Talisker to turn failed project into affordable housing - The P...

Full story: Park Record

Talisker recently purchased this 17-condo building on Black Rock Trail to be sold as affordable housing in the spring.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Parker

Oakley, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Good for Talisker. A creative way to solve a problem. I'm sure the whiner will have a better chance to sell once more units are occupied and, if he takes a loss, it's nobody's fault but his own.

The economics of development in the Jordanelle area are going to cause a lot of half-price sales over the next few years. There are a surplus of approved units and the developers were required to sink money into the sewer and water infrastructure in advance. It will be a great place for the Air Force hotel and lots of other projects that I'm sure will make Mr. Schnieder unhappy, but he just needs to get overthe consequences of his bad judgment.
PC Taxpayer

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

"High-end development"?? The plans called for more than 250 homes (condos and townhouses), that largest of which would be under 2,000 square feet. In Park City, that IS "affordable housing". The planned clubhouse is about the size of an average Park Meadows home (not Glenwild, not Promontory, PARK MEADOWS). Schnieders bought into a marginal, middle-income development. He should be glad that employed people will be moving into the neighborhood.(BYW, I hope that the county has placed LIENS on the development, and not the more ominous sounding LEANS.)
Totally Uninformed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

"I certainly don't want this to be used for employee housing," he said.

Horror of horrors!!!
a seasonal employee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Totally Uninformed wrote:
"I certainly don't want this to be used for employee housing," he said.
Horror of horrors!!!
So tell me Mr./ Mrs. Snob, where do you want your ski instructor, your Waitress, your cook, your Lift Operator,And any other service related employees to live???
Get off your f ing high horse and accept the fact , that you put ur pants on , just like the service employee does, one leg at a time.
It's jerks like you who would be the first in line to complain, if there were no one to wipe your *** at your favoret resturant, resort, or bar.
maybe if you could convine employers here to pay a fair liveable wage, we could afford to live elsewhere. But untill that happens, shut up , stop your bitching , and face the facts, the 'low income' PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE AROUND. GET OVER IT ALREADY.
Mumbo jumbo

Clearfield, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Wow.

So we have foreclosures in a relatively expensive apartment building and they want to convert it to "low income housing".

How about all the empty homes in and around Park City being held by banks so as to not realize mark-to-market? Should they be opened up to low income housing also? Or just the disadvantaged and poor?

Let me give you a little heads up. After this ski season employee housing won't be an issue. Why? My bet is there will be alot less employees and alot more empty homes.
Jim

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Seasonal employee housing is a zoning issue and it is NOT allowed in this or most other neighborhoods. Rental guidelines can be obtained from the local county/city offices.

Low income housing credits must be located in the same county where the development takes place. This federal law is clear and has been tested in many counties and states. Any suit from a Wasatch county citizen will prevent Talisker from using Wasatch county units for Summit county credits.
OH MY

Midvale, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2009

Jim Says,
Low income housing credits must be located in the same county where the development takes place.

And the rep for the city said it's okay for the development to be outside " city " limits.

Very cute. Just pretend that you are not, once again, bending over backward to accomodate Talisker.
If they can go accross county lines, what about state, or national boundaries ? Would a shack in Alberta count towards Park City affordable housing?

Come on ! When they cross the county line, they are outside PC jurisdiction, and this does not count towards their duty to provide workforce housing, an obligation that came with the privelege to develop Empire Pass, and the lovely Richards Flats toxic waste dump - home of future "density transfers".
Thanks Dana.
great

Clearfield, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2009

The bus lines don't even go out there. Summit County doesn't get the taxes either. Way to go.
hmmmm

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Well it could either sit out there and be an eye sore, or it could be used for the benefit of the people that make Park City such a great place...
Hype

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Mumbo Jumbo says:
"How about all the empty homes in and around Park City being held by banks so as to not realize mark-to-market? Should they be opened up to low income housing also? Or just the disadvantaged and poor?"
Do all PC residents consider people that could qualify under low-income requirements as "disadvantaged and poor"? What a shame!

My question is: Do people realize that the 80% AMI is $45k annual income? Wake the "eff" up mumbo jumbo, that is the average income of 90% full time employees in this town.

Affordable housing does NOT = ghetto, low life scum.
oooook

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Hype wrote:
Mumbo Jumbo says:
"How about all the empty homes in and around Park City being held by banks so as to not realize mark-to-market? Should they be opened up to low income housing also? Or just the disadvantaged and poor?"
Do all PC residents consider people that could qualify under low-income requirements as "disadvantaged and poor"? What a shame!
My question is: Do people realize that the 80% AMI is $45k annual income? Wake the "eff" up mumbo jumbo, that is the average income of 90% full time employees in this town.
Affordable housing does NOT = ghetto, low life scum.
on a side.. i love how 250k and up is considered low income. wow.
pcgirl

Heber City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

There are impact on Wasatch County that they did not bargain for. These developments around Jordanelle were "sold" to Wasatch County as second home people with barely a year round impact. Now as affordable housing, there will definitely be year round occupants maybe even schoolchildren need ing busses,etc. I hope those folks know they are going to Wasatch Schools, not Park City. Unless they drive them themselves to PC...
Taxpayer

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Someone should really investigate Talisker and their dealings in town. The owe $$ all over town to the little guy. They got their taxes lowered by $250,000+ for years gone by through a judgement levy. The taxpayers will have to make up the difference eventually. They have defaulted on loans...What do we really know about them??
Jim S

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Mike Davis from Wasatch County may have "sent someone" to look at the street lights however nothing has been done, in fact there is one less light working than there was a week ago. I live full time in BRR and have contacted the county about the lights several times whereby I was told that the wireing was not connected which seems unlikely since some work and some don't. Besides, whats the difference? We pay county taxes and the county allowed this development to be created without bonds in place to insure completion of the project, or landscaping, or even weed removal. These are county roads, the county accepted them and should certainly take responsibility for the lights.
Totally Uninformed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Mumbo jumbo wrote:
Let me give you a little heads up. After this ski season employee housing won't be an issue. Why? My bet is there will be alot less employees and alot more empty homes.
So Mumbs, you think I'll be OK skipping the "fast pass" this year?
Jim

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

Wasatch County is responsible for the off site improvements. Wasatch County gets the taxes - Wasatch County is responsible for fire and police. Wasatch County is 100% responsible for the private ownership in their county ...and Summit County gives Talisker low income credit in Wasatch County so Talisker can build more in Summit County. THIS IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL. THERE ARE FEDERAL GUIDELINES THAT PREVENT COUNTIES FROM DOING THIS - MANY HAVE TRIED AND CASE LAW IS OVERWHELMING.

FYI - The low income occupants (who in all likelihood are wonderful assets to any community) will be going to Wasatch District Schools unless they try to pull a fast one ... hum?
Jim S

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2009

75% of the street lights don’t work in the area around the town homes and although the county may have “sent someone” to look at them nothing has happened unless they disconnected one. In past months I have twice contacted Wasatch County and both time told that wiring had not been run to the lights however a few work with most dark between the functional ones.

This is a great idea; low income housing in a remote, dark and secluded area where Summit County law enforcement has no jurisdiction and Wasatch County has no interest or adequate personnel to police! I have lived here full time for 10 months and never seen a police car drive through. The illegal dumping that takes place at the side of the road gives testimony to the vigilance of Wasatch County Law Enforcement in BRR and gives a good indication of what is to come when Talisker turns this in to low income housing regardless of what the “holier than thou” commenter’s say. We were cheated by Trophy, mislead by the banks who knowingly under funded this project originally, bilked by the Title Company who guaranteed free and clear title as well as partial ownership of things that do not exist, abandoned by Wasatch County who gave Certificates of Occupancy to housing where the infrastructure is not completed and continues to ignore, and now we are being sacrificed by Talisker who doesn’t give a damn about the monetary loss or safety of the little guys like us who live here. If they want to make a low income development out of this they should offer to buy us out thereby enabling them to trash the area to their heart’s content. Let them put some low income units in their regular developments like the Canyons as Hamlet did at Bear Hollow .. but no, this might lower their values. There can be no doubt of the extent of the “Sweetheart Deal” that Talisker has with Summit County and no question that Wasatch County is receiving some sort of benefit for allowing this travesty to occur within their county limits. When Talisker began looking at this development we were told by their representatives that they intended to market these homes as a “high-end development worthy of the Talisker name” however regardless of the little guys losing over a collective $ 1.5 Million, for 5 of us to fight Talisker, Summit County, and Wasatch County is like a “David and Goliath” battle.
Mumbo jumbo

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Totally Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
So Mumbs, you think I'll be OK skipping the "fast pass" this year?
I'm not sure which community is more insolvent, Park city or Fort Lauderdale.

My bet is by the time this financial debacle is over with, there won't be much difference.

Know what I mean, Vern?
Sofa King

Layton, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

you guys are screwed. time to load up on ammo and get your concealed carry permit. i am sure you will need it when your new neighbors move in.
Compassionata

Hilton Head Island, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2009

Ask questions. Lots of questions, because it sounds like another closed door,
back room deal!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wasatch County Discussions

Search the Wasatch County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Corruption in The Heber City Police. (Aug '13) Sun Family Guy 9
Utah GOP activist charged with rape found dead (Oct '12) Oct '12 Lance Winslow 2
Guest Editorial, December 17-20, 2011 - The Par... (Dec '11) Dec '11 CONFUSED 1
Homeowners rally against fire fee increase - Th... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jordanelle Resident 1
Fire fees fought at Jordanelle - The Park Record (Apr '11) Apr '11 Mountain Top Dweller 5
South Summit to offer school-day intervention -... (Mar '11) Mar '11 MarshellaSmith 4
Midway ice sculptures draw international crowds (Jan '11) Jan '11 olivia john 1
•••
•••