Cuba blames 2 deaths in botched smugg...

Cuba blames 2 deaths in botched smuggling on American laws

There are 132 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 18, 2008, titled Cuba blames 2 deaths in botched smuggling on American laws. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Cuba is blaming American immigration laws for the deaths of an 11-year-old boy and a teenager during a botched smuggling operation off the island's northern coast.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
bubba

Miami Beach, FL

#1 Jun 18, 2008
turn off the cuba tap. dont let anymore illegals in the us.
Turn back now

Fort Myers, FL

#2 Jun 18, 2008
Should have stayed home (viva fidel).
Whatever

Miami Beach, FL

#3 Jun 18, 2008
I can't believe that they even print this crap. You dont want to risk drowning, dont get on the water.

“LIGER OMNI PRIME”

Since: Sep 07

WHEREVER FREEDOM DWELLS

#5 Jun 18, 2008
Cuba says 2 die as as smugglers overturn boat
By Associated Press
11:50 AM EDT, June 18, 2008
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: HAVANA - Smugglers fleeing from Cuba's Coast Guard overturned a boat loaded with U.S.-bound migrants to distract pursuers, killing a woman and an 11-year-old boy, Cuba reported Wednesday.

The Communist Party newspaper Granma said the deaths occurred Monday off the northern coast of the central province of Villa Clara.

The smugglers, who were charging US$10,000 a head to take 20 people to the United States, escaped in their speedboat after being surprised by the Coast Guard, the newspaper said.

Granma blamed the deaths on "murderous" American immigration laws that generally allow Cubans who can reach U.S. soil to stay. Cubans found at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard are usually repatriated.

Killed in the smuggling attempt were Yudersi Rosabal Rodriguez, a woman from the central city of Sagua la Grande, and 11-year-old Jorge Luis Nunez Sanchez, from a rural community called La Sierra.

The boy's mother, Vivian Sanchez Cabrera, was also on the boat and survived. She was described as "weeping inconsolably" for the loss of her only child.

I BLAME THE CUBAN GOVT! For it's lack of freedom & non-existence of basic human rights. The people are desperate & will risk anything to get out of that demonic hell created by the castros!
wth

West Palm Beach, FL

#6 Jun 18, 2008
we need to kill cuban smugglers on sight
Joe Somebody

Lake Worth, FL

#7 Jun 18, 2008
Anyone Cuban who fails to make the 90 mile journey is a good Cuban. YOU DONT BELONG HERE!!!!! Our borders are closed go invade another country.
wondering

United States

#9 Jun 18, 2008
It is sad that people are dying trying to come to the USA. However, we have immigration laws that must be enforced. You know for certain that the smugglers are Cubans who live in the USA. They need to be arrested, jailed, then deported.$10,000 a head for the trip? And these Cubans are coming for economic reasons?$10,000 would go a long way in Cuba.
Margaret

Miami, FL

#12 Jun 18, 2008
It's no wonder we have people that don't want to integrate and learn the language. They start out as criminals by entering the USA and the government says ok you can stay. Then no one can figure out why they have a high crime rate. Start enforcing the laws. The situation has changed since the early days of Castro. Fido is not in power and a legal immigration course has been laid down. If you bypass the system you are breaking the law. So do away with the wet/dry foot policy. It's time we start looking out for ourselves.
here we go

Lake Worth, FL

#13 Jun 18, 2008
Life is so great in Cuba, parents are putting themselves and their children in the way of death to get them here.....and this is America's fault? Improve life in Cuba and this wouldn't happen.

Wow, what a bunch of idiotas in Cuba.
PoorHim

AOL

#14 Jun 18, 2008
wondering wrote:
It is sad that people are dying trying to come to the USA. However, we have immigration laws that must be enforced. You know for certain that the smugglers are Cubans who live in the USA. They need to be arrested, jailed, then deported.$10,000 a head for the trip? And these Cubans are coming for economic reasons?$10,000 would go a long way in Cuba.
They prosecute smugglers but they wouldn't exist if family in the US weren't paying them. Those who hire the smugglers should be prosecuted as well. I remember one case where a smuggler was prosecuted and the migrants were all admitted to testify against him. They should have turned in the relatives who made his business lucrative and then been shipped back.Those who hire smugglers are the ones responsible for these deaths.
another boatlift

Lake Worth, FL

#15 Jun 18, 2008
Each time a Cuban lands on American soil, we should charge Cuba $50,000 (which is cheap)for expenses.
another boatlift

Lake Worth, FL

#16 Jun 18, 2008
Margaret wrote:
It's no wonder we have people that don't want to integrate and learn the language. They start out as criminals by entering the USA and the government says ok you can stay. Then no one can figure out why they have a high crime rate. Start enforcing the laws. The situation has changed since the early days of Castro. Fido is not in power and a legal immigration course has been laid down. If you bypass the system you are breaking the law. So do away with the wet/dry foot policy. It's time we start looking out for ourselves.
Amen!
County

Coral Gables, FL

#18 Jun 18, 2008
While they are at it they should mention the 8 floaters that came with the boat load off 158th St. this morning. It is about time people learned about the true death tolls. That way the government may put an end to the wetfoot dryfoot policy due to smuggling.
County

Coral Gables, FL

#19 Jun 18, 2008
The IRS needs to go after the smugglers. They make alot of money off them and don't pay income tax on it.
carcharadon carcharias

Sparta, NJ

#20 Jun 18, 2008
Cuba says 2 die as as smugglers overturn boat
By Associated Press
11:50 AM EDT, June 18, 2008
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Post comment Text size: HAVANA - Smugglers fleeing from Cuba's Coast Guard overturned a boat loaded with U.S.-bound migrants to distract pursuers, killing a woman and an 11-year-old boy, Cuba reported Wednesday.

The Communist Party newspaper Granma said the deaths occurred Monday off the northern coast of the central province of Villa Clara.

The smugglers, who were charging US$10,000 a head to take 20 people to the United States, escaped in their speedboat after being surprised by the Coast Guard, the newspaper said.

Granma blamed the deaths on "murderous" American immigration laws that generally allow Cubans who can reach U.S. soil to stay. Cubans found at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard are usually repatriated.

Killed in the smuggling attempt were Yudersi Rosabal Rodriguez, a woman from the central city of Sagua la Grande, and 11-year-old Jorge Luis Nunez Sanchez, from a rural community called La Sierra.

The boy's mother, Vivian Sanchez Cabrera, was also on the boat and survived. She was described as "weeping inconsolably" for the loss of her only child.

I BLAME THE CUBAN GOVT! For it's lack of freedom & non-existence of basic human rights. The people are desperate & will risk anything to get out of that demonic hell created by the castros!
dog hater

Forest Park, GA

#21 Jun 18, 2008
PLEASE,PLEASE,get rid of the cuban adjustment act and get rid of the cubans as well.This is an outrage that has gone on too long!!!
Midnight Rider

Delray Beach, FL

#22 Jun 18, 2008
NO MORE OF THIS WET FOOT DRY FOOT CRAP. ANYONE FROM ANYWHERE WHO ENTERS THE U.S. SHOULD BE RETURNED BACK HOME IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER.

“My 2 cents”

Since: Mar 08

USA

#23 Jun 18, 2008
This embargo has to stop. I'm all for securing the borders. But let's be real. Too many people are dying. I'm not Cuban, nor am I related to any, but I think that this embargo is hurting the people of that country badly.

10000 is a lot of money in cuba. Why pay a smuggler? They could just fly down there and give the family 10000 to stay there and live really well.
Bob

United States

#24 Jun 18, 2008
I don't feel sorry one bit. Come here through the proper channels and I'll welcome you with open arms. Those two tried to enter into the U.S. illegally and I'm glad to see they died. Too bad the rest didn't die with them (The smugglers too).
Justifiably Bellicose

West Palm Beach, FL

#27 Jun 18, 2008
Bobby wrote:
The 11-year-old kid is somewhat innocent, but his mom deserves it.
That's fair to say, I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Clara, Cuba Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News U.S. sent Latin youth undercover in anti-Cuba ploy (Aug '14) Jun '15 paul shykora arts 9
News United Airlines plans to offer flight between H... (Jan '15) Mar '15 WE JUST DONT CARE 11
News Surprise!: Cuban dictatorship breaks a pledge t... (Jan '13) Feb '15 Brandon Lee 22
News There's more to Cuba than Veradero (Dec '14) Dec '14 Doc Proper 3
News Crisis Fuelled Resurgence of Horse-Drawn Carria... (Oct '14) Nov '14 Smith and Wesson 7
News Gay democracy activist in Cuba awaits sentencin... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Michael 40
News Cuban LGBT advocate arrested for 'peaceful prot... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Don from Canada 14
More from around the web