Costa Rica rattled by 7.6 earthquake,...

Costa Rica rattled by 7.6 earthquake, tsunami warning issued

There are 5 comments on the Christian Science Monitor story from Sep 5, 2012, titled Costa Rica rattled by 7.6 earthquake, tsunami warning issued. In it, Christian Science Monitor reports that:

An earthquake struck off the Pacific Coast of Costa Ricka Wednesday. It was locakted about 38 miles from the town of Liberia and 88 miles west of the capital, San Jose.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Christian Science Monitor.

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

formerly Nuneaton

#1 Sep 5, 2012
Hmm that one is new.

Will pick up details on NEIC website tomorrow.

Current location (Locackted) in pic looks like innner forearc and likely to be one of the classical ones with heavy damage in nearby towns.

Looks like I am not the only one to suffer typos on unfamiliar library kit.

Region appears to be the segment containing Rincon de La Vieja volcano. Will also now be watching that space, as magma in deep fractures squeezing into volcano often results in large quakes in forearc to relieve local compressive stress ahead of propagating magma filled fracture.

Have a nice day: Ag
Recent natural disasters

Kathmandu, Nepal

#2 Sep 5, 2012
One women reported to be dead from a heart attack suffered during the earthquake. Around 30 people people reported to be injured. Injured people are having treatment currently at various clinics in Filadelfia, Guanacaste
For (Live Updates) Massive earthquake in San Jose, Costa Rica
http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/09/massiv...

formerly Nuneaton

#3 Sep 5, 2012
Recent natural disasters wrote:
One women reported to be dead from a heart attack suffered during the earthquake. Around 30 people people reported to be injured. Injured people are having treatment currently at various clinics in Filadelfia, Guanacaste
For (Live Updates) Massive earthquake in San Jose, Costa Rica
http://www.disaster-report.com/2012/09/massiv...
Thanks for info.

Now retiring from library & will be watching details on news channels.

Renee

Quesada, Costa Rica

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Hi Adrian
I live at the base of Arenal volcano in La Fortuna. I heard the earthquake (or the volcano) this morning and of course felt it. There is a large new crack and or crevice in it. What do you make of that. Take a look at this pic https://www.facebook.com/BreakCentralAmerica . We heard on the radio that there was a state of emergency for the volcano,but then heard nothing. How can I follow what is going on with that volcano [email protected] thanks for the help
Adrian Godsafe MSc wrote:
Hmm that one is new.
Will pick up details on NEIC website tomorrow.
Current location (Locackted) in pic looks like innner forearc and likely to be one of the classical ones with heavy damage in nearby towns.
Looks like I am not the only one to suffer typos on unfamiliar library kit.
Region appears to be the segment containing Rincon de La Vieja volcano. Will also now be watching that space, as magma in deep fractures squeezing into volcano often results in large quakes in forearc to relieve local compressive stress ahead of propagating magma filled fracture.

formerly Nuneaton

#5 Sep 10, 2012
Renee wrote:
Hi Adrian
I live at the base of Arenal volcano in La Fortuna. I heard the earthquake (or the volcano) this morning and of course felt it. There is a large new crack and or crevice in it. What do you make of that. Take a look at this pic https://www.facebook.com/BreakCentralAmerica . We heard on the radio that there was a state of emergency for the volcano,but then heard nothing. How can I follow what is going on with that volcano [email protected] thanks for the help
<quoted text>
Got the pic

New crack in Arenal appears to be a landslide scar in the old cone. Degassing pic appears more interesting, appears that mainfault extended from under peninsula out into shallow ocean and is releasing gas trapped in folds in the inner forearc under the peninsula (similar situation to gas/oil in Petrolia california & Trinidad/Tobago system hydrocarbon kitchens).
Arenal is worth watching in near future but will take a few weeks/months for deep magma in fracture set (horizontal at 35 to 80Km depth) to divert upward. Arenal has been quiet before now so will "pop" a little in forthcoming months (don't hold breath waiting as time gap of months may be double digit), time gap between quake and eruption likely to be long if major event was distant from volcano along strike of arc graben, and if under Rincon de la Vieja (or NW. of...) will appear there instead.

Also note: Activity @ San Cristobal (Nicaragua) is unrelated as it is much further away. Relations between volcanoes is however due to the major quake & tsunami at close of "Mayan Apocalypse" era in ~950AD. This event at absolute close of mayan polity city state era was result of rebound/long duration, mercalli X (r/lx) event which decompressed the Guatemala cordillera backrange and popped out the Chiapas backarc basin, Guatemala arc, Salvador backarc basin, and Central America backarc basin down to david at the triple junction; (Bloody great big tsunami). Largest runout & longest recompression interval time was at Guatemala, with runout decreasing with distance NW, and SE.
The r/lx was important as it relaxed the crust producing the deep magma filled fractures in the arc & backarc which imported magma trapped in the base crustal discs under the previously horizontally compressed & tight crust. R/lx is the only time that this magma can be tapped and is a very important process for arc & backarc volcanology, without it the trapped magma in the discs would pond & catastrophically melt the crust producing supervolcanoes & a sillar apron similar to the Altiplano.
Activity therefore is distantly related but only as a result of recompression following the r/lx, and magma in the base of the crust in fracture set will generally propagate along the arc first and rise through the volcanoes to erupt only when it has nowhere else to go (usually because a segment boundary transform fault between 2 adjacent volcanoes produces an impassable barrier).

Last r/lx produced a tsunami 10m+ in New Zealand. Last NZ teletsunami of similar size was ~550AD possibly 535AD, same time as formation date of 2 small impact craters in gulf of Carpentaria Australia & sympathetic r/lx of arcs in Indonesia & Papua, and was probably from Ecuador (currently searching for palaeotsunami evidence to go along with major uplift, tilt and river course change affecting Moche of N. Peru around @ that time).

More notes: Area Near David, Panama is now VERY compressed and all fractures to Baru were squeezed flat a long time ago with S.Costa Rica & N.Panama now in a major seismic gap visible in historic seismicity on NEIC website. This part is in the very latest stage of recompression and undergo r/lx relatively soon. That definitely is a bit of the world to watch closely. r/lx minimum will produce an event similar to Chile 2010 (~12m), and may be double the runout (25m) if it behaves as a backarc basin. Volcanoes to watch there would be Turrialba & Poas (currently fizzy).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Liberia, Costa Rica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southwest Airlines announces service to Liberia... (May '15) May '15 areyoukidding 1
News Judge arrested for stealing bail, child support... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Railroad 2
News Just in: 6.0 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Costa R... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Crazyvicky 1
News 7.6 quake hits Costa Rica; Tsunami warning issued (Sep '12) Sep '12 neobyzantine 1
News Fox Davies Capital Update featuring Ortac Resou... (Feb '12) Feb '12 japri19 1
News JetBlue Airfare Deals (Oct '11) Feb '12 infoseeker 3
News Nationalist And Concession Agreements; Uplift L... (Aug '11) Aug '11 scott armed 1
More from around the web