Paved roads needed but who pays?

Paved roads needed but who pays?

There are 2 comments on the Fredericksburg.com story from Jul 30, 2007, titled Paved roads needed but who pays?. In it, Fredericksburg.com reports that:

“I think it is totally unfair to impose that as a cost”

Colonial Beach Town Councilman Frederick Rummage wants to assure residents of the Riverside Meadows subdivision that the town will work to pave their roads. via Fredericksburg.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fredericksburg.com.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#1 Aug 3, 2007
It is time for Colonial Beach as a town to consider why anyone living in Riverside Meadows should remain citizens of Colonial Beach. I am in favor of, and will vote, for a resolution dissolving parts, if not the entire city, of Colonial Beach. Take a hard look at the services provided by our tax dollars; is there anything the City provides us? Someone please mention Police; that'll be a whole separate post. I do not see where or to whom my dollars go to. Let's turn this mismanaged city over to the county.
The schools are a mess; but then again what teacher worth his or her salt would want to work here to begin with. Quality teacher’s results in quality student just not here.
The roads; if the roads in Riverside Meadows are to be paid for by the residents of Riversides Meadows, then the roads will be built to our standards; I am not impressed with the quality of the existing city roads, nor of the city’s ability to carry out competent and timely public works projects. Those residents not living in the special tax district paying for the road should expect a less than enthused welcome the next time you drive through our neighborhood. The big picture to this minor issue of road paving is simple; if Riverside Meadows can pave their roads without city support, then the city can do without Riverside Meadows property taxes.
The Sewer and water; we are paying an incredibly exorbitant price for an apparently deficient waste water treatment plant. Yet it is still beyond me why we dump our raw sewage into the same river the city is trying to promote as the reason to come visit Colonial Beach.
The shopping and stores here in Colonial Beach should all have a few gas pumps out front; glorified convenient stores is all they are. No one comes here for the shopping, this could be a bigger issue, but for now we’ll just leave that alone.
Jobs; quick survey- what proportion of the population in Colonial Beach making a living wage actually works in Colonial Beach? What strikes me the most is how the local economy supports the unusually large population of low-income workers.
Town Manager; never met the guy, but he “lives” up the road from me so I can attest to the fact that he’s rarely in town. He manages a town of 3150 people; it’s part time, he makes $89K, AND we have a Mayor AND Vice Mayor…had to check the population, for a moment I thought this town had a population of 315,000.
It may sound like a lot of complaining, but remember this, we are young professionals moving into those expensive homes on unpaved roads; we vote and every chance we get we’ll cast a ballot. We earn good money and work hard at what we do. We came here to raise our families and avoid the Metro DC Area like the Town Manager avoids answering questions at the council meetings. Sooner or later we shall replace the Old Guard, either through attrition, elections and or just wait until you die off or find yourselves in the retirement home.
It is time to separate the wheat from the chaff. No more will I support the Town of Colonial Beach. Perhaps we’ll create a special tax district where every dollar will be spent on removing Riverside Meadows from Colonial Beach. It has become apparent to us that the “been here’s” don’t want us here anyway, so enjoy the depleting tax base while you still can.
Come Here

Gloucester, VA

#2 Aug 4, 2007
Great read! I know that most of the residents in Riverside Meadows agree with you. We in Riverside, as a new community need to continue to lobby for changes. The corruption going on with our public officials in Colonial Beach is in plain sight. If I am on a Rural Road (yes, a city council member said this) with Rural mail delivery and unpaved, then why am I a Colonial Beach resident? Colonial Beach does not pave or maintain my roads? It’s time to turn Riverside over to the county. One more item of significant value… why have all the council meetings been during the mid-afternoon? Most REAL towns or cities hold their council meetings in the early evening. This would be a much better time for Riverside residents to attend the meetings. We in Riverside actually have real jobs that are outside of Colonial Beach and usually don’t get home until 5-6pm during the week. So my question again, why the 3:00pm council meetings. Is council worried about Riverside shining light on darkness? No longer would council be able to hide behind unusual meeting times and push votes through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westmoreland County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Major Drug Bust in Colonial Beach Female kingpi... (Nov '11) Jan '16 honest babe 42
News Five sent to prison in drug cases (Apr '07) Dec '15 wtcsret 4
News Multiple stabbings in Colonial Beach Village (Mar '15) Mar '15 wtcsret 4
News Colonial Beach may abolish police force (Oct '13) Nov '14 Ugh 81
News Three arrested on drug charges (May '12) Jul '14 oops 15
News Second Westmoreland County employee to face DWI... (Mar '14) May '14 HB Rules 9
News Colonial Beach Police Department consolidation ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sassie Sadie 19