Tennessee man is charged in Whitley C...

Tennessee man is charged in Whitley County killing

There are 15 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Jan 21, 2012, titled Tennessee man is charged in Whitley County killing. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

Keith E. Mason, 41, of Oak Ridge, was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Robert Wayne Vanover, 60, of Corbin, said Whitley County Sheriff Colan Harrell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

well

Manchester, KY

#1 Jan 28, 2012
i sure hope mr vanover was armed with a gun and keith mason didnt shoot an unarmed man...
umn

United States

#2 Feb 2, 2012
How can u shoot someone who is NOT ARMED 3 times and clam self defense? This Guy is only charged with manslaughter! Honestly, how violent and how threating could a 60 year old man be?
baldy

Sikeston, MO

#3 Feb 3, 2012
I know some 60 year old men that are bad as hell,no jokeing
curious

Richmond, KY

#4 Feb 3, 2012
bobby was not armed and he weighed about 140 pounds has been sick with cancer he was no threat to this man it was cold blooded murder
I know facts

Murray, KY

#5 Feb 4, 2012
well wrote:
i sure hope Mr Vanover was armed with a gun and keith mason didn't shoot an unarmed man...
Robert Wayne was not armed! He got into trouble when he was in his late teens he and a couple more guys for having some pot,therefore he had no gun rights. Thirty five years later he was caught with a gun in his car and
Robert had spent two years for having a gun in his car so after that he would not have chanced having a gun again. That is the only time Robert served time and that two years after a 35 year period prior.This is fact!
I know facts

Murray, KY

#6 Feb 4, 2012
well wrote:
i sure hope mr vanover was armed with a gun and keith mason didnt shoot an unarmed man...
Mason sure did shot an unarmed man! Unarmed and harmless man!When one shots one in the chin in the chest and in the stomach and fires five times this tells me he wasn't protecting himself he had to kill the individual and bloody well did. I just think it is awful and should have to die in prison or worse!
Hummm

Coronado Ntl Forest, AZ

#7 Feb 6, 2012
Then Mr./Ms. I know Facts... Why dont you bring up all the family abuse that your Mr. Robert Vanover did to the family. I dont see you talking about that either. You are trying to paint a man that abused his kids and ex-wife to be a harmless man... Ok Take a look in the mirror and really think about what kind of a person Bobby was. Why would Bobby just all of a sudden hit Keith??? When he wasn't suppose to be in the area at all!!! Keith had to feel really threaten by Bobby to do what he did. Keith is not a violent person not one bit. I am sorry about Bobby but that doesn't mean he wasn't in the wrong. Keith you are in our prays and we love you!!!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#8 Feb 6, 2012
Keith is the one that is sick.
Hector

Madisonville, KY

#9 Feb 6, 2012
Bobby was a no a count thug. They also didn't say anything about his meth arrests in and around 2000. All I can say is one less thug in Whitley County.
Hummm

Coronado Ntl Forest, AZ

#10 Feb 7, 2012
Bobby was not a helpless innocent man by no means....
Old Friend

White House, TN

#11 Feb 23, 2012
Anyone who knows Keith also knows how poor his health is and that he is not violent. It's easy to sit and judge someone and say you would have done things different, but you don't know what you would do unless it happened to you. The fear that someone puts in you as a child never goes away. You have no idea what that man put that famiy through.
Mango Tango

Saugus, MA

#12 Mar 10, 2012
The Anderson brother did it for a smal amount of money.
countrygal

Nashville, TN

#13 Mar 18, 2012
You have failed to mention that Bobby's son Kevin told the officer that he thought his dad was just goofing off shooting his gun when he heard the shots. This means that his son, who he was with him that day, knew he had a gun. You also fail to mention that the first time bobby was shot, he stumbed back and then came running back at Mr. Mason. This would imply that Vanovers intent is to kill or harm the person he is running at after the person shot him. If you know your facts, then how bout you start sharing all of them not just what you think will better the reputation of Mr. vanover and ruin the rep of Mr. Mason.
curious

Richmond, KY

#14 Mar 18, 2012
i heard that mason got out of jail, grand jury said self defense,no witnessess,see ya
Megan Yates

Fulton, KY

#15 Mar 19, 2012
What in the world was Keith doing snooping around Kevin's home in the first place, suspecting that the vehicle was Bobby's truck? Sounds to me like Keith was looking for trouble. And enough with the "childhood abuse." If there is no proof, it is NOT fact. Why was he not charged with child abuse? Why did Betty stay with him for years with all of these allegations of abuse? Doesn't sound like very reliable information. I am now 21 years old and have been around Bobby since the day I was born. I never once felt threatened by him... I was loved and adored by Bobby as a matter of fact just as he loves and adores all children, which brings me to my next point. Bobby loved his two children and tried for years to get in contact with them. If it weren't for Betty brainwashing Jennifer and Kevin, they would have had a great relationship! Every attempt he made to communicate with his kids, he was shot down. Not by them but by their mother who felt the need to speak for them. Tell me why Kevin's grandparents raised him if Ms. Betty was such a loving/wonderful mother? Kevin did not want to live with Betty so what was the reason behind that? Needless to say, Kevin is now without a father and will have to live with the regret of not finding Bobby sooner and building a relationship with him because a drug addict(if you haven't seen his mugshot, please do so to verify) chose to be selfish and take his life. Oh and might I add, if Keith was scared of a 60 year old man weighing in at 140(+/-) lbs, with no weapon... he is nothing but a coward. A real man doesn't have to use a gun to fight his battles. Not to mention, Keith is trying to use the government to get disability yet does plenty of heavy lifting behind closed doors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whitley County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Girl name Cassandra Dec 9 Leave it 2
News Police investigating triple homicide in Whitley... Dec 5 ben 202
canada town market (Jan '17) Dec 1 Pissoff 5
News Loved Ones Mourn Missing Laurel County Teen Fou... (Jul '16) Dec 1 Pissoff 25
Girl name Cassandra Dec 1 Boyfriend 1
County sheriff’s Nov 29 Sampson 1
Whitley County Music Thread (Oct '13) Nov '17 Musikologist 10
More from around the web