Hoosier soldier killed in Iraq conflict

Hoosier soldier killed in Iraq conflict

There are 1586 comments on the Indianapolis Star story from Jul 18, 2006, titled Hoosier soldier killed in Iraq conflict. In it, Indianapolis Star reports that:

A soldier from White County was killed while traveling with an Army convoy in Iraq, becoming the fourth serviceman with an Indiana connection to be killed overseas this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indianapolis Star.

heather

Union, KY

#41 Jul 28, 2006
ok. well im done letting this get to me.
heather

Union, KY

#43 Jul 28, 2006
badside wrote:
<quoted text>
good now maybe you'll shut up!
who the hell do you think you are? you don't know me. you just come out of nowhere and tell somebody to shut up!!
an old confused hippy

Fullerton, CA

#44 Jul 28, 2006
Holy Cow guys! I don't know what to think of the administration, except I think we have been lied to. But, I have 2 brothers who have proudly served their time in the corp, and have both served in Iraq. One of them for 3 different tours(don't associate that word with war, huh?)I am also a child of the 60's who knew 5 of the some 52,000 thousand killed and 2 who are still to this day missing in action. I fly an American flag at my home, with a POW-MIA flag under it. I drive an SUV, with a support our troops ribbon, a POW ribbon, and support our firefighters ribbon. I hated the war in Vietnam, and what it did to our young men when they returned home, if they came home. I hate war, but I support our troops. Some of the men in the 60's volunteered, most were drafted, they had no choice, and I think most served our country proud,I wish they were made to feel that way. So, you see even though these guys do not fear the draft and volunteer, they should have every bit of respect we can muster for them. Doesn't mean we have to agree with the government, most don't, I think the polls tell us that. I disagree whole heartedly that they are fools, but I also try to understand where he is coming from. It can not be a pretty sight this thing called war, and unfortunately alot of them cannot recover from what they have seen. But, most of all there were no parades for Vietnam vets, not even much help when they came home. Now, maybe he was harsh at trying to get his point across, but, until we walk in their shoes. We are a lucky country, I just hope the tide is not turning. I fear for the next generation.
csd619

Indianapolis, IN

#45 Jul 29, 2006
an old confused hippy wrote:
Holy Cow guys! I don't know what to think of the administration, except I think we have been lied to. But, I have 2 brothers who have proudly served their time in the corp, and have both served in Iraq. One of them for 3 different tours(don't associate that word with war, huh?)I am also a child of the 60's who knew 5 of the some 52,000 thousand killed and 2 who are still to this day missing in action. I fly an American flag at my home, with a POW-MIA flag under it. I drive an SUV, with a support our troops ribbon, a POW ribbon, and support our firefighters ribbon. I hated the war in Vietnam, and what it did to our young men when they returned home, if they came home. I hate war, but I support our troops. Some of the men in the 60's volunteered, most were drafted, they had no choice, and I think most served our country proud,I wish they were made to feel that way. So, you see even though these guys do not fear the draft and volunteer, they should have every bit of respect we can muster for them. Doesn't mean we have to agree with the government, most don't, I think the polls tell us that. I disagree whole heartedly that they are fools, but I also try to understand where he is coming from. It can not be a pretty sight this thing called war, and unfortunately alot of them cannot recover from what they have seen. But, most of all there were no parades for Vietnam vets, not even much help when they came home. Now, maybe he was harsh at trying to get his point across, but, until we walk in their shoes. We are a lucky country, I just hope the tide is not turning. I fear for the next generation.
Excellent post!
Preacher

Evansville, IN

#46 Jul 29, 2006
USMC Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont worship the flag - I worship the meaning BEHIND the flag. You, on the other hand, just dont get it.
Worship of anything but God is a sin.
Treehugger

Evansville, IN

#47 Jul 29, 2006
heather wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you need to move out of the country, since you dont appreciate it.
No. YOU move out. You have no concept of the meaning of freedom.
Georgie Girl

Glasgow, UK

#48 Jul 29, 2006
Another soldier dies for nothing in the fake war on terror. Who are the terrorists destroying Lebanon with American weapons every day? It was nice of Bush, wrinkled retainer Tony 'Yo' Blair by his side, to say it was a priority of his to ensure that the Lebanese infrastructure would be rebuilt. He was going, he said, to make sure that those left homeless would have houses to live in again. Surreal enough as it stands, but do you think Lebanese television got any Hurricane Katrina coverage? You know, just to cheer them up a bit in the pile of rubble they find themselves in.
USMC Wife

National City, CA

#49 Jul 29, 2006
Georgie Girl wrote:
Another soldier dies for nothing in the fake war on terror. Who are the terrorists destroying Lebanon with American weapons every day? It was nice of Bush, wrinkled retainer Tony 'Yo' Blair by his side, to say it was a priority of his to ensure that the Lebanese infrastructure would be rebuilt. He was going, he said, to make sure that those left homeless would have houses to live in again. Surreal enough as it stands, but do you think Lebanese television got any Hurricane Katrina coverage? You know, just to cheer them up a bit in the pile of rubble they find themselves in.
Who are YOU to say what OUR soldiers fight for?
"fake war on terror"
Look around you honney! Get a clue!
heather

Union, KY

#50 Jul 29, 2006
Treehugger wrote:
<quoted text>
No. YOU move out. You have no concept of the meaning of freedom.
you dont know anything about me, so don't talk to me like you think you do.
an old confused hippy

Fullerton, CA

#51 Jul 29, 2006
csd619 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post!
Thank you.
csd619

Indianapolis, IN

#52 Jul 29, 2006
USMC Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
"fake war on terror"
One would think that some one from the UK, a country like ours that has felt the direct bite of terrorist attacks would appreciate better what these soldiers are dying for. But of course the probable response will be if bush and blair didnt blah blah blah.
USMC Wife

National City, CA

#53 Jul 29, 2006
csd619 wrote:
<quoted text>
One would think that some one from the UK, a country like ours that has felt the direct bite of terrorist attacks would appreciate better what these soldiers are dying for. But of course the probable response will be if bush and blair didnt blah blah blah.
Amen! Always remember - there are MANY MANY Pat Tillmans who are still fighting.
Alamabam

Evansville, IN

#54 Jul 30, 2006
USMC Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
"fake war on terror"
Uh, she just might be a U.S. citizen. You know, democracy and all, like we learned in school? Goverment of the people and all that. Just just might be right too.
Alamabam

Evansville, IN

#55 Jul 30, 2006
USMC Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! Always remember - there are MANY MANY Pat Tillmans who are still fighting.
The Army lied about how he died. Funny how West Point's code incudes "a cadet shall not lie." I guess if you're an active duty general it's ok.

The recruiters have always been liars. Only way to con young men into becoming cannonfodder.
TreeHugger

Evansville, IN

#56 Jul 30, 2006
heather wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont know anything about me, so don't talk to me like you think you do.
And you know nothing about anyone or anything. You started telling people to move away. Don't like your own medicine?
USMC Wife

National City, CA

#57 Jul 30, 2006
Alamabam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Army lied about how he died. Funny how West Point's code incudes "a cadet shall not lie." I guess if you're an active duty general it's ok.
The recruiters have always been liars. Only way to con young men into becoming cannonfodder.
Wether the army lied about his death is not relavent - the reason for him joining and MANY MANY other Americans for that mater is very clear. They sign the dotted line becuase THEY BELIEVE in fighting for this country.
Lionel

Cincinnati, OH

#58 Jul 31, 2006
USMC Wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Wether the army lied about his death is not relavent - the reason for him joining and MANY MANY other Americans for that mater is very clear. They sign the dotted line becuase THEY BELIEVE in fighting for this country.
Not really. Most sign because they believe the recruiters lies about all the cool benefits, job skills, and education they'll get.

Recruiters lie.
Generals lie.
Bush and Cheney lie.

Our guys are dying for nothing.
Lionel

Cincinnati, OH

#59 Jul 31, 2006
csd619 wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I would think that someone intelligent, from the UK, like Gerogie, understands that imperialism is what breeds terrorism. Trying to rule the world with force. England has almost given up on it. USA is just starting.

Too bad they have Blair who is just Bush's puppet. Get him out or there soon cousins!
Amanda Kelly

United States

#60 Jul 31, 2006
The fact is that it doesnt matter who lied and who told the truth. you cant hold that against the members of the armed forces for we are the ones who go out there and protect our country and our rights. even for the people who are against the war and members of the military. let them go live in a middle eastern country and then tell me how precious your freedom of speech and freedom to choose what you want to do with your life and have the opportunities for you. myself and my husband are both active and each day we wake up we face the reality that when we put our uniform on and go into work we have the chance of being told that we are leaving for 6-9 months again so we pack our bags and go. we not only to do this for us, but for our families, friends, and country.
USMC WIfe

National City, CA

#61 Jul 31, 2006
Amanda Kelly wrote:
The fact is that it doesnt matter who lied and who told the truth. you cant hold that against the members of the armed forces for we are the ones who go out there and protect our country and our rights. even for the people who are against the war and members of the military. let them go live in a middle eastern country and then tell me how precious your freedom of speech and freedom to choose what you want to do with your life and have the opportunities for you. myself and my husband are both active and each day we wake up we face the reality that when we put our uniform on and go into work we have the chance of being told that we are leaving for 6-9 months again so we pack our bags and go. we not only to do this for us, but for our families, friends, and country.
AMEN Amanda!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

White County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Leadership White County focuses tourism and loc... (Jan '14) Jan '14 MRW 1
News Armed robbery reported in Monticello (Oct '11) Oct '11 why line 1
What happen to the home town (Jun '09) Jun '09 Mary M 1
News Fire concern along with flood (Mar '09) Mar '09 newkirksouth 2
News Responsible pork production fattens Indiana's e... (Apr '07) Apr '07 JMann 12
News Farmers wait to see what freeze inflicted (Apr '07) Apr '07 Tim 22
More from around the web