Rescue squad in Wythe Co. needs help ...

Rescue squad in Wythe Co. needs help paying the bills

There are 6 comments on the WSLS-TV Roanoke story from Sep 14, 2011, titled Rescue squad in Wythe Co. needs help paying the bills. In it, WSLS-TV Roanoke reports that:

They are the people you hope you'll never need, but here in wytheville, nearly sixty people a week do...and rescue crews say response times might become slower, if they don't get some much needed financial help "It's not going to hurt me as much as it is going to hurt the community," said Beth Criggins , Director of the Wythe Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSLS-TV Roanoke.

A Friend of Guardian

Beckley, WV

#1 Sep 14, 2011
I am a friend to the people that run Guardian Ambulance. I can tell you that they support the Rescue Squad and want to see it healthy and thriving. Guardian tries to avoid competing with the squad on emergency calls. So, I donít understand why certain representatives of the Rescue Squad are determined to bad mouth Guardian in their plight for funding.

I understand that the squad needs more funds. Maybe they should concentrate on providing emergency service, improving their organization and less time attacking good people. The squads running non-emergency calls puts miles on equipment, it diverts personnel and resources from emergency availability and there are at least two other services that will fill this need if allowed.

Guardian is not perfect. And as the Rescue Squad has found out, you donít collect very much of what you bill. But they try their best to provide good services to their patients and to the community. Guardianís management does not wish to compete with the Rescue Squad. From the beginning they have helped the squad when asked. They have often supplied drivers and patient attendants, free of charge, to the squad over the years when crew was short. Guardian tries to fill the niche of calls that is outside the purpose of the Squadís founding. Why, all of a sudden, do some of the paid members of the rescue squad want to create this competitive situation?

Iím sure Guardianís management wants the Squad to get the support it needs. Please give them your support. But let them know how you feel about fair play and mudslinging. Let them know you would feel better knowing that they are professional and level headed and business minded enough to make the best use of their funding. Childish games do not instill confidence.

I know it hurts me to see and hear the hurtful statements against Guardian. I'm sure it really hurts those at Guardian.
resident

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Sep 14, 2011
"Bad mouth Guardian"???

What are you talking about? I read the article and saw no where where Guardian was even mentioned.

I'm confused!

“Think about it...”

Since: Mar 11

Beckley, WV

#3 Sep 14, 2011
resident wrote:
"Bad mouth Guardian"???

What are you talking about? I read the article and saw no where where Guardian was even mentioned.

I'm confused!
The article only gave part of the story. The radio, town and county meetings included much more than was reported. Part of that was dragging Guardian through the mud. This was not necessary.
seems

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Sep 14, 2011
Seems like it was better when it was a volunteer sqad you never heard about these problems. Personally if the are using donated equipment they should not be charging period. Maybe I do not understand the concept but for 50 years it was volunteer and everything was covered with just as much qualifications as a paid crew sitting around playing cards. The equipment was not purchased by the county or town and they are billing for it?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 15, 2011
I would hope that neither organization would badmouth the other, but would work together to see that the people in this county who are in need of medical attention were able to be cared for. I know that I have been taken care of by both and they have been wonderful to me! I don't have a single complaint about either organization and personally I pray that they DO have free time on their hands to 'play cards', because that means that the people of Wythe County are safe and not in dire need of their services! It is good to know they are there, though, in case we do need them, and I am appreciative of all they do.
humm

Radford, VA

#6 Sep 15, 2011
One problem in Wythe County with EMS is that there are too many different personalities within the different squads.

The county needs to look into other paid county wide agencies ie. REMSI in Pulaski.

The days of all volunteer EMS in a county with 2 major interstates is a thing of the past

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wythe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snitches Oct '17 fedup 1
Cindy Jones who does she think she is! (May '12) Aug '17 Ariel 13
jsgirl Jul '17 JSGIRL 1
Trey johnson (Feb '17) Feb '17 Knowitall 1
you have no chance with a court appointed attor... (Nov '16) Nov '16 wytheman 1
Costa Coffee Background Check (Nov '16) Nov '16 Jack 2
News Rural Retreat home invasion investigated (Aug '15) Jul '16 Desure 3
More from around the web