Man deliberately ran over ducklings with a Hummer, Ann Arbor police say

Apr 26, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ann Arbor.com

A 19-year-old Ann Arbor man was arrested Monday night after he deliberately ran over four ducklings with a Hummer in a McDonald's parking lot, Ann Arbor police said.

Comments
21 - 27 of 27 Comments Last updated Nov 11, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
anthony

Monroe, MI

#21 May 5, 2011
pt 2 of 2
----------
<continued>

I don’t think the nature of the case would allow a plea to negligent or careless driving as that usually requires his driving to be of a “careless or negligent manner that is likely to endanger any person or property”... the ducks were not property ... but he may be able to plea to inappropriate driving that could have “endangered”... and coincidentally lead to the death of the ducks but not having to admit intent.
Though I think that is a long shot.

It is time for the Pearces to circle the wagons and find a different defense ... or he is going to end up with jail time - but much more significant, a criminal record and possibly a felony record.

Why am I posting this?....
In this age of the Internet and instantaneous media, I think Dillon and his family are being beaten to a pulp ... in reputation and in cost and in the possible felony conviction.

If I was going to place a bet as to whether Dillon did it intentionally ... I’d bet that yes he did. But even if he really did intend to run over the ducks, as other’s have said, a felony conviction and possible prison time of up to 4 years (not just jail time) and all the correlative costs is a very harsh punishment indeed.

I am not one of those nutcase law-and-orderists which believes in punishments that are way out of line with the offense committed. No traffic fines that represent your monthly food budget for you and your children because you were doing 75 in a 55, whereas for a wealthier person that same ticket means they don’t have that second bottle of bubbly when they go to the Club for dinner next Saturday ... No “three strikes and you’re out” bullshit ... No “offenders list” once you’ve actually served your sentence.
I want punishments to have the effect of making someone a more law-abiding, tax paying, credit to society. Putting Dillon in prison and giving him a felony record will *not* do that.

I think Dillon was guilty ... I think the court should mandate counseling ... but I don’t think he should end up with a felony record or time in the state prison for this issue.
anthony

Monroe, MI

#22 May 5, 2011
anthony wrote:
I don’t think the nature of the case would allow a plea to negligent or careless driving as that usually requires his driving to be of a “careless or negligent manner that is likely to endanger any person or property”... the ducks were not property ... but he may be able to plea to inappropriate driving that could have “endangered”... and coincidentally lead to the death of the ducks but not having to admit intent.
Though I think that is a long shot.
I wish topix allowed you to edit ... grrrr
LET ME CLARIFY that statement in the first paragraph of my long post, above ... please consider it to read ...
I don’t know if the facts would allow a plea to reckless or careless driving as that usually requires his driving to be of a “careless or negligent manner that is likely to endanger any person or property”... the ducks were not property ... but he may be able to plea to such a charge under the admission that his driving “could have” endangered property etc ... although it coincidentally lead to the death of the ducks.
Matrix

Iraq

#23 May 6, 2011
I think he's going to end up with a felony.

If Dillion is reflecting his parents attitudes (which he may or may not be) then they believe they can throw enough money at the problem to fix it. My guess is here is a guy that has an over developed sense of entitlement and he might not think he could possibly go to jail. If people's initial reaction to this story are any indication of how they are going to respond to this in a court room he is in trouble.

Any person might miss a baby duck in a parking lot, but if he is going to say he did not see a mother duck and eight ducklings (the same ones he tried to pick up earlier) then people are going to b insulted.....and angry.

Personally (and I am probably not alone on this) I hope he pushes it to trial and gets convicted. Dillion will pay for this for a long time to come because it's already all over the internet and in this day and age people will simply Google his name in both social and professional circles and all, all things being equal, they're going to think he is a douchebag.:/ That's just the way it is.
cpt obvious

Ypsilanti, MI

#24 May 28, 2011
shocking, a spoiled kid who played hockey has no regard for anything but himself and his hummer? let me guess, he also pretends like he's in a rap video full time?
greywintersky

AOL

#25 Jun 21, 2011
anthony wrote:
Dillon Pearce
aka D-Pain
aka chillindillon092
Aka little duckling killer
Jus turned 19 a couple weeks ago ... za MAN now.
Well well ... it looks like ol' Dillon's been in the newspapers a bit ... appears to have possibly been involved in felony MDOP of police car - 2010
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/23555872/d...
Could those be the same friends he was in the hummer with when he ran the ducks over?
Um, Anthony and Miles - were you guys in on this one too?
Dillon's shaming Ann Arbor Huron High School- played hockey there
and shaming the Honeybaked Hockey ... whatever the hell that is.
And shaming the Ann Arbor Church of Christ where he's attended - NOT christian-like Dillon ol chap ... ol' D-Pain needs a bit of counseling methinks.
And shaming his parents and sister.
And going to play hockey in green bay?... Dillon! you're gonna blow it, committing crimes and killing ducks with a hummer and all.
Now, you have to be his "friend" to let him know what you think on myspace... otherwise you could drop him a message at ...
http://www.myspace.com/chillindillon092
Up until half an hour ago you could send him a little sumpin sumpin at his facebook page ... but they, or he, just deep-sixed his facebook page just prior to my intention to post this ... I've got a damn good mind to post his home phone ... but I'm not going to. His parents R & T have suffered enough. TAKE AWAY THE HUMMER WILL YA???
Oh Dillon, your poor family ... not to mention Julia!
For shame for shame ... on second thought, why don't you just get the hell out of michigan and go to alabama or wisconsin or wherever you were intending ... um, when you get out of lockup that is.
Did the police ever figure out who REALLY drove Tina Pearce's car into the Huron River (in 2009) with their dog locked inside? Her story didn't make sense and there does seem to be a real pattern of "mischief making" since then.
greywintersky

AOL

#26 Jun 21, 2011
I must add a correction to my last comment. Tina Pearce's car was driven into the Huron River in October of 2008, not 2009.
McLuvin

Sayville, NY

#27 Nov 11, 2011
I stumbled on this story by accident, it seems this pathetic guy is only a man by his age, he needs to groww up. A few weeks in the POKY will help.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washtenaw County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man drowns in Huron River in Ypsilanti (Jun '11) Aug 22 serenity16 3
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Black Chamber of Commerce t... Jul '14 Kelly Lite 1
Anti-gay assault shines light on Michigan law Apr '14 Xavier Breath 56
Dockets: 2 men accused in Paul DeWolf homicide ... Apr '14 ite me 1
Pothole claims: Most drivers don't get paid Apr '14 kev 1
Gay Michigan Woman Who Married on TV Assaulted ... Apr '14 WasteWater 20
The search for Michigan's Best Doughnut: Vote f... Mar '14 Brian Adam 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••