Floyd to make Merckx's beliefs clear. We'd still be left with the "how would he know" complaint which will sit with some people no matter what. If Landis is procedurally cleared, prior and continued support from the likes of Merckx ought to help in the rehabilitation.

I wonder if and when The Badger will weigh in.

TBV
slovenian princess

Fruita, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2006

TrustButVerify wrote:
The original interview seems to have originated at Pez, and when I read it, I too was left quite confused about Eddy's meaning. It certainly seemed like an ambiguous and hedged comment to me. The other media reports seem to have picked up mostly the initial impression before the fog rolled in.
It would probably take a joint appearance with Eddy and Floyd to make Merckx's beliefs clear. We'd still be left with the "how would he know" complaint which will sit with some people no matter what. If Landis is procedurally cleared, prior and continued support from the likes of Merckx ought to help in the rehabilitation.
TBV
nice post!
Raymond

Toulon, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2006

Will wrote:
<quoted text>
Logically, if Merckx can have an opinion ABOUT SOMETHING THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED WHEN HE ADMITTEDLY WASN'T THERE AS AN EYEWITNESS, then I can certainly have an opinion ABOUT THE SAME SOMETHING THAT MAY HAVE OCCURRED, EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT THERE AS AN EYEWITNESS.
Pure logic Will, Some of the posts. Floyd did nothing wrong, could well have to accept the truth. Good Post.
Wayne

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2006

TrustButVerify wrote:
The original interview seems to have originated at Pez, and when I read it, I too was left quite confused about Eddy's meaning. It certainly seemed like an ambiguous and hedged comment to me..........

TBV
Didn't seem all that ambiguous to me........he expresses his belief...what more could he say????

As for Hinault, I would like to hear his opinion...why not, nothing else happening on this forum.

---Salem. Oregon---
Mike

Phillipsburg, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2006

So let me understand, Eddie Merckx believes in Floyd, his son raced with Floyd. And Will seems to be angered by the fact that someone in a position to know far more than you has faith in Floyd. I would really love to know why you hate Floyd so much Will. Whatever will you do when he is cleared, and wins the Tour again.
Will

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2006

Mike wrote:
...Whatever will you do when he is cleared, and wins the Tour again.
I'll probably be dodging the flying pigs.
Raymond

Toulon, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2006

Mike wrote:
So let me understand, Eddie Merckx believes in Floyd, his son raced with Floyd. And Will seems to be angered by the fact that someone in a position to know far more than you has faith in Floyd. I would really love to know why you hate Floyd so much Will. Whatever will you do when he is cleared, and wins the Tour again.
I have an American friend who has had a hip replaced with the latest tek. She reckons its impossible!
Will

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2006

Raymond wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an American friend who has had a hip replaced with the latest tek. She reckons its impossible!
Yes, although the technology and surgical techniques are constantly improving, the level of activity after surgery heavily influences the failure rate of the hip replacement; the outcome is also less favorable in individuals who have had hip surgery before the hip replacement.
Mike

Phillipsburg, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2006

You best prepare yourselves to be dodging the flying pigs as you put it. If you actually knew Floyds career history you would not doubt his ability one bit. Get ready, the pigs will be preparing to take off very soon...
Wayne

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

Mike wrote:
You best prepare yourselves to be dodging the flying pigs as you put it. If you actually knew Floyds career history you would not doubt his ability one bit. Get ready, the pigs will be preparing to take off very soon...
I am not so confident Mike.
Floyd could very well be innocent and also convince the general public...yet lose before the review board. The drug establishment leadership has their backs up against the wall on this one.
It is easy for us to play armchair quarterback.......including me. I fearlessly predict that the entire case rests on one issue: The IRMS test.
3 out of 4 metabolites were negative......... Is there convincing evidence that the 4th one was a false positive, a lab error, or otherwise incorrect ???
---Salem, Oregon---

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Davide Rebellin Discussions

Search the Davide Rebellin Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Alberto Contador claims a fine solo victory and... (Dec '09) Dec '09 mark temple 1
Former Giro winner Danilo Di Luca provisionally... (Jul '09) Jul '09 realt 1
Michele Bartoli Wants To Race Again (Feb '09) Feb '09 Samoht 2
Brief results, full report & photos (Sep '08) Sep '08 morg 1
Ukraine's Popovych wins fifth stage of Paris-Ni... (Apr '07) Apr '07 antero barros 1
Spanish cyclist Contador wins Paris-Nice (Mar '07) Mar '07 My Opinion_El Paso_TX 3
Contador pulls off sensational Paris-Nice victory (Mar '07) Mar '07 Danilo 1
•••
•••
•••