Keeping Yourself Safe

Keeping Yourself Safe

There are 4 comments on the KAUZ story from Sep 18, 2007, titled Keeping Yourself Safe. In it, KAUZ reports that:

" I'm just barricading myself, watching where where I go no I used to could walk the block and not even have to worry about it, now you have to worry about your back," says Wichita Falls citizen Linda Fulk. via KAUZ

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KAUZ.

max

Bryant, AL

#1 Sep 24, 2007
just where is all the police in wichita falls?
Christian reader

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Sep 25, 2007
There aren't as many as you might think... Depending on the day and the shift, there might be less than a dozen officers on the street, including the shift supervisors. This is due to the fact that cops get sick, are on vacation, have days off, are required to attend training classes, or are in court... I'm sure they most likely don't have as many officers on the payroll as what they are allotted, but there are a lot of issues regarding that - the city doesn't let them hire all that they need and/or the public doesn't flock to take the entrance exam like they used to (in days gone by, 400 or more people would show up to take the test, but now there's less than 50)... The WFPD does the best it can with what it has.
Jalba Lekthusian

Wichita Falls, TX

#3 Sep 25, 2007
They are spread very thin..many doing 2 different jobs in the organization.
Christian reader

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Sep 25, 2007
It is not necessarily that they are doing more than one job within the department. There are certain numbers assigned to patrol, motors/traffic, accident investigation, internal affairs, detectives (adult and juvenile), narcotics, the drug task force, DARE and other community services. Then there are the supervisors ranging in rank from sgt to chief. Last I heard, WFPD was allotted 185 officer positions and they generally only have around 170 or so - some of the loss is through retirements, people quitting, etc... When you take that number and remove everyone from the picture except for patrol, you are probably left with around 75 officers. Then, you take that number and divide by three shifts and take days off, vacations, and illness into consideration... The town is divided into six sections; some sections have two or three officers schedule to work each section or beat. At times, there are four officers scheduled for a beat, but that is usually during the day when there is a lot of PR work that needs to be done... Anyway, the point is, there aren't enough officers to go around. Its not like they just don't drive down certain streets, it just takes them a while to get there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wichita County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steven M. Williams Interview (Nov '07) Sep '15 My name is Nobody 32
News Burk Property Owner Arrested (Jun '10) Aug '15 anonymous 3
News Man sentenced to five years in prison for sexua... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Sorry 1
News Man Tased on Highway 287 Dies (Feb '15) Feb '15 Toots 2
left behind (Dec '14) Dec '14 thomas anthony no... 1
News Patriotic Parade (Jul '14) Jul '14 Serious answers o... 1
News Robert James 'Bob' Dawson (Mar '12) Mar '14 iowa park inside 2
More from around the web