Miguel Indurain: 'The image of cycling is being ruined'

Sep 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Velonews

Five-time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain called the dark clouds over professional cycling "sad" on Thursday, and said he wasn't sure what should happen to Lance Armstrong's seven Tour titles.

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Dec 9, 2012

Since: Aug 12

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

The image of cycling was already ruined. It just took a while for the news to get to the US because most Americans, until recently, always believed at least Armstrong is clean.

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

On a second note its quite funny that someone like MIGUEL INDURAIN adds suggestions on how to support clean cycling.
GeeMan

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Judged:

I completely understand where you are coming from with reports of his retirement resulting from the increased doping regime, measures intoduced away from comptition testing as well as his 'inhaler' positive test in 1994!

He is however still someone seen within the inner sanctum of the UCI.

As a Cyclist he was one of the most highly regarded by his fellow riders due to his team ethics before he became a team leader and his curtesy to opposition riders at the end of stages by not competing for wins whilst collectng Grand Tour Titles. A real political operator in the Sport in and out of competition.

He is however another great rider who has some controversy around his time in the Sport but there is obviously less money to be made from him by ex-team mates than with Armstrong! In my opinion.

Phetchaburi, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Back then there were no reliable methods of testing EPO. One of his biggest rivals, bjarne riis, already admitted he was doping back then (without any pressure or evidence against him)
Indurain commented that "he doesnt understand why Riis is confessing now after all these years" and didnt seem very bothered or annoyed (he did lose to Riis once after all.

It is pretty ironic reading his late statements on the Armstrong case, thats all.
Lee Z

Escondido, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

With Landis and Hamilton providing doping info and USADA stripping Armstrong of his wins since mid-'98, we're at a point that we can't just slap the lead transgressor with penalties and let it go at that. The "genie is out of the bottle". You really have to start digging and root out all the dopers. The problem is where do you stop? How about all the great Tour riders who have been known to use "stuff". Strip them of their palmares? This is a potentially 30 year detective story. But what about other sports?
GeeMan

Worcester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Lee Z in principle what you say is correct but if you denounce 1 rider then you need to do them all and my personal opinion is that anyone who rode in the EPO days, and its not to say these are over just now, took it. The record book would be blank and the action affects IOC also and they are currently saying LA will keep his Bronze!

On other Sports they, to me, are all the same as we have seen Skiers alleged as dying from over use of EPO, same with Cyclists but their banes are always well protected so the story is never as big as it should be.

The only way Sport will rid iteself of doping is when those who are running it whilst promoting it and also in charge of doping controls are separated.

WADA may be cited as that body but they are born from IOC who run, promote and set dope testing standards so you you cannot get away from the link.

My opinion is get someone like Michael Ashenden to set up what is needed and we may start to see something that resembles a good and clean way to seek and find doping.

Ashended walked away from WADA because they wanted to 'muzzle' him (his words not mine) by demanding all scientists at or associated to WADA are not allowed to speak about any tests without approval from the executive and are also not allowed to talk about tests for 8 years. A gagging order so to speak.

If the genuine agenda is catch dopers constructively then a clean out is needed and new set up started with someone of integrity and not power crazed or out for themselves.

Just a footnote also is USADA have increased their number of Athletes they have been chasing in the last few years which may look like a positive action by them however it also cooincides with Travis Tygart taking a pay cut for a performance related pay deal and the records show he now earns more than on his basic salary before the change!
Another little known point is that Directors of USADA are allowed to select the person who succeeds them so if Travis is OK with it go ahead, nothing like keeping it a tight ship.

The truth is not always in front of you and sometimes it never will be but we all must careful of the motives behind the actions of everyone involved in Sports Administration as I would not trust anyone in UCI/USADA/WADA/IOC etc. just now.

The problem in replacing them all is money talks and those apponted will have some sort of reason to be placed there by Politics or Sponsors etc. so we may never reach utopia but that doesnt mean we shouldnt try and Ashenden would be a good start as any nonsense we would hear about it straight away.
Lee Z

Escondido, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Hmmm...5 Tours de France in a row!! When do we start going after Indurain?
Lee Z

Escondido, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Indurain tested positive for a banned substance at one point. And let's look at Hinault's palmares. All done without extra help? The point is Armstrong should get punished for his fraud, theft and excess but don't just stop there with the most obvious. Indurain's and Hinault's palmares just beg for investigation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cycling Discussions

Search the Cycling Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Last week,i bought a very cheap cycling jersey (Sep '10) Fri Jeremy 2
Hope 2014 Tour is Clean Jul 18 Cyclingfan 1
Not Even Lance Deserves This (Dec '13) Jul 3 DCDierking 38
Colleagues pays tribute to 'committed' councillor May '14 GTA Toronto 1
Shadows on the Road, by Michael Barry Apr '14 Donna OBrien 1
Cycling: Lance Armstrong 'still lying' says USA... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 27
Lance Armstrong: Interview with Oprah Winfrey d... (Jan '13) Apr '14 Carly Jane 2 2
•••
•••
•••