Astana cycling team: No plans for Arm...

Astana cycling team: No plans for Armstrong to race with us if ...

There are 18 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Astana cycling team: No plans for Armstrong to race with us if .... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Lance Armstrong's reported comeback won't take place with the Astana cycling team.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

“Share the Road.”

Since: Jul 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Sep 9, 2008
"If it would be true that Armstrong wants to come back it would be stupid for us to say no," Maertens said, "but it's not the case."

Even I think this man should stay retired. Pro athletes have a hard time letting go and coming back often leads to a tainted reputation.

Joe Namath
Michael Jordan
Joe Montana
Bret Favre...We'll see about this one.

If he wants to ride, he could sign with any team he chooses. He's linked himself to Astana because they use Trek Bikes, which Lance has a stake in.

You've won 7 Tours, never tested positive for anything, you have a great charity that is doing great things, you go out with movie stars and rock stars. Stop already and live the good life.
Concerned Citizen

Austin, TX

#2 Sep 9, 2008
I don't know about a tainted reputation. His finish in Leadville was quite an accomplishment. While not a pro race, it was still a strong showing for someone who is used to the road.

“Share the Road.”

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Sep 9, 2008
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I don't know about a tainted reputation. His finish in Leadville was quite an accomplishment. While not a pro race, it was still a strong showing for someone who is used to the road.
The guy is a fitness nut (singular). When he retired I saw an interview with him. They asked him what he was going to miss the most. he said being in such good shape. I guess he never really stopped that regime.
your daddy

San Francisco, CA

#4 Sep 9, 2008
MAYBE HELP BRING SOME CREDIBILTY BACK TO THE SPORT...GO LANCE...STICK IT THE FRENCH'S AZZ ONE MORE TIME
Really

Pleasanton, CA

#5 Sep 9, 2008
"MAYBE HELP BRING SOME CREDIBILTY BACK TO THE SPORT".
You must be joking and/or talking about Neil Armstrong, but definitly not Lance Armstrong !
flaxcracer

Hollywood, FL

#6 Sep 9, 2008
Really wrote:
"MAYBE HELP BRING SOME CREDIBILTY BACK TO THE SPORT".
You must be joking and/or talking about Neil Armstrong, but definitly not Lance Armstrong !
Name a time when he has NOT been crdible. Never tested positive for blood doping. Won 7 Tours. Has a great cancer survivorship foundation. There's probably less dirt on him than any of the POTUS & Vice candidates do. He is already a part of the voluntary non-competative blood doping program. He may not win the tour, it's hard enough to win one, but the other riders will be looking for him.
Dude

Boca Raton, FL

#7 Sep 9, 2008
WHY do these guys bother retiring?

From now on, all athletes 'thinking about retirement' should be required to take a season off.

This way we'd eliminate the teary-eyed cry fest at the podium and how they're going to miss everyone - only to see them back a year later with big smiles.
flaxcracer

Hollywood, FL

#8 Sep 9, 2008
Dude wrote:
WHY do these guys bother retiring?
From now on, all athletes 'thinking about retirement' should be required to take a season off.
This way we'd eliminate the teary-eyed cry fest at the podium and how they're going to miss everyone - only to see them back a year later with big smiles.
How many times are the Stones going to have a farewell tour?
Enough Already

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#9 Sep 9, 2008
I lost a lot of respect for him when he started dating an Olsen twin.

“Share the Road.”

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Sep 10, 2008
Enough Already wrote:
I lost a lot of respect for him when he started dating an Olsen twin.
A while back I was in Memphis in a bar. They had a countdown clock, like the one's they had for Y2K, exept this one had a picture of the twins with a countdown to thier 18th birthday stating "countdown till legal".

Now that's just funny!
Really

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Sep 10, 2008
"Name a time when he has NOT been crdible. Never tested positive for blood doping. Won 7 Tours. Has a great cancer survivorship foundation"
First, not testing positive does not mean you did not take anything (ie Marion Jones and few others)
Second : he won some stages during the TDF which have been won by Richard Virenque, who acknowledged he took enhancing drugs. Armstrong bet Virenque's time on the same stage. By drinking spring watter? Humanly impossible.
It has been calculated that the power he develops on a bicycle can not been sustain by a human without taking enhancing drugs on such distance and on such time period. Physically impossible.
He tested positive in 1999, but he could manage to give a medical certificate with a fake date.
Having a "great cancer foundation" does not make you a "clean" bicycle rider.
joel goodman

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#12 Sep 10, 2008
Aw shxt!
I was hoping it was Louis Armstrong--not that junkie bike rider.
Tired of the Hype

Boca Raton, FL

#13 Sep 10, 2008
flaxcracer wrote:
<quoted text>How many times are the Stones going to have a farewell tour?
Agreed! But the worst with a farewell tour lasting like 5 years, CHER! Leave already!

“Share the Road.”

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#14 Sep 15, 2008
Really wrote:
"Name a time when he has NOT been crdible. Never tested positive for blood doping. Won 7 Tours. Has a great cancer survivorship foundation"
First, not testing positive does not mean you did not take anything (ie Marion Jones and few others)
Second : he won some stages during the TDF which have been won by Richard Virenque, who acknowledged he took enhancing drugs. Armstrong bet Virenque's time on the same stage. By drinking spring watter? Humanly impossible.
It has been calculated that the power he develops on a bicycle can not been sustain by a human without taking enhancing drugs on such distance and on such time period. Physically impossible.
He tested positive in 1999, but he could manage to give a medical certificate with a fake date.
Having a "great cancer foundation" does not make you a "clean" bicycle rider.
In 1999 he tested positive for Cortisone which had prior approval to use in a cream form for saddle sores. Not EPO or Testosterone. He has been tested at the olympic training center in Colorado Springs and by Chris Charmichael for Vo2max levels and has tested higher tahn anyone before (although Greg Lemond will say he tested higher). So I don't buty any of it. Cheating goes on in every sport but that doesn't mean that every winner was cheating.
bee

Winnipeg, Canada

#15 Sep 15, 2008
flax Are you sure that is correct, Im sure I remember that he didnt have it on his medical forms for the race.

“Share the Road.”

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#16 Sep 16, 2008
bee wrote:
flax Are you sure that is correct, Im sure I remember that he didnt have it on his medical forms for the race.
It was a mix up between the organizations. You have WADA, USADA, and the French Doping agency. He got permission from one of them but one of the others didn't know somehow. Besides, it was Cortisone. That's not a performance enhancing drug.

“crystelZENmud”

Since: Jan 07

Reality City

#17 Sep 16, 2008
yo Flaxcracer (?)

you may like to read the article from 2001, maybe the LAST article ever written in FR that actually supported the man who, at that time, had one 3 of his seven TdFs...

This is MY blog, and it's MY translation, so feel free to share with friends, the original article is found in Vélo Magazine (which, like l'Equipe, is owned by Tour-owners ASO):

http://crystelzenmud.blogspot.com/2008/02/200...

I also do 'WADAwatch':
http://WADAwatch.blogspot.com/

Where were you when we were debating Floyd here on Topix? heh heh

cheers,
zenM
flaxcracer wrote:
<quoted text>Name a time when he has NOT been crdible. Never tested positive for blood doping. Won 7 Tours. Has a great cancer survivorship foundation. There's probably less dirt on him than any of the POTUS & Vice candidates do. He is already a part of the voluntary non-competative blood doping program. He may not win the tour, it's hard enough to win one, but the other riders will be looking for him.

“crystelZENmud”

Since: Jan 07

Reality City

#18 Sep 16, 2008
fyi: WADA was not yet 'really' an organization (in 1999), and the CODE wasn't internationally approved (until 2003, although obviously drafting activities took more than two years)...

USADA "As of October 2000, the USOC transferred all of its doping control responsibility for tests conducted after October 1, 2000 to USADA."
http://www.usatf.org/about/legal/antidoping/u...
(my 'first Google hit' for a quick authority)

ZENtwo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alexandre Vinokourov Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vinokourov to fight blood doping charge (Jul '07) Jul '11 Mikee 78
News Tour de France: Major doping scandals (Jul '11) Jul '11 My Opinion_El Pas... 5
News Cadel Evans favorite to win Giro d'Italia (May '10) May '10 Demondden 1
News Alexandre Vinokourov due to reunite with Astana... (Aug '09) Aug '09 My Opinion_El Pas... 5
News Tour warns Armstrong over testing (Sep '08) Aug '09 SpeedyPete 55
News Kazakhstan cyclist Vinokourov wins time trial a... (Aug '09) Aug '09 zhamba 1
News Tour chief hails clean race, but says war is no... (Jul '09) Jul '09 tattookevin 1
More from around the web