Garlock does NOT respect their neighb...

Garlock does NOT respect their neighbors!

Posted in the Wayne County Forum

Becca

Rochester, NY

#1 Mar 18, 2009
Garlock Sealing Technologies, located at 1666 Division Street in Palmyra, has recently instituted a no smoking policy. They do not allow their employees to smoke on company property. Instead, Garlock employees stand in front of our residential homes and smoke. This is annoying and disrespectful to the homeowners. As many as 16 people at a time will gather and smoke, talking loudly all the while. They litter the immediate area with cigarette butts and empty cigarette packages, some of which blow into nearby yards.

When the windows to our homes are open, we hear the nasty talk from the factory workers as well as smell the smoke when it blows toward our homes. When we come and go there is usually someone standing outside watching us, which makes us very uncomfortable. Garlock doesnÂ’t want this pollution on their property however, they believe it is perfectly acceptable to corral their smoking employees into our front years, along with their litter.

Some homeowners have called to complain but their concerns meet a brick wall, Jim the HR contact. Jim tells us that that there is nothing that Garlock can (or will) do to change this policy. He responds to our concerns by stating they cannot control their employees when they are not on their property. I would bet if the workers are punched-in and on the clock then Garlock can control what they do, but they are being complacent.

I have even gone as far as to call the police to complain about loitering, littering, and noise pollution however, the local Palmyra Police state that Division Street is out of their jurisdiction. The local police told me that I would have to call 911 in order to receive any help from the authorities. I have not yet done this because I believe it is abusing the resource.

As a homeowner in Palmyra, my rights are extremely limited. Garlock should be more respectful and responsive to their neighbors. Their neighbors have faced evacuation due to chemical spills, as well as the worry of land contamination that was made public during their chemical clean up projects. Living next to a factory carries certain understandings, traffic, noise, etc. However, having groups of unsavory people hanging out in my front yard was not one that I considered before I moved here 9 years ago. Garlock is located in a residential area and they should adjust their policies accordingly and respect their neighbors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayne County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man accused of shooting ex and her child in court (Jul '15) Dec '15 CayugaSpy 3
News Arcadia supervisor vows to get things done (Jan '08) Oct '15 seasoned voter 15
News Wayne County boy, 15, indicted on rape and sex ... (Feb '10) Jul '15 Shortsville 315_585 11
News Ontario man charged with shooting his dog in th... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Paul blart 1
News Arcadia Supervisor wants abandoned properties b... (Mar '11) Aug '14 Crazy not Lazy 7
News Police are searching for missing Newark teen (Sep '08) Aug '14 Vote Zornow 4
News Wayne Co. man charged with sexually abusing child (Jan '14) Jan '14 Protecting Our Ch... 1
More from around the web