Brown's budget would put Yolo County'...

Brown's budget would put Yolo County's Monroe Detention Center beyond capacity

There are 17 comments on the Daily Democrat story from Jan 15, 2011, titled Brown's budget would put Yolo County's Monroe Detention Center beyond capacity. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

The budget Gov. Jerry Brown presented this week calls for the most sweeping criminal justice overhaul in state history -- the elimination of the youth prison system and an end to prison terms for thousands of low-risk adult convicts who, going forward, would be housed in county-run jails instead of the state's teeming lockups.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

Three Strikes

Colfax, CA

#1 Jan 15, 2011
Hey Jerry, why don't you roll back three strikes that can send someone up for 25 years to life with three theft crimes. Then we wouldn't have this problem in the first place. Get a clue.
Obama Sucks

United States

#2 Jan 15, 2011
Don't blame me for this idiot being in office I didn't vote for him.....I was smarter than that but all the Californians that did vote for this bone-head hopefully will enjoy taking it from the backside! Brown noser already has a HORRIBLE track record in California but you STILL voted for him.

Next time you vote......THINK FIRST!

“Always questioning”

Since: Jul 10

Madison

#3 Jan 15, 2011
Obama Sucks wrote:
Don't blame me for this idiot being in office I didn't vote for him.....I was smarter than that but all the Californians that did vote for this bone-head hopefully will enjoy taking it from the backside! Brown noser already has a HORRIBLE track record in California but you STILL voted for him.
Next time you vote......THINK FIRST!
And with that comment from the slime pile, we move on.
LH Puttgrass

Meadow Vista, CA

#4 Jan 15, 2011
Why keep offenders closer to the very "families" that spawned them? Those "families" should be billed for the entire cost of incarceration - ta daaa! Problem solved. Failure pays for failure.
Decent families stay decent by disowning any members that turn criminal.
Really

United States

#5 Jan 15, 2011
LH Puttgrass wrote:
Why keep offenders closer to the very "families" that spawned them? Those "families" should be billed for the entire cost of incarceration - ta daaa! Problem solved. Failure pays for failure.
Are you for real? Simplistic response to a complex issue that has no chance of ever being considered by anyone. But, it's a free country. Keep the ideas coming.
LOL

Grass Valley, CA

#6 Jan 15, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Are you for real? Simplistic response to a complex issue that has no chance of ever being considered by anyone. But, it's a free country. Keep the ideas coming.
Ahhh, yes, the Oregon goo-goo liberal checks in. The liberals think that all issues are complex so all responses must be also. Not so, lefty, not so at all. Billing these cruds for their jail time is a very good idea. Put a lien against their assets (cars, homes, etc.) and tax refunds (if they ever decide to go to work). Make it hard to live as a criminal and then the problem would correct itself.
What Evrrr

United States

#7 Jan 15, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>Are you for real? Simplistic response to a complex issue that has no chance of ever being considered by anyone. But, it's a free country. Keep the ideas coming.
Hey igna'nt one - in CA Sheriff's can require inmates pay but do not bill or have ability to collect.
Mike

Rio Linda, CA

#8 Jan 15, 2011
This would be a perfect solution to the problem. Law makers are finding creative ways to save money. Well, this is a simple idea that should be taken into consideration.
LH Puttgrass wrote:
citizen

Maxwell, CA

#9 Jan 15, 2011
It sound like we have a real problem with over population in this state. look at the numbers. I myself am a third generation to this state. I've never been convicted of any crime. It is so simple, keep your nose clean! The other solution, I as a big supporter of sterilisation (population control). If this were part of our society, we would not have so many bad blood people in our society. I gave birth to one child, that was enough for me. And with no help form the welfare system.
Kate B

Orinda, CA

#10 Jan 15, 2011
I don't see one post here that even makes any sense for the subject at hand! Understand what the purpose of the proposition is.
NUMBER ONE: At the end of the article it clearly made reference to the number of "prison" inmates that spent Less so many days in prison (QUOTE: "According to state reports, 11,000 prisoners served less than 30 days in 2009 and 47,000 served three months or less."), but the COST of housing and transporation TO PRISON is Outrageous! Why not save that money and keep them in a County Facility. Sounds like an Ginormous ClusterWad to me.
NUMBER TWO: Again, we're talking about QUOTE: "the elimination of the youth prison system and an end to prison terms for thousands of low-risk adult convicts ". Obviously, there couldn't be an absolute elimination of the youth prison system, but we could afford to provide More and Better Rehabilitation and Correctional Services, which would help a whole lot more than sending them to Prison! As well: the 'thousands of low-risk adult convicts'- aren't we, as a community, a friend of or possibly a family member to someone who currently is or might be: a Low Risk Offender? Either serving or looking at possible Prison Sentence? It's just a matter of time.
Aren't we better off, reducing our liabilities, by "Working Smarter and Not Harder?" By being Penny Wise and not Pound Foolish? At $6K a month to house a prisoner for say a 7 year term at half, the state is looking at a minimum of:$252,000 and almost NO CHANCE of rehabilitation?
OR how about? Residential treatment for a minimum of 6 months at $3K per month and another 6 months of Aftercare at say $1K - that's a year of rehabilitation for $18K - and a MUCH HIGHER percentage of SUCCESS than Prison! At a MUCH LOWER cost!!!!
We're Not talking about violent offenders here, I'm guessing 99% of these Low-Risk offenders? Are here because of DRUGS -- and what they Really Need is HELP!!!
Judge not - least ye be judged! Many of those out there casting judgement - it's only a matter of time before YOU get pulled over for a DUI - or your daughter goes to jail for possession and/or your wifes pain pill prescription?
THINK ABOUT IT. Even for those counties at max capacity - isn't it better to put some money into building a bigger and better facility? It will also to help stimulate the economy in the areas, providing more jobs to not only build the facilitues to run them as well. AND WE AN SAVE LIVES.
citizen

Dixon, CA

#11 Jan 15, 2011
Kate B: please send a letter to your Congress Rep, if you have not done so already regarding this issue. Your post is full of nothing but common sense solutions.
Kate B

Orinda, CA

#12 Jan 15, 2011
citizen wrote:
Kate B: please send a letter to your Congress Rep, if you have not done so already regarding this issue. Your post is full of nothing but common sense solutions.
So, does that mean I shouldn't post on-line in this genre' because it appears that the common denominator is 'idiocracy'? My bad?~LMAO~
Woodland

Fair Oaks, CA

#13 Jan 15, 2011
LH Puttgrass wrote:
Please, get real ding dong!
Gohome

United States

#14 Jan 15, 2011
Send the ilegals back to Mexico when they get arrested and we will save a lot of money.
Yup

Elk Grove, CA

#15 Jan 15, 2011
Great, we´re laying off cops and letting the bad guys out of prison. Does anyone realize how bad you have to screw up to get to prison now days. If they´re in prison, they belong there.
Stated Obvious

United States

#16 Jan 16, 2011
Kate B wrote:
I don't see one post here that even makes any sense for the subject at hand! Understand what the purpose of the proposition is.
NUMBER ONE: At the end of the article it clearly made reference to the number of "prison" inmates that spent Less so many days in prison (QUOTE: "According to state reports, 11,000 prisoners served less than 30 days in 2009 and 47,000 served three months or less."), but the COST of housing and transporation TO PRISON is Outrageous! Why not save that money and keep them in a County Facility. Sounds like an Ginormous ClusterWad to me.
NUMBER TWO: Again, we're talking about QUOTE: "the elimination of the youth prison system and an end to prison terms for thousands of low-risk adult convicts ". Obviously, there couldn't be an absolute elimination of the youth prison system, but we could afford to provide More and Better Rehabilitation and Correctional Services, which would help a whole lot more than sending them to Prison! As well: the 'thousands of low-risk adult convicts'- aren't we, as a community, a friend of or possibly a family member to someone who currently is or might be: a Low Risk Offender? Either serving or looking at possible Prison Sentence? It's just a matter of time.
Aren't we better off, reducing our liabilities, by "Working Smarter and Not Harder?" By being Penny Wise and not Pound Foolish? At $6K a month to house a prisoner for say a 7 year term at half, the state is looking at a minimum of:$252,000 and almost NO CHANCE of rehabilitation?
OR how about? Residential treatment for a minimum of 6 months at $3K per month and another 6 months of Aftercare at say $1K - that's a year of rehabilitation for $18K - and a MUCH HIGHER percentage of SUCCESS than Prison! At a MUCH LOWER cost!!!!
We're Not talking about violent offenders here, I'm guessing 99% of these Low-Risk offenders? Are here because of DRUGS -- and what they Really Need is HELP!!!
Judge not - least ye be judged! Many of those out there casting judgement - it's only a matter of time before YOU get pulled over for a DUI - or your daughter goes to jail for possession and/or your wifes pain pill prescription?
THINK ABOUT IT. Even for those counties at max capacity - isn't it better to put some money into building a bigger and better facility? It will also to help stimulate the economy in the areas, providing more jobs to not only build the facilitues to run them as well. AND WE AN SAVE LIVES.
You don't work in the system do you?

Notice, little to nothing noted re: Non-revocable parole and it's stats. Maybe you can share the stats re: parolee failure rate for Prop 36? BTW what happened to prop 36?

Also your Bible excerpt is incomplete. The gist of the context of the passage addresses judging with the same measure (and not multiple/double standards).

Additionally, your DUI example is a poor one people are not generally committed to state prison for DUI.

- nuff said -

“Always questioning”

Since: Jul 10

Madison

#17 Jan 16, 2011
LOL wrote:
<quoted text> Ahhh, yes, the Oregon goo-goo liberal checks in. The liberals think that all issues are complex so all responses must be also. Not so, lefty, not so at all. Billing these cruds for their jail time is a very good idea. Put a lien against their assets (cars, homes, etc.) and tax refunds (if they ever decide to go to work). Make it hard to live as a criminal and then the problem would correct itself.
So you must thinks all issues are so simple that a simplistic answer will solve it. You really don't want to delve in to research, case histories or other nonsense like that, do you? You would instead like to justify your answer with some moronic ”“goo goo” name calling thinking it will bolster your argument...sorry. It only identifies you as another sideline quarterback with no clue feebly trying to appear intelligent. Sorry, again. 15 yards and loss of down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yolo County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News County office hosts annual presentation on Cali... Jan '17 Birds Landing Bob 1
News Sheriff says 'no reason to disbelieve' Sherri P... Dec '16 MelaniaIsATranny 6
Yolo County Arrest Records and Criminal Mugshots Oct '16 Michael 2
News Another Woodland gang-related murder in almost ... (Jul '16) Jul '16 mother81 1
See Something, Say Something to Law Enforcement (Feb '16) Feb '16 Elisa 1
News Davis murder suspect arraigned (Jan '08) Feb '16 Elisa 11
HELP STOP UNJUST PERSECUTIONS of TAXPAYERS in A... (Jun '14) Dec '15 Un agenda 21 and ... 15
More from around the web