'King of the Congas' dies in Cuba

'King of the Congas' dies in Cuba

There are 6 comments on the BBC News story from Feb 4, 2008, titled 'King of the Congas' dies in Cuba. In it, BBC News reports that:

“Fame did not extend beyond the stage. Once you left the stage, it was like the signs said: 'Whites only'”

Guines had played with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis Tata Guines, Cuba's most famous percussionist, has died of a kidney infection in Havana. via BBC News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BBC News.

“America la bella!!”

Since: Jan 07

que Dios te bendiga

#1 Feb 5, 2008
RIP. He did the wrong decision back in 1959, thinking that Castro was going to fullfill all his promises to Cuban People.( as 99% of Cuban did) and he end up beeing more segragated than ever, with no chances to live in a free world and play his music as he wishes. He was not giving oportunities as an Artist but let him in poverty and sorrow until he passaway....... by the Communist Goverment of Cuba.
victor

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 5, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
RIP. He did the wrong decision back in 1959, thinking that Castro was going to fullfill all his promises to Cuban People.( as 99% of Cuban did) and he end up beeing more segragated than ever, with no chances to live in a free world and play his music as he wishes. He was not giving oportunities as an Artist but let him in poverty and sorrow until he passaway....... by the Communist Goverment of Cuba.
Please stick to willy chirino and hansel y raul dear...you have no idea whatsoever who this man was or what he did,or why he did it.He could have been in this country anytime he wanted...and he played anything he pleased...stick to calle ocho all stars.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#3 Feb 5, 2008
victor wrote:
<quoted text>Please stick to willy chirino and hansel y raul dear...you have no idea whatsoever who this man was or what he did,or why he did it.He could have been in this country anytime he wanted...and he played anything he pleased...stick to calle ocho all stars.
Victor Why are you allways in favor of the Government of Cuba. You may think you know much..but beleive me do no know nothing. This man was allways Prohibited to come here, and I happen to know him better than you He was family to Generoso Jimenez just pass away at 90,(my dear friend), that also was not allowed to travel until three years ago. Victor dont be so sabelotodo and keep frying your malanga fritters over your ""chatarra fast "" quiosko.
victor

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 5, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
<quoted text>Victor Why are you allways in favor of the Government of Cuba. You may think you know much..but beleive me do no know nothing. This man was allways Prohibited to come here, and I happen to know him better than you He was family to Generoso Jimenez just pass away at 90,(my dear friend), that also was not allowed to travel until three years ago. Victor dont be so sabelotodo and keep frying your malanga fritters over your ""chatarra fast "" quiosko.
Its malanga fritters that pays for and continuos to pay for my childrens education..So you know him better than me. We cubans all know everyone better than everyone else..Did you say you were also present at his home for various "jam" seccions..And you also said you have had lunch with him right??You must have lots of pictures right? And yes,he did tell you the last time you spoke how much he wanted to come here. Right!! Just asking dear,cause I dont know a thing.Yes tell me about your dear friends and how when you last got together with Tata in the alley and shared some musical stories..Please dear,dont keep those stories to yourself..Share them with us.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#5 Feb 5, 2008
victor wrote:
<quoted text>Its malanga fritters that pays for and continuos to pay for my childrens education..So you know him better than me. We cubans all know everyone better than everyone else..Did you say you were also present at his home for various "jam" seccions..And you also said you have had lunch with him right??You must have lots of pictures right? And yes,he did tell you the last time you spoke how much he wanted to come here. Right!! Just asking dear,cause I dont know a thing.Yes tell me about your dear friends and how when you last got together with Tata in the alley and shared some musical stories..Please dear,dont keep those stories to yourself..Share them with us.
Come on Victor knock it off....tell stories? you are a jerk!!!, you answer my first post with contradictions and I answer it back...Try to have a nice year as you mentioned ....I guess you are frozen your as@ upthere.

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#6 Feb 5, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
WELL SAD AND VERY TRUE!LET'S HIM REST IN PEACE!MAY GOD BLESS HIS SOUL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guines, Cuba Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fernando Mederos (Guine uno) (Mar '09) Aug 8 proteston jaja 22
hand injury Jun '15 Chan 1
Ingenio Amistad (Nov '09) Apr '15 Juan Izquierdo 6
News St. Charles Student Part of Mission Trip to Cuba (Mar '13) Apr '13 Don from Canada 11
Mayabeque River (Oct '09) May '12 rachel 2
Parque Marti (May '10) Jan '12 hayler 3
Cental Park (May '10) Jul '11 Roxana 6
More from around the web