Homeless population on rise in Dalton

Mar 15, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Citizen

When Wilbert Waller had an appointment at the Department of Family and Children Services on North Thornton Avenue, he walked from his "home" - a homeless encampment on the northeast side of town - no matter the ...

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Mar 24, 2009

“Just here”

Since: Nov 07

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

Judged:

This is sad. Why are there no homeless shelters for women here in Dalton?
Tori

Chickamauga, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Judged:

With all the money in Dalton, GA from the carpet
industry - it's a shame all these people are homeles. There are alot of wealthy people here
who can make a difference.

They are the Shaw's, Lorberbaum and the Saul's
they easily afford to donate to these people in
need.
GENEVA COHEN

Grapevine, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

It was so sad to see this story on the front page of the Daily Citizen. I had no idea! We must do something to provide food, shelter and health care. I hope that now people are aware, some help will be given. When I lived in another part of the Country we had a similar situation.We would go as a group to hand out sandwiches, drinks and blankets. The food was donated by local deli's, markets etc. Lets all pray this situation will change.
Jib

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Judged:

maybe they should get a job, the lazy bastards and stop going through my trash looking for cans.

“Just here”

Since: Nov 07

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Judged:

Jib wrote:
maybe they should get a job, the lazy bastards and stop going through my trash looking for cans.
Well, if you're not going to use them. Why not let someone else? Maybe you should tell them to ask first.
GENEVA COHEN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

Read in the Dalton Citizen that Dalton is looking for ways to spend a Grant. I think it should be used to help the homeless. I am all for restoring historical buildings and neighborhoods, but I believe PEOPLE should be our first concern.If the money is used to repair/improve city owned buildings they could be made into living quarters for the homeless. Having their own sleeping areas and kitchen should really help them feel better about themselves. The city should study the programs that have been done in other cities. I have seen some on the news and it is wonderful what can be done. Many are then able to find employment. We need to pray for all the homeless in our country, especially the children. We could all be one step away...from this happening to us.

“Go Buckeyes!”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

GENEVA COHEN wrote:
Read in the Dalton Citizen that Dalton is looking for ways to spend a Grant. I think it should be used to help the homeless. I am all for restoring historical buildings and neighborhoods, but I believe PEOPLE should be our first concern.If the money is used to repair/improve city owned buildings they could be made into living quarters for the homeless. Having their own sleeping areas and kitchen should really help them feel better about themselves. The city should study the programs that have been done in other cities. I have seen some on the news and it is wonderful what can be done. Many are then able to find employment. We need to pray for all the homeless in our country, especially the children. We could all be one step away...from this happening to us.
Some homeless people don't want help.Some
are use to that way of life.

The article talks about one man who says
he has been on the streets for 20 yrs

"ďI pretty much donít have anywhere else to stay,Ē he said.ďI canít afford rent and Iím disabled. Iím trying to get an ID together so I can get some (disability) checks started. Iíve been living on the streets for almost 20 years."
GENEVA COHEN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Shayla G wrote:
<quoted text>
Some homeless people don't want help.Some
are use to that way of life.
The article talks about one man who says
he has been on the streets for 20 yrs
"ďI pretty much donít have anywhere else to stay,Ē he said.ďI canít afford rent and Iím disabled. Iím trying to get an ID together so I can get some (disability) checks started. Iíve been living on the streets for almost 20 years."
Yes you are correct. However, we do not know if or what type of help was offered or available over the years to this man. The help should be offered. It is many times a very big adjustment for those who have lived without a "home" for a very long time. Some want to be and will be helped, others will not want to be helped and will not be. I am sure everyone out there has a very different story.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Whitfield County Discussions

Search the Whitfield County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dalton could get new grocery store Jul 15 Bill 2
Ground Broken for Dalton Manufacturing Facility Jun '14 Seriously 1
Graduation rates, poverty on the rise in Murray (Jan '14) Jan '14 great 1
Hundreds of new jobs coming to Murray County (May '13) Oct '13 Monster 4
Dalton distillers to make authentic moonshine (Sep '13) Oct '13 Boss Lady 3
No fireworks in Dalton (Jul '13) Jul '13 Fact 12
US Rep. Tom Graves' town meetings (Jul '13) Jul '13 David Farrar 1
•••
•••