Masonic Cemetery: 'This is the history of the town'

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

There are a lot of stories at the Masonic Cemetery at 760 S. Compress Road, and Judy Bennett, the cemetery's superintendent, knows pretty much all of them.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated May 19, 2011
PublicServant

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Great as always from Jeff. However, Judy Bennett has been fired from her post for unfounded reasons. After all the work she has done to promote the lives and stories of the people who are laid to rest there, what a slap in the face of our historical preservation and the people who work to keep the memories of these people alive. Shame on them. Thanks to Judy for all her efforts.
Sergio Castillo

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Sounds like a great lady. Ironically, I found out she was fired on Monday, May 16th. How can anyone be so insensitive and do something like this! People like Judy Bennett are valuable assets that set an example for all of us, and should be treated with dignity and respect.
Thank you.
Sergio Castillo, NMSU student
Joel Martinez

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Smells like age discrimination to me.
Bob Jones

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

The Aztec Masonic Lodge should be ashamed. They allowed their current "Master" to fire Mrs. Bennett without cause so he could have a job. They not only fired her for no cause but have now opened themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit based on age and gender. I hope they get what they deserve.
Karen George

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

In my position as historian of the Dona Ana County Historical Society, I met w/ Mrs. Judy Bennett when doing research. She is an amazing resource for researchers & our community. Hopefully she will be restored to her position. We cannot afford to lose her.
native New Mexican

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Interesting timing on the article. Was Mr. Barnet informed about her termination or just told a 'long windy' about her ability to tell stories? He should have gotten the other side of the story too. I see her 'cronies' have popped up with comments and information not discussed in the article.
Doing the job you're being paid to do is how you keep a job. If the Historical Society wants to pay her to tell them stories, they can pay her salary. Public discussion of her qualifications and work history is inappropriate at this time.
Wayne Martin

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

native New Mexican wrote:
Interesting timing on the article. Was Mr. Barnet informed about her termination or just told a 'long windy' about her ability to tell stories? He should have gotten the other side of the story too. I see her 'cronies' have popped up with comments and information not discussed in the article.
Doing the job you're being paid to do is how you keep a job. If the Historical Society wants to pay her to tell them stories, they can pay her salary. Public discussion of her qualifications and work history is inappropriate at this time.
Wow...I just stumbled across this nice little article and then read the comments. It seems to me calling a woman from a historical society a "cronie" is a little harsh. But I guess if I were, as you appear to be, a "cronie" for the "other side of the story", and I read that we had opened ourselves wide open for a lawsuit, I'd be a little defensive too. But it was a nice article.
native New Mexican

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

I saw the same article was printed in another Sun News section over a week ago, so the context of the story is changed - in my mind. I'm glad many recognize the areas in which Mrs. Bennett does have skills. She deserves full recognition for her long history in the community. And, yes, I've been a party to trying to get some facts and finances straightened out - for years. The business end needs to managed by a business person.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••