Wetzel Co. sheriff: Increase in prostitution, influx of natural gas workers could be connected

Apr 9, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTOV9

More prostitutes are on the prowl in Wetzel County, according to recent reports, and officials said there may be a link an influx of people coming to work in the area for the natural gas industry.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Jan 25, 2014
oldtimer

Jacksonburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

it's nothing new, its everywhere, always was on a small level around here, nothing new. local scum cons, and their con artist women. no pimps. If pimps come in you have organized crime.
Jim

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

We need to get this organized. More pimps are needed for the New Martinsville area. Why should only the women make money? Let's do it.
Logan

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

Judged:

I live here in New Martinsville, this is aweful, they need to get out of our town, not just the prostitutes, but everyone who wasn't already here, we live in a small town, we have no room for these filthy gas workers and prostitutes. It really is ridiculous, I'm 15 years old and I've never heard of hookers here. Go back to Ohio or wherever you came from. It's also for drugs, if any of you hookers and gas workers can actually use a computer, get out now.
unhappy camper

Worthington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

Altho I can deff see the reason for not wanting whores there, saying the gas workers shouldn’t be there is ludicrus. Should people claim that your family shouldn’t have moved there? They have the right to stay in motels, after all, that’s what they are for. I can however suggest you raise the money to buy the motels so you can tear them down, otherwisw deal with it… or you could always move
Oil industry employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

Logan wrote:
I live here in New Martinsville, this is aweful, they need to get out of our town, not just the prostitutes, but everyone who wasn't already here, we live in a small town, we have no room for these filthy gas workers and prostitutes. It really is ridiculous, I'm 15 years old and I've never heard of hookers here. Go back to Ohio or wherever you came from. It's also for drugs, if any of you hookers and gas workers can actually use a computer, get out now.
I am sorry that you feel this way about gas industry workers, however for the most part we are law abiding upstanding patrons to your city. We enjoy being at home with our families just as much as you do. Trust me if the oil and gas was not in your city we would not be here. So please go be a kid and get off of your computer. Stop worring about things that you have no idea about.
unsubstantiatedN oNothing

Pine Grove, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2012

I agree with the owner of the motel and the Wetzel DA and the editor of the WC. This story was hogwash, something an X sheriff did for no body knows why. It caused a bad rep for Wetzel County. The out of state workers are just trying to earn a living and feed their families. They are not villians and most of them are courteous and thoughtful. They don't have to feel like strangersand good people of Wetzel welcome them. They have a right to live and work here and they are not whoremongers, no matter what the out of county papers say. A good, hard working man is never a stranger. The nature of capitalism is that a person has to go where the job is. This false rumor was only a rumor. Any good man, even if is isn't from the area, will never be a stranger in Wetzel County.
Hey

Carnegie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2014

Judged:

It is happening and they're looking the other way. Just take a look at how many oil workers are coming and going from the villas. Its also happening at some of the hotels.
angel

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2014

The villas must be the place to be!! Drug busts, prostitution, etc. Sad for all the kids seeing this everyday. New Martinsville's own lil ghetto.
CT operator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

Oil industry employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry that you feel this way about gas industry workers, however for the most part we are law abiding upstanding patrons to your city. We enjoy being at home with our families just as much as you do. Trust me if the oil and gas was not in your city we would not be here. So please go be a kid and get off of your computer. Stop worring about things that you have no idea about.
True statement. We would NOT be here if there was no wells to service. Believe that. Renting hotel rooms buying food, thousands of dollars in fuel.
contemporaryJour nalism

Saint Marys, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2014

I understand why the Wetzel Chronicle published a bogus story like that: Because it was sleazy. The Pine Grove theft crimewave, all those stories are blacked out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wetzel County Discussions

Search the Wetzel County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Marcellus Shale and our way of life (Aug '11) Jul 14 rblyel 53
Shriver receives bond reduction Jul 6 unknown 2
Fracking Waste Debated For Landfills Jun '14 Radiation Exposure 4
MarkWest Energy expanding Marcellus production ... May '14 lemon 5
Poisoned by Fracking (Jul '13) Jul '13 Very Concerned 1
Prosecutor's Office Logging More Hours Due to H... (Sep '12) Oct '12 peasant 5
Car wreck (Jul '12) Jul '12 So sad 2
•••
•••