Mental evaluation ordered for suspect...

Mental evaluation ordered for suspect in Weakley County double homicide

There are 9 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Feb 14, 2013, titled Mental evaluation ordered for suspect in Weakley County double homicide. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

A judge has ordered a mental evaluation for a Weakley County man accused of killing his father and a neighbor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

mental

United States

#1 Feb 22, 2013
Maybe he will get send to mental hospital,he used to be a friend of mine
Wow ow

Martin, TN

#2 Feb 25, 2013
He needs to be under the jail. Not in a psych ward.
JUGDENOT

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2013
Look here u need to not judge ! Do u really think any son would hurt his father or family? U people that don't no what depression or any sickness is like need to shut up! Eric was a good young man that needed help an was denied an our wonderful system doesn't care! He is a dad a son an brother that is loved an PLEASE CONSIDER THE KIDS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH IT MITE HAPPEN TO YOU ONE DAY SO UNTIL YOU NO THE PAIN DON'T JUDGE!
News

Memphis, TN

#4 Mar 13, 2013
More extensive mental evaluation ordered for Weakley County murder suspect Eric McAlister

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20130313/NE...

A Weakley County man accused of killing his father and a neighbor last month will be transferred to a Nashville mental health facility for further evaluation before his next court appearance, according to his attorney.

Eric McAlister will be transferred late this month for evaluation at the Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute, which will last about 30 days, said Public Defender Joe Atnip.

McAlister remains in jail pending his transfer.

Last month, a judge ordered that McAlister should have a mental evaluation before his preliminary hearing. He initially was referred to Pathways in Martin.

The Weakley County Sheriff's Department has charged McAlister, 40, of Greenfield, with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of criminal attempt to commit first-degree murder after officers said he struck and killed his father with a pick-up truck, shot several rounds at his brother, and shot and killed a man who was trying to check on his father.

The sheriff's department said Eric McAlister killed his father, 61-year-old David McAlister, in the yard of a home on Shades Bridge Road on Feb. 6.

The house belongs to Eric McAlister's brother Raymond McAlister, whom Eric McAlister shot at during the incident, authorities have said.

Neighbor Timothy Betts came to the house and tried to check on David, and Eric McAlister shot and killed Betts, 52, investigators said.
RoSie

Dresden, TN

#5 Mar 25, 2014
These parents are doing what'd they are doing without any regards to the children. Now who did wrong?
The law WOULDN'T be handcuffing these people if these people were ANGELS.
Sometimes it not people judging people.
It's people who need to be in front of a judge.

This excuse for killing seems to be used more often than it has been.
If a person is seriously sick enough to kill!,I think you might change if he had of killed one of your loves.. Such as your father, your mother, your sister, your brother,or even your wife.

Let''s .Not let them kill again.....
Lisa

Union City, TN

#6 Jul 27, 2014
WOW I missed this little nugget in the news. Precisely why I AVOID the news. BUT since I'm here? I've fallen through the cracks myself since my diagnosis 15 years ago; prior to that time, I saw it happen to clients of mine. If you think it doesn't happen, well, Pollyanna, you're wrong. I hope you never have to see that through your own eyes; much less, God forbid, the eyes of someone you love!

THAT being said; I am not necessarily in favor of the 'criminally insane' being treated (particularly not in a STATE OF TN hospital) and released. Sometimes it's for the greater good for someone to remain locked away tightly, away from the rest of HUMANITY (please note that I did NOT say from the rest of a SANE humanity).

And finally; to whoever said it has to do with not handcuffing angels? Let's not further demonize the mentally ill, please? And I think if a person is seriously 'sick enough to kill,' that's a dang sad place to be...whether he IS my brother OR kills my brother...or, Lord forbid, both!!! But rest assured, this issue isn't nearly as black and white as you've attempted to paint it.

EXTREMELY SAD for this family; my heart goes out to them.:(
speak the truth

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Jan 15, 2015
RoSie wrote:
These parents are doing what'd they are doing without any regards to the children. Now who did wrong?
The law WOULDN'T be handcuffing these people if these people were ANGELS.
Sometimes it not people judging people.
It's people who need to be in front of a judge.
This excuse for killing seems to be used more often than it has been.
If a person is seriously sick enough to kill!,I think you might change if he had of killed one of your loves.. Such as your father, your mother, your sister, your brother,or even your wife.
Let''s .Not let them kill again.....
Keep him locked up! Hes a threat to everyone he comes in contact with!I hope he spends every second of his life behind bars. Human life means nothing to a person like this!!!
meee

United States

#8 May 12, 2015
JUGDENOT wrote:
Look here u need to not judge ! Do u really think any son would hurt his father or family? U people that don't no what depression or any sickness is like need to shut up! Eric was a good young man that needed help an was denied an our wonderful system doesn't care! He is a dad a son an brother that is loved an PLEASE CONSIDER THE KIDS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH IT MITE HAPPEN TO YOU ONE DAY SO UNTIL YOU NO THE PAIN DON'T JUDGE!
First off his kids were on his hit list
sammy

United States

#9 Jul 6, 2015
JUGDENOT wrote:
Dont you think maybe Eric should have consider the kids and family before he killedl

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Weakley County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jenene morgan and about police pulling them ove... Sep 15 nosey 1
Charles Ray Terry (Jun '15) Sep 4 Searchingsusie 8
News Forty-one people indicted on drugs, firearms, c... (Mar '14) Jul '16 Linda 11
News Petition: Tennessee teens charged in brutal tor... (May '12) May '16 guest 2,183
Weakley county arrests Apr '16 Guest 1
seeking house for rent (Mar '16) Mar '16 Pattie 1
any massage therapist in training out there (Feb '16) Feb '16 cityslicker 1
More from around the web