If Lance Armstrong wants to redeem hi...

If Lance Armstrong wants to redeem himself, he has to stop lying to us

There are 15 comments on the CBS Sports story from Oct 18, 2012, titled If Lance Armstrong wants to redeem himself, he has to stop lying to us. In it, CBS Sports reports that:

Only one way out of this mess, Lance Armstrong. America can love a fallen hero, but only if he admits the fall -- and apologizes for lying about it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS Sports.

Gus

Vancouver, Canada

#1 Oct 19, 2012
LIVESTRONG!
My_Opinion_El_Pa so_Texa

United States

#2 Oct 19, 2012
The one thing that has been positive in this whole mess is that all the dominos have been falling and riders are beginning to come out calling for a cleaner sport and cleaner cycling teams.

But, most important is that everyone has pointed to UCI as being the most currupt and needed to be cleaned out.

Rabbobank in their announcement of pulling their sponsorship out of cycling teams made it quite clear that it was the curruption of the UCI that pushed them to their decision and the UCI went very quiet as they were not about to attack Rabbobank considering that in a courtroom with all of their lawyers, Rabbobank would tear a new ass out of the UCI!
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#3 Oct 20, 2012
My_Opinion_El_Paso_Texa wrote:
The one thing that has been positive in this whole mess is that all the dominos have been falling and riders are beginning to come out calling for a cleaner sport and cleaner cycling teams.
But, most important is that everyone has pointed to UCI as being the most currupt and needed to be cleaned out.
good point well made My_Opinion_El_Paso_Texa. It is clear that all of us who contribute sensibly on this forum really want the same thing. ie cycling clean and healthy going forwards with success.
It is easy to voice off points on how this can be achieved, yet there are always many sides to an issue and not everything is straightforward. A good example is the "get rid of all past dopers out of the sport" as many have maligned the sport going forward. As there are clear connections between ex doping cyclists and present day team directors/support staff. Who have brought further generations into the doping climate they cycled under themselves. Examples form bjorn rjiis/ Johan Bruyneel. But do we put David miller and Jonathan Vaughters ownership and association with team gaimin in the same light? i would argue that they have done more and continue to do more than most in the sport. So we can not move forward with a fixed rule suits all method.
Yet, besides the good progress made it still feels like extraordinary measures are needed to make sure the past and i am sure some present is not allowed to continue or occur again.
We all know the uci needs a total overhaul and that its remit needs to be amended. Not an easy thing to do, and unlikely to happen under the current regime. I know many on this forum also take issue with wada and usada to name just two of the responsible governing bodies with influence and jurisdiction in the area. Without going into and getting bogged down in the whole mandate, overstepping, legality ect issues. I would just like to make one point about these and similar organisations. They are the good guys in all of this, and irrespective of what blame/differences you may have with them. They are and have been up against it,+ remembering that they are the good guys/cops in all of this is important. Maybe i am alone in having this opinion, but i feel that they have had the hardest job and some have been too quick to put the knife in when really we should be doing everything to support them in this uphill battle.
I feel strongly also that major figure like la should be brought to book, in order to set the right image and precedents for the future( i know some disagree, but lets agree to disagree on this one) The question marks some have voiced over sky are scary tome. I at present do not think they are guilty of anything and feel they are doing things the right way. Although i do understand some of the queries being made about them. I hope and feel it should be incorporated into cycling's future ( maybe through a separate body to the uci designed to hear grievances and suspicions and given powers to be able to go verify as best they can), that questions asked of teams and suspicions should from now on be met with teams meeting them head on and no more flat denials. If sky are questioned then sky should let an independent assessor visit and stay whenever with the team and given an all access role to check any queries.
The whole sport should embrace openness and put in the past the denials without substance of the past. I feel strongly that cycling could make a lead in sports with this kind of stance. I am fed up of hearing about "poor cycling" + "what about other sports" Cycling has a horrific past and should not be surprised it is viewed so dimly. If we want change we need to be revolutionary in our methods.
I would be interested in others views on this and look forward to hearing others thoughts and ideas on the way forward.
We should read views like the above sentence in all cycling bodies literature and remits.
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#4 Oct 20, 2012
good point well made My_Opinion_El_Paso_Texa. It is clear that all of us who contribute sensibly on this forum really want the same thing. ie cycling clean and healthy going forwards with success.
It is easy to voice off points on how this can be achieved, yet there are always many sides to an issue and not everything is straightforward. A good example is the "get rid of all past dopers out of the sport" as many have maligned the sport going forward. As there are clear connections between ex doping cyclists and present day team directors/support staff. Who have brought further generations into the doping climate they cycled under themselves. Examples form bjorn rjiis/ Johan Bruyneel. But do we put David miller and Jonathan Vaughters ownership and association with team gaimin in the same light? i would argue that they have done more and continue to do more than most in the sport. So we can not move forward with a fixed rule suits all method.
Yet, besides the good progress made it still feels like extraordinary measures are needed to make sure the past and i am sure some present is not allowed to continue or occur again.
We all know the uci needs a total overhaul and that its remit needs to be amended. Not an easy thing to do, and unlikely to happen under the current regime. I know many on this forum also take issue with wada and usada to name just two of the responsible governing bodies with influence and jurisdiction in the area. Without going into and getting bogged down in the whole mandate, overstepping, legality ect issues. I would just like to make one point about these and similar organisations. They are the good guys in all of this, and irrespective of what blame/differences you may have with them. They are and have been up against it,+ remembering that they are the good guys/cops in all of this is important. Maybe i am alone in having this opinion, but i feel that they have had the hardest job and some have been too quick to put the knife in when really we should be doing everything to support them in this uphill battle.
I feel strongly also that major figure like la should be brought to book, in order to set the right image and precedents for the future( i know some disagree, but lets agree to disagree on this one) The question marks some have voiced over sky are scary tome. I at present do not think they are guilty of anything and feel they are doing things the right way. Although i do understand some of the queries being made about them. I hope and feel it should be incorporated into cycling's future ( maybe through a separate body to the uci designed to hear grievances and suspicions and given powers to be able to go verify as best they can), that questions asked of teams and suspicions should from now on be met with teams meeting them head on and no more flat denials. If sky are questioned then sky should let an independent assessor visit and stay whenever with the team and given an all access role to check any queries.
The whole sport should embrace openness and put in the past the denials without substance of the past. I feel strongly that cycling could make a lead in sports with this kind of stance. I am fed up of hearing about "poor cycling" + "what about other sports" Cycling has a horrific past and should not be surprised it is viewed so dimly. If we want change we need to be revolutionary in our methods.
I would be interested in others views on this and look forward to hearing others thoughts and ideas on the way forward.
We should read views like the above sentence in all cycling bodies literature and remits.
elad

La Quinta, CA

#5 Oct 20, 2012
Gus wrote:
LIVESTRONG!
LIESTRONG!
My_Opinion_El_Pa so_Texa

United States

#6 Oct 20, 2012
At one point you state that you are interested in hearing the views of others, while at the same time you criticize those same views as worthless since you deem them unworthy and not up to your standard.

Opinions are like the noses on everyone's face, everyone has an opinion as they have a nose.

But, most people develope their opinions from the various news articles and eveidence they are able to read in order to come up with an opinion, rather then just snatching it out of the air.
Some of us here have been far more involved here along with cycling and racing in cycling as well. And YES! Doping in other sports absolutely does have merit and importance since the USADA is mandated to clean up ALL DOPING in ALL SPORTS here in the United States. Yet, they havn't done anything in relation to that issue.
Cheers
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#7 Oct 21, 2012
My_Opinion_El_Paso_Texa wrote:
At one point you state that you are interested in hearing the views of others, while at the same time you criticize those same views as worthless since you deem them unworthy and not up to your standard.
Opinions are like the noses on everyone's face, everyone has an opinion as they have a nose.
But, most people develope their opinions from the various news articles and eveidence they are able to read in order to come up with an opinion, rather then just snatching it out of the air.
Some of us here have been far more involved here along with cycling and racing in cycling as well. And YES! Doping in other sports absolutely does have merit and importance since the USADA is mandated to clean up ALL DOPING in ALL SPORTS here in the United States. Yet, they havn't done anything in relation to that issue.
Cheers
sorry if i have done that , genuinely. All opinions matter and count. Some more than others. Where have i done this? are we talking above or in a different thread?
Anyway sorry, that is unless your opinion was a load of rubbish or i did not like it. Then shove it up.......... only joking
:)
GeeMan

Broxburn, UK

#8 Oct 21, 2012
turtle is that you upsetting people you want to agree with!
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#9 Oct 22, 2012
GeeMan wrote:
turtle is that you upsetting people you want to agree with!
kinda looks like i could have an argument with myself doesn't it

I guess there are no others around here who could possibly fit into that category are they ? Because if they are we could all go and argue together forever!!
turtle

Huddersfield, UK

#10 Oct 22, 2012
Relating to the article this thread is about. Does anyone think that lance will have it in him to own up. I am not sure if its his arrogance/personality/stubborn ness that is stopping him or the financial consequences that will result in the aftermath of a full confession.
What do you think girls and boys ?+ if he did, would that redeem him to you? for me personally, he will never redeem himself but i know i am in the minority in my own home on that count. There are three other cycling enthusiasts here, and at least two would be happy to take him back into the fold i sadly think. The other one showing indifference, but that might have more to do with their present social and love life than anything else to be honest.
GeeMan

Broxburn, UK

#11 Oct 22, 2012
To me it has no bearing on what I think about LA if he admits or not.

In Cycling he was the best of his era at TDF as he exclusively concentrated on that event and not the classics or other GT's.

Away from Cycling he was maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but his single minded drive made his charity what is and helped millions.

His legacy will be based on both but in time his charity will be, in my opinion, his primary reminder of his mark in the world.

The one thing that sets him aside, for me, from other Athletes is his never ending charity work and he could easily have taken his money and disappeared to enjoy it but he didn't.

He could easily have done an Anquetil and said everyone does it what is the deal? A blanket shot that would keep him from being singled out. Not his style with his loyalty to the omerta culture.

Time will tell.
My_Opinion_El_Pa so_Texa

United States

#12 Oct 22, 2012
As I had written somewhere in one of these threads about the other riders who were in the 2nd, 3rd, etc positions during the 7 TDfs were also dopers, I have to think that Lance Armstrong did well in winning 7 TDFs.

Having read various threads in other cycling forums, the majority of cyclists there believe that Lance Armstrong will never admit to doping. Yet many believe that if he did admit his guilt that many people would think kinder of him then if he doesn't admit to anything.

Then again, many people have forgiving other athletes for their own doping and went on as usual.

I believe that he still did a lot for cycling around the world and here in the United States.

He cooked his own goose in that he made too many enemies and slowly they reacted against him to the point where USADA was able to bring him down.

I don't feel sorry for him as he is an adult,but his children are a different situation and I hope that they are not being harrased at school.

I believe that any doper should recieve a lifetime ban from sports, but I don't like how USADA conducted this case.
GeeMan

Broxburn, UK

#13 Oct 22, 2012
@ El Paso cannot agree more.

On the 7 TDF wins you will not find any cyclists who rode these races who would say he was not the winner, Jalabert has come out now and supported his as deserving the Titles.

I read on another forum that if we take all the Titles and reassign them Carlos Sastre would get 6 or 7 and one in 2005 he came 21st! He won in 2008 in his own right but remove all dopers or associated with it and he gets all that.

That being said he has also done some assents faster than dopers have and he is not considered to be amongst the best climbers and the others were on EPO. So how can we reasonably reallocate titles!

Lifetime ban no come back is the only way to deter it and have it introduced after the amnesty.
I see

Lexington, KY

#14 Oct 23, 2012
Lance is a Cheating lying SOB
My_Opinion_El_Pa so_Texa

El Paso, TX

#15 Oct 23, 2012
GeeMan wrote:
@ El Paso cannot agree more.
On the 7 TDF wins you will not find any cyclists who rode these races who would say he was not the winner, Jalabert has come out now and supported his as deserving the Titles.
I read on another forum that if we take all the Titles and reassign them Carlos Sastre would get 6 or 7 and one in 2005 he came 21st! He won in 2008 in his own right but remove all dopers or associated with it and he gets all that.
That being said he has also done some assents faster than dopers have and he is not considered to be amongst the best climbers and the others were on EPO. So how can we reasonably reallocate titles!
Lifetime ban no come back is the only way to deter it and have it introduced after the amnesty.
Main reason the ASO have decided to leave the 7 TDF's in question EMPTY!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cycling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you want to buy all kinds of cycling jerseys? (Dec '11) Wed Matthew Griffin 3
News Greg Lemond demands 'corrupt' cycling czars resign (Oct '12) Aug 7 Bikers 7
News Cycling: Lance Armstrong 'still lying' says USA... (Jan '13) Jun '16 Greg McManom 29
Wheel'n Wood Apr '16 Billy Smith 1
News Mattis is a no, so who else is there? Apr '16 charlie foxtrot 1
How To Connect A Bicycle Chain (Feb '16) Feb '16 NewYorkView 1
How To Remove A Bicycle Chain (Feb '16) Feb '16 NewYorkView 1
More from around the web