Wythe County Rescue manages more calls with fewer people

Jun 18, 2012 Full story: WSLS-TV Roanoke 11

With calls up 22 percent when compared to this time last year, and the squad writing off around $120,000 in unpaid bills, tough decisions had to be made Calls have been keeping crews busy at the Wythe County Rescue Squad, which serves both the Town of Wytheville and parts of the county, but they have been taking on the heavy load with a much ... (more)

Full Story
ronald

Wirtz, VA

#1 Jun 18, 2012
Should have left it a volunteer squad. Keep your fat asses out of the restuarants and the other squads won't be running your calls. There was never this hoopla when it was a volunteer squad. Beth you did this to Wythe County!!
Sandra

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jun 18, 2012
Beth has never did anything but strived for the best for this rescue squad. If she and her employess had half the resources the other squads do then she could show you how a real squad is run. Give them credit, they are very professional and customer oriented. Beth, JD and some others have dedicated their lives to making this squad a success, even when others in local government try to tear it down. Of course, that's always political. The town wanted to put in a grassy medium to block businessess but doesn't want to
help with squad funding. Go figure??
Reality

Newark, OH

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Sandra wrote:
Beth has never did anything but strived for the best for this rescue squad. If she and her employess had half the resources the other squads do then she could show you how a real squad is run. Give them credit, they are very professional and customer oriented. Beth, JD and some others have dedicated their lives to making this squad a success, even when others in local government try to tear it down. Of course, that's always political. The town wanted to put in a grassy medium to block businessess but doesn't want to
help with squad funding. Go figure??
The squad never had these problems when it was a volunteer squad. Have to agree with Ronald. I still remember how she threatened the BOS!! Not professional if you ask me!!
Larry

Greenville, SC

#4 Jun 19, 2012
Its funny that people believe this crap didn't go on back when the squad was volunteer. I knew some of the old members and it WAS this bad when it was volunteer it just wasn't public because everything they did was secret. That squad started going downhill when the Callahans took over in the 90s and if I remember they are the ones that started adding the paid people after they ran off all of the volunteers.
Firefighter

Hardy, VA

#5 Jun 19, 2012
The Wytheville Fire Department is just as hard up for volunteers so we can't blame departments for trying to cover their calls by whatever means. I know if I need a fire truck or an ambulance I want there fast even if that means we have to pay for people to be there. Is our town so behind on the times that they think 100% volunteer still works? Reality check, get with the program. Why don't we try for a 100% volunteer sheriff's department or town police department and see where that goes? Why doesn't the Town manager volunteer for a year?
Give Me A Break

Wytheville, VA

#6 Jun 19, 2012
The town cuts out it's $10,000 donation and it costs the squad 11 positions? Get real! The squad needs to figure out a better way to fund itself than on the donations from the Town and County. The $35,000 the two give COMBINED, isn't enough to fund one full-time paid position with benefits, so don't tell me that cutting out a $10,000 crippled the squad, and eliminated 11 positions. That's a fallacy, and nothing more.
Tim

Hardy, VA

#7 Jun 19, 2012
I think it is ridiculous that the town only provided $10,000 to the Rescue Squad when they spend $1,910,225 on the Police Department and $588,345 on the "VOLUNTEER" fire department. How many calls does the fire department answer a year? Maybe 200? Do they really need $588,345?? And they get money from the County as well, so a VOLUNTEER fire department gets over $600,000 in funding and the rescue squad gets $35,000?? Where is the logic in this??
Give Me A Break

Wytheville, VA

#8 Jun 19, 2012
Tim,

First: You are apparently only looking at the expenditures side of the ledger. Towns receive some funding from the state to put towards their police department budgets. I don't know what the exact amount is, but it's not an insignificant amount. Would you prefer we go to a volunteer police force?

Second: The town's Fire department is NOT a VOLUNTEER fire department. There are a number of paid full and part time fire fighters, and there duties don't stop with answering fire calls. Perhaps there is some need to cut more there, but that would only lead to more bitching on these forums.

The fact of the matter is, people want services, but they don't want to pay for them. That's the bottom line with ALL levels of Government.

I'm not necessarily saying it's you, but It's real easy for folks to sit at theirs computers drinking Pepsi Colas and smoking cigarettes, calling all the county and town government officials idiots, but. Balancing a budget, on the other hand, is no easy task when everybody in the county has there hand out, and none of them want to pay for what they receive.
Tim

Hardy, VA

#9 Jun 19, 2012
If the Towns and Counties are so good at balancing budgets why don't they absorb the fire and rescue departments and run it how they feel it should be ran. How much revenue does the fire department generate for the Town? From looking at their budget it says Fire Services generates $19,000 in revenue. They receive $8,481 in state monies for the fire department. So they recover $27,481 of a $616,826 budget (between Town, County, & State Funding). Sounds like it's self sufficient to me..

Also, the FIREFIGHTERS are all volunteer. If you call it that, they get paid so much per call. The full time and part time paid career positions are just engineers, which means they drive the fire truck to the scene and then turn on the water, they don't actually fight the fires, that is coming straight from a member of the department. As for their other duties, they direct traffic sometimes and provide security for the Chautauqua Festival. Going back to ronald's comment, I have seen the firefighters eating in restaurants in that brand new dodge firetruck the town just bought, I bet if they'd get their "fat asses" out of the restaurant the town could save money on fire services.

I am not saying volunteer is the way to go with anything, I am just trying to make a point. Would YOU want an all volunteer police department? If not, WHY do you think rescue should be volunteer?

My problem is the fact that people typically support funding Police and Fire departments but automatically assume that EMS should be provided by volunteers. I've even heard people fuss because the squads in our county bill. Seriously? If the government isn't providing it, and donations can't sustain it, WHERE do people think the funding is going to come from?

I personally applaud ALL volunteers for what they do. People EXPECT a lot out of volunteers and then very rarely say THANKS.
Sarah

Hardy, VA

#10 Jul 26, 2012
ronald wrote:
Beth you did this to Wythe County!!
I hate it but I agree with ronald... does anybody know how they are doing now???? Its sad that the whole squad is blamed for the bad choices of one person... why is she left in power to keep destroying the squad????
Peachy

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 27, 2012
Well, I'm not that well versed in funding, etc. but I think the Wythe Co. Rescue Squad is a great group of people. Anyone that can do the job they do should be praised and not made fun by competition. I don't think anyone is destroying the squad. They all are doing the best they can in this economy. Give credit where credit is due. You may have to depend on these people one day to save your life so act like a decent human being.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wythe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wythe County to host concussion workshop for fo... Aug 22 lefty 2
George Wythe Hotel Receives $600,000 Grant From... (Dec '11) Jun '14 Logan 21
Dogs Deserve Better' protests in Wytheville (Mar '14) Mar '14 Billy 19
Dogs in a Box (Aug '12) Mar '14 Mary Mooney 17
Town Of Wythe Sex Offenders (Feb '14) Feb '14 NotAFan 1
Drivn (Mar '11) Nov '13 Kay 3
Wythe manufacturers merge to form Somic America (Feb '10) Oct '13 Wilbur 76
•••

Wythe County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE