Marcellus Shale and our way of life

Marcellus Shale and our way of life

There are 53 comments on the The Pocahontas Times ~ Marlinton West Virginia story from Aug 4, 2011, titled Marcellus Shale and our way of life. In it, The Pocahontas Times ~ Marlinton West Virginia reports that:

In recent meetings of the county commission, we have been hearing from citizens regarding the drawbacks of Marcellus Shale gas drilling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Pocahontas Times ~ Marlinton West Virginia.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#21 Aug 16, 2011
resident of bu wrote:
My dad is a well tender and none of this gas is benefiting this state other than creating jobs for a few years! What are they gonna do when it plats itself out theres gonna be a bunch of unemployed people.
FYI... There is more natural gas in Appalachia than there is oil in Sudi Arabia. Don't think it's gonna 'plat' itself out anytime soon.
local

Waynesboro, VA

#22 Aug 16, 2011
resident of bu wrote:
My dad is a well tender and none of this gas is benefiting this state other than creating jobs for a few years! What are they gonna do when it plats itself out theres gonna be a bunch of unemployed people.
If your dad is a well tender then he has a JOB. Something a lot of other people don't have. Instead of complaining about the Marcellus Shale you should be thankful he is working. As far as benefiting the state and county, you need to check and see how much the companies have to pay for permits and taxes. Yes it messes up the land but I have been to different places aftera the drilling is done and the land reclaimed. Sometimes it is better than it was.
resident of bu

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Aug 16, 2011
I was in harrison co today on two well pads that the wells have been drilled for 12 to 14 months and they still aren't reclaimed. they look pretty nasty and smell it to! my dads been a welltender for over twenty years and is yet to mess with the marcellus crap!Keep right on getting her theres always people fighting with these companys thats just job security for me!!
local

United States

#24 Aug 18, 2011
?
resident of bu

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Aug 19, 2011
I'm a surveyor,and people are always fighting with the gas well companys
larry

Beverly, WV

#26 Sep 11, 2011
look at how much the landowner get off these well.
local res patch pride

Parkersburg, WV

#27 Sep 22, 2011
well if you take evry one on here bitching about the oil patch lets stop and think for a min people where do you get heat for your homes ? where does some or any of your family members work ? the gas for your car truck lawn mowers ect !!!! if it wasnt for the oil patch look of how many people in west va would be with out a job !!! from the gas well tenders to the rig hands down to the guys that cement and frac HMMMMMMMMMMMM wake up and just look at the jobs we have and thank god for naturel gas
Jeeeezus

Buckhannon, WV

#28 Oct 1, 2011
To all of you "rig boys" out there standing up for your shit jobs. Honestly, do you think you are benefitting from anything you get out of the ground? I can guarantee west virginians see none of the oil or gas. Do you think you benefit from the water sources that you're drilling near and then dumping all the unclassified chemicals it takes to frack the well? Everybody appreciates the fact that you're willing to risk your lives to support our greedy little lives that revolve around oil and gas, but that doesn't mean your company couldn't be a little safer about the way they going about it. But these days it's all about that dollar. Regardless of how they get it or how many peoples lives and homes they have to destroy to get that dollar.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#29 Oct 2, 2011
Jeeeezus wrote:
To all of you "rig boys" out there standing up for your shit jobs. Honestly, do you think you are benefitting from anything you get out of the ground? I can guarantee west virginians see none of the oil or gas. Do you think you benefit from the water sources that you're drilling near and then dumping all the unclassified chemicals it takes to frack the well? Everybody appreciates the fact that you're willing to risk your lives to support our greedy little lives that revolve around oil and gas, but that doesn't mean your company couldn't be a little safer about the way they going about it. But these days it's all about that dollar. Regardless of how they get it or how many peoples lives and homes they have to destroy to get that dollar.
Get ur facts straight idiot! Let me guess... U weren't smart enough, or too cheap, to purchase mineral rights when u bought your property. Now you think you and misquote FACTS, whine and cry, and get people to feel sorry for you. Sad!
Jeeeezus

Buckhannon, WV

#30 Oct 4, 2011
Strap68 wrote:
<quoted text>
Get ur facts straight idiot! Let me guess... U weren't smart enough, or too cheap, to purchase mineral rights when u bought your property. Now you think you and misquote FACTS, whine and cry, and get people to feel sorry for you. Sad!
you are obviously more ignorant me. Instead of me getting my facts straight, how about you do the same. You come on to a public forum and show the world just how stupid people from buckhannon are. So shut up retard.
Marshall Grad

Beverly, WV

#31 Oct 6, 2011
People come on here and defend oil and gas drilling by saying how do you heat your house or what does your car run on. That is not the point if I had a choice I would not pick fossil fuels for my heating and cooling. Fossil fuels pollute and it is proven. It contaminates the ground and drinking water its proven thatís why they are setting safety standards. I know everyone will start screaming Iím against jobs. No there are plenty jobs in wind and solar power. It takes just as long to build a wind mill than it does to drill a well. Also after the wind mill is build there are people that maintain and operate the wind mills. So I donít see why everyone bitches about anyone that is against fossil fuels? Its year 2011 we donít need to burn coal to heat water to make electricity. Iíd like to think we have advanced a little in 100 years. Also why is everyone against safety standards in oil and gas drilling? Donít you want people on oil and gas riggs to be safe? The only reason any jobs would be lost is because the greedy gas companies will lose a couple of thousand dollars out of their billion dollar incomes. There will be just as many jobs or more because the companies will need to hire people to make sure they are doing things right and safe. Also there will be people hired to check on the companies to make sure they are following the rules.
none of your buisness

Weirton, WV

#32 Mar 22, 2012
Bucknite wrote:
<quoted text>
Well yeah. This is no myth check out the videos on youtube of people that can light their well water on fire from fracing. Also I always hear people that work on rigs talk about getting the MUD on them and it burning holes in their skin. I donít think I would want to drink that stuff. I never said we should never drill. We need stricter regulations so peoples land and health are not destroyed. We also need to start using renewable resources such as wind and solar. You can check out this video of a guy lighting his water on fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =d6G6Ap-mF0kXX&NR=1
you belive anything then if you belive that. just cause you see it on you tube doesnt make it factual. lol wow how lame are ya.
none of your buisness

Weirton, WV

#33 Mar 22, 2012
Marshall Grad wrote:
People come on here and defend oil and gas drilling by saying how do you heat your house or what does your car run on. That is not the point if I had a choice I would not pick fossil fuels for my heating and cooling. Fossil fuels pollute and it is proven. It contaminates the ground and drinking water its proven thatís why they are setting safety standards. I know everyone will start screaming Iím against jobs. No there are plenty jobs in wind and solar power. It takes just as long to build a wind mill than it does to drill a well. Also after the wind mill is build there are people that maintain and operate the wind mills. So I donít see why everyone bitches about anyone that is against fossil fuels? Its year 2011 we donít need to burn coal to heat water to make electricity. Iíd like to think we have advanced a little in 100 years. Also why is everyone against safety standards in oil and gas drilling? Donít you want people on oil and gas riggs to be safe? The only reason any jobs would be lost is because the greedy gas companies will lose a couple of thousand dollars out of their billion dollar incomes. There will be just as many jobs or more because the companies will need to hire people to make sure they are doing things right and safe. Also there will be people hired to check on the companies to make sure they are following the rules.
true we do need rules regulations and wind mills destroy just as much forestry as well sites look at the 61 mills they put in on the moutian over at junior, also mine run off has destoyed more water then fraq water has and mountian top removal is worset yet im all for drilling minning and windmills and solar power and yes rules but wind and solar arent practical for house hold consumption yet tooo pricey also geo thermal heating and cooling is the way to go.
none of your buisness

Weirton, WV

#34 Mar 22, 2012
Jeeeezus wrote:
To all of you "rig boys" out there standing up for your shit jobs. Honestly, do you think you are benefitting from anything you get out of the ground? I can guarantee west virginians see none of the oil or gas. Do you think you benefit from the water sources that you're drilling near and then dumping all the unclassified chemicals it takes to frack the well? Everybody appreciates the fact that you're willing to risk your lives to support our greedy little lives that revolve around oil and gas, but that doesn't mean your company couldn't be a little safer about the way they going about it. But these days it's all about that dollar. Regardless of how they get it or how many peoples lives and homes they have to destroy to get that dollar.
get your facts right mine run off has destryed more streams in w.v. then fraq water and and as far as benefitting from the gas are you benefitting from what your job does oh thats right you probably have a goverment job-- you set at the house and get a check.
Yeah

United States

#35 Mar 22, 2012
My husband works in that field, and believe me there are STRICT regulations, and it is putting GOOD PAYING jobs in West Virginia. Some of us prefer to make a good living and contribute to society instead of living off welfare. So, I for one am thankful for it.
WorkedtheRIG

United States

#36 Mar 22, 2012
I am about to spill the beans and I am sure know one in the companies wish to hear this, but here it is. First I worked on the rigs for awhile and there is so much that goes on that is never talked about. First, men on these rigs have to work 12,16,18,24 & 36 hours straight. I did #4 36 hour shifts and I can tell you its a wonder that I didn't get killed or kill someone else. Why did I? Because I was told if I didn't like it, then quit. Ultimately I did. Now that is not Haliburton, but a smaller outfit. The safety concerns go out the door for money! Then there are the constant spills. YES SPILLS...that are cleaned up with what the industry calls diapers and where do these diapers go? In trash bags and in the dumpster! Thats right...in the dumpster and into the landfill. Not one time did my company ever place the spill, whether it was diesel or flowback into a hazmat bag and dispose of it properly. This goes on every day. The ground gets a fresh coat of dirt over the spill after the cleanup...none the wiser! Lets talk about the flowback; its the waste water after the drilling and I have seen animals that fall in and die within minutes. Once in, you are a goner! So you say that well water is not affected. You are so wrong! When there is a spill and its soaked up with a diaper and the ground is not cleaned of the contaminated dirt, well after the next rain it goes right into the creeks and streams; exposing all water sources to the chemicals. Then you say that drilling at depths of 13,000 feet cannot contaminate a water well of 200 feet. Do you not realize that the water has to get down to 13,000 feet and then forced into the shale, which will ultimately find its way back into the water table. People assume the concrete surrounding the well stops the water, well then how do they frac the shale if the water can't get to the shale. The water will seep through every nook and cranny until it hits a water table, over time it will make its way to wells at higher levels. Its basic physics! And what happens when the concrete protection at low depths crack during the frac; and it does btw. Hence, the ground is contaminated and eventually the wells. If you knew how much acid and chemicals were pushed into the ground, you might see the picture. People do need to wake up and realize this is not a good thing. Yes I know the money sounds great, the prosperity that we are reaping now makes most people feel good, but the damage cannot be reversed and if the dollar makes you sleep better at night, well then there is no amount of disclosure that I or anyone else gives that will make you wake up. It is for all intense purposes; a trojan horse.
WorkedtheRIG

United States

#37 Mar 22, 2012
Btw, In the year that I worked the rigs, not one time did I ever see an inspector from the Federal or state. The only inspectors we ever saw were from EQT and when they were not there; well anything goes! So if you truly believe that the regulations are being enforced then you are sadly mistaken and must still believe in the honor system. Just because there is a rule does not mean it isn't being broken, covered up and quietly dealt with. See a simple spill can mean thousands of dollars in fines or being shutdown, so if there is none reported, well then there can't be trouble. And btw, I left out quite a bit of info, but every company I have seen breaks the rules. Remember, its not just your money at risk, but each and every man out there. So its best to keep hush hush!
Very Concerned

United States

#38 May 22, 2012
I personally am very concerned about all the drilling, permits being issued at an alarming rate. Toxic waste is the by product of fracking. The well sites have frac ponds full of toxic waste, heavy metals. Who is monitoring these ponds? What happens to all this toxic by product when the drilling process is done? Does this toxic waste overflow? If fracking is so safe, why has Vermont banned it? Why are the inspections at these sites being done by out of state workers? How many West Virginians have jobs at these sites? With all the makeshift campsites, motel and hotel rooms full, no rentals available for West Virginians because they are all rented by out of state workers, how many jobs are REALLY left for West Virginians. Miles of pipe line that can and have exploded and erupted during this process are now in West Virginia. Frac ponds on farms, hills and valleys of WV all full of toxic waste. Thousands of gallons at a time of water being taken from our rivers and streams for the fracking process, will this harm our natural resources? Does anyone from our state monitor this? Could toxic waste from the fracking which produces large amounts of toxic waste be put back into our waterways? Does anyone monitor this? Who is going to pay to have the miles of roadway fixed that has been damaged by the hauling of massive size equipment to these sites? What about the people who know have drinking water that they can light with a match? What about the doctors that are concerned and want more research done about people getting sick that live near the well sites? Please research frac ponds and the toxic waste from the fracking process. Please write, call, email your elected officals and voice your concerns. If Vermont can do it, why cant we???????
well tender

United States

#39 May 22, 2012
Very Concerned wrote:
I personally am very concerned about all the drilling, permits being issued at an alarming rate. Toxic waste is the by product of fracking. The well sites have frac ponds full of toxic waste, heavy metals. Who is monitoring these ponds? What happens to all this toxic by product when the drilling process is done? Does this toxic waste overflow? If fracking is so safe, why has Vermont banned it? Why are the inspections at these sites being done by out of state workers? How many West Virginians have jobs at these sites? With all the makeshift campsites, motel and hotel rooms full, no rentals available for West Virginians because they are all rented by out of state workers, how many jobs are REALLY left for West Virginians. Miles of pipe line that can and have exploded and erupted during this process are now in West Virginia. Frac ponds on farms, hills and valleys of WV all full of toxic waste. Thousands of gallons at a time of water being taken from our rivers and streams for the fracking process, will this harm our natural resources? Does anyone from our state monitor this? Could toxic waste from the fracking which produces large amounts of toxic waste be put back into our waterways? Does anyone monitor this? Who is going to pay to have the miles of roadway fixed that has been damaged by the hauling of massive size equipment to these sites? What about the people who know have drinking water that they can light with a match? What about the doctors that are concerned and want more research done about people getting sick that live near the well sites? Please research frac ponds and the toxic waste from the fracking process. Please write, call, email your elected officals and voice your concerns. If Vermont can do it, why cant we???????
You really need to get your facts straight. Frac ponds are fresh water. The frac water is transported and treated. Flow back water comes back out of the well after the frac. That is the water with the chemicals in it. That is what the controversy is over not the frac pond. Do some research then try to be a politician.
WorkedtheRig

United States

#40 May 22, 2012
She might have said frac pond but she is actually meaning the flowback pit and yes there is a pit, that is in the ground that holds flowback. It is only removed as the level rises but is never empty until the job is done. Though at times they do use it in conjunction with water as part of the fracking, but that is only when the acidity is not to high to start. Once the acidity reaches too high of a level they revert back to water only. Say what you will, but that pit is no different than a frac pond that holds clean water except that one holds clean water while the other holds contaminated water. Oh, btw, many times there has been flowback actually pumped into the clean pit on accident. Very seldom do they do anything about it even though they should! When they do clean the fresh water pit, it is only because it has come to the attention of someone it shouldn't have!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wetzel County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
does anyone know who doed in atv accident (May '16) May '16 sharon 1
News Terry to Spend Half-Year On Home Confinement (Mar '11) May '16 princess 2
News Valley's population continuing to decline (Mar '15) Mar '15 Pravo8 1
News Shriver receives bond reduction (Jun '14) Jul '14 unknown 2
News Fracking Waste Debated For Landfills (Feb '14) Jun '14 Radiation Exposure 4
News MarkWest Energy expanding Marcellus production ... (May '14) May '14 lemon 5
News Wetzel Co. sheriff: Increase in prostitution, i... (Apr '12) Jan '14 contemporaryJourn... 10
More from around the web