Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Leba...

Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate

There are 38 comments on the WLWT-TV Cincinnati story from Mar 31, 2009, titled Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate. In it, WLWT-TV Cincinnati reports that:

Two Warren County prison guards are accused of attacking an inmate and then trying to cover up their tracks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLWT-TV Cincinnati.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Miamisburg, OH

#24 Dec 8, 2010
I worked with these officers. They were pretty good officers. They were well respected. They did cover the camera. They did open the inmates cell without placing restraints on the inmate. They did enter the inmates cell. These were violations of institutional policy. They did not assault the inmate. What they did was foolish. They were basically "horse playing" with an inmate. They may have intimidated the inmate as well, but a finger was not laid on the inmate. The inmate took advantage of their foolishness. By covering the camera, they are defenseless to any allegations. I have had informal discussions with the inmates that were in the housing unit. They informed me that the inmate was not assaulted.

Assaults on inmates do happen, but are very rare. I would say that for every assault by staff, there are at least 10 assaults by inmates. COs are having sex with inmates and bringing them in drugs more often than assaulting them, though this relatively rare as well. Just a few bad apples. The majority are professionals performing a valuable service for the community.

There are hundreds of cameras through out the institution. The officers are accountable at all times.

To the inmate advocates that have posted: I have seen little difference between the friends and family of the inmates that come to visit them and the inmates. It's not a big mystery why these guys go to prison, generation after generation. The criminal mind is formed at home. It starts at home.
Sister of an inmate

Cleveland, OH

#25 Dec 23, 2010
I have a brother at LeCI. He belongs there. I encourage him to treat the staff with respect. I pray that the staff does the same for him. I expect that the staff will be professional no matter how he acts, they are the ones with the training. I would not want their job. I know that it is high stress and thankless. When the CO's covered the cameras they brought themselves under suspicion of a criminal act.We must give the CO's more training so they do not resort to this type of behavior to fix unruly inmates.
blackside

Xenia, OH

#26 Dec 29, 2010
whiteside wrote:
hope they get more of it
what do you mean you hope they got more of it...are you referring to the inmates? you sound like a c/o. i got a brother in lebanon and i am newly released from doing an 11 year sentence. you sound just like one of those c/o cowards that gang up on inmates when their in handcuffs. get you some heart and some backbone unlike the weak uniformed cowards you're cheerleading for. if you are an advocate for lynching you might as well be part of the kkk. you are the reason people are made victims, i hope you dont call yourself a honored citizen of america.
Is there hope

Union, KY

#27 Jan 14, 2011
We need to all sit back and take a good look at things. Just because a person is in jail, doesn't mean they should be beaten or even killed. The government put the "Rehabilitation" system in place. The guards are probably so scared they feel they have to react in a violent manner. If it wasn't for their position, there acts would have led them to jail, but lucky for them they got into a position where they can lie, assault people and get paid for doing it. Just because you are not in jail doesn't mean you are an upstanding citizen, it just means you haven't been caught or charged. You get more Bees with honey not SH**T
Shocked

Maineville, OH

#28 Jan 20, 2011
I have ignored some of the offensive comments made by some of these people because maybe their case is different then ours. A " forgive them Father for they know not what they do" kind of thing. However I can not ignore your comment LEBCO. You're an officer you should know better. Statistics show 50% of the inmates in Ohio are innocent. My brother is one of them. He was falsely accused and sentenced to life without parole. We are devastated. Anybody that knows him knows he didn't do it. Even some of the guards at the jail he was at first said they'd believed he is innocent. He used to respect authority until he got there. He trys to stay out of trouble and obey but because of what he's accused of he is treated like crap. He is always scared that if he makes a co mad a newspaper with his story will show up AGAIN. He still has a limp from the last time.
It does make sense now that you say that though. The worse part of visting him other than knowing we can't take him home with us is the way most of you officers look at us. Many of you make it very clear that you think we should be there too. Our parents raised us very well. No one in our family (other than my innocent brother) is or ever has been in trouble with the law. In fact most of the males and a few females in our family have served this country in the Navy, Army, and Marines. You should be ashamed of yourself for judging us without knowing anything about us. I would expect more from anyone in authority. Your statment might be true for some but not all or even most. In your position you really should be more careful with sharing your opinion.]
Mother of an inmate

Columbus, OH

#29 Feb 23, 2011
My son is at your facility and I truly hope that you are telling the truth. Since my son has been incarcerated I have seen SO MANY Abuse cases from different prison guards in different locations abusing their power for whatever reason. It is very difficult to have the inmate rehabilitate themselves if the authority figure is not ethical to begin with. I am always keeping a constant watch on your facility to ensure my son is safe. But believe this, if anything happens to my son while in the care of Lebanon correctional institution authorities, I assure you there will be a full investigation to start. Now if my son is doing something he should not be doing, work with me to ensure he follows the same guidelines. I provide his commissary and his needs would be surrendered if he did not follow the rules.

For those authority figures who are following protocol I am sorry you have to be subjected to this kind of accusations.


prison guard wrote:
If you are refering to the situation a lebanon then this so called beating never happened. What did happen is that a very good officer lost his job for a lapse in judgement. He made the mistake of covering up a camera. Im sure he was olny messing with the inmate because he was being an ass. When the inmates saw this they new they could say anything and it would be taken seriously. These guys are always looking for a lawsuit so they they can get rich. Anyway there are cameras everywhere in the prisons. Beating that should be taken place are not. I have wanted to beat many of these cell warriors my self but my job means more than they do. Inmates who follow the rules and are respectful never have a problem. Imagine that.
Pinkie

Columbus, OH

#33 Jul 9, 2011
former employee wrote:
tavia u must be proud of your son for being incarcerated. to bad you didn;t discipline and cared more about him when he was younger instead of caring about his well being so much now. the mean co;s might hurt him. whats funny is everyone forgets about these felons crimes and the lives they have destroyed. the truth is if the victims families would see how these inmates live they would be furious because they have it to good and thats the truth
I know this years old, but bullshit, they don't have it good. Yes they committed crimes, but they should which they are not, realihabted, probably misspelled and someone will point that out, because they have nothing better to do. And bullshit, doesn't matter how you raiser your kids, they do as they please. And I'm sure someone will say something about that too,
james aiken

Lake Worth, FL

#34 Aug 13, 2011
i was in lebanon recently,just released in may 2011 and i can tell u that the guards ther are a bunch of power hungry cowards! I understand that there are just some people who belong in prison [child molesters and rapist to name a few]but the guards [not all but most] treat the inmates as if we are all the scum of the earth and come to work bringing there personal lifes with them and take it out on everyone there. people need to be aware of the abuse of power that these people use[one c.o in particular ic officer J.Hinkle] who has gotten his ass wooped several times while I was there because the likes to pick fights with inmates so that he can get paid leave. thats right every time they are injured they get paid leave so why wouldn't they cause problems and then blame it on "the big bad inmate" u should have seen there face's when senate bill 5 came ou
james aiken

Lake Worth, FL

#35 Aug 13, 2011
out no more collective bargining [paid leave in there to]not a lot of drama then, i mean who wants to get beat up for free! and for the coward c.o who won't post his/her name up top talking all this shit about how horrible inmates are and all this cell warrior shit u have my name i''m not afraid to put it out there and what about the c.o's who get fired daily and even incaserated for things like abusing inmates, smuggeling drugs establishing a relationship w/ a inmate [been there]how many life's did they ruin? and i am 100% reabilitated,as a matter of fact i am currently living in lakeworth fla outside west palm beach. I paint 420.million dollar houses on the ocean at a starting salary that i can just about garuntee is more then you've ever made being a dirty cop. so maybe u shouldn't b so quick to judge other's exspecilly those who know the truth b/c hionestly were on the outside now and the hole dont say't mean shit to me now! just sayin take that how u want to
a conserned sister

Columbus, OH

#36 Oct 14, 2012
i have heard of things going on in that place, makes it hard for you to sleep knowing a love one maybe hetting beaten by guards or other inmates, their are inmates their that have been raped but too scared to have it said b.c they could end up dead. for the cos not every one of them is crooked but their are alot of them their.... i feel for the men that are getting abused every day and the cos stand by and laugh . the cos should be in fear that they will lose their job....

i have seen my brothers ribs and face along with his arms badly brused with a lock impression on his arm, how do you think he got that. inmates are not allowed to have locks,

only one guess the guards what a guess huh
sighs

Cincinnati, OH

#37 Dec 14, 2013
I am going to assume that everyone who thinks that they "know" that the COs are beating up the inmates have been inside the prison with them and that they sat by there side and watch them be good little inmates just doing their time right? OF COURSE THE PERSON THAT IS LOCKED UP OR ELATED TO YOU IN ANY WAY IS GOING TO SAY THE CO DID SOMETHING TO THEM. AND THEY KNOW THAT YOUR IDIOTIC SELF IS GOING TO BELIEVE IT BECAUSE HE IS YOUR BABY DADDY OR SON. I can tell you right now, a large majority of the inmates in there sit back and think of ways to push the COs. That's all they have is time to think of ways to do irrational things. I will tell you this, the people that are in there, well at least a good majority (99%) have committed crime and I am damn glad that they are behind bars so that my family and I are safe. I think that anyone who is going to defend someone who has done absolute horrible crimes is moronic. YOU should be ashamed. Also, to those who are bashing mothers or fathers for not raising their kids right, this isn't necessarily true either. I have worked one on one with prisoners and I can tell you that out of those hundreds I have only come across ONE person who said they didn't do it. SO that should tell you right there that most are guilty. And as far as not being able to see their families...well they chose that path when they fucked up. Its also sad to say that the recidivism of these inmates are horrible and rising because the people that want to defend them and help them while they are locked up become non supporters when they are released...you also should be ashamed of yourself. UGH...
sighs

Cincinnati, OH

#38 Dec 14, 2013
a conserned sister wrote:
i have heard of things going on in that place, makes it hard for you to sleep knowing a love one maybe hetting beaten by guards or other inmates, their are inmates their that have been raped but too scared to have it said b.c they could end up dead. for the cos not every one of them is crooked but their are alot of them their.... i feel for the men that are getting abused every day and the cos stand by and laugh . the cos should be in fear that they will lose their job....
i have seen my brothers ribs and face along with his arms badly brused with a lock impression on his arm, how do you think he got that. inmates are not allowed to have locks,
only one guess the guards what a guess huh
Clearly you have been misinformed. Inmates ARE allowed to have locks because they have a box that they keep their belongings in...they buy them from the commissary. Stupid ass...lack of information makes people look like complete morons...
sighs

Cincinnati, OH

#39 Dec 14, 2013
Pinkie wrote:
<quoted text>I know this years old, but bullshit, they don't have it good. Yes they committed crimes, but they should which they are not, realihabted, probably misspelled and someone will point that out, because they have nothing better to do. And bullshit, doesn't matter how you raiser your kids, they do as they please. And I'm sure someone will say something about that too,
AGAIN MISINFORMED...they don't have it good...o gosh where to start...lets see it is state law that they have cable. They can sue for ANYTHING for free, as long as they aren't in segregation and have a pass they roam freely, they have crockpots, TVs, VIDIO GAMES in their cells, in some blocks they are allowed to go to others cell and visit. The ONLY thing that you are even remotely correct about in your pathetic reply is that it doesn't matter how you raise your children, some will do as they want...but take into consideration that anything that happens in that childs life growing up, where they were raised, what they were raised around takes toll. its called sociology. You should probably read up on that...just saying.
proud papa

Cleveland, OH

#40 Dec 25, 2013
i pray it was the piece of sh*t that touched my daughter... i'm counting down the days till he gets out in 2035. i'll be able to do what i didn't have a chance to do before he was sent to prison. 25 years for ruining those little boys and little girls lives isn't nearly enough. he will pay and get what is coming to him one day. i have no feelings for anybody in prison.
rookie

Sidney, OH

#41 Jan 16, 2014
first let me say this, a lot of you can not spell!! rehibiliated being one of them, crystal bryant there is a difference between there, their and they're..learn it!! these inmates want to commit horrific crimes and then boohoo about how mistreated they are and its sickening! and yes, behind their doors they make threats and harass officers...for example, "when i get out if i find out where you live i will rape your kids b***h"..and furthermore, while incarcerated these criminals usually continue on with criminal activity..they rape one another, beat and try to kill one another, steal from one another and plot against one another daily!! oh and crystal bryant, FYI: while these baby mammas are so worried about their black man being locked up know this, right before they come to visit their black inmate, he probably was having sex with his celly or other inmate LMFAO!!!!! get a grip people!! I try to be fair firm and consistent but disrespect is disrespect! and these co's are doing a job that most couldnt even dream about being successful at!! we work with the scum that society says they need protection from. also, i would have your black man take some blood tests before you sleep with him because 1% of incarcerated inmates have aids!! and in case you are too ignorant to understand that, that is more than you would find out in the free world!! toodles dummies!
rookie

Sidney, OH

#42 Jan 16, 2014
sighs wrote:
I am going to assume that everyone who thinks that they "know" that the COs are beating up the inmates have been inside the prison with them and that they sat by there side and watch them be good little inmates just doing their time right? OF COURSE THE PERSON THAT IS LOCKED UP OR ELATED TO YOU IN ANY WAY IS GOING TO SAY THE CO DID SOMETHING TO THEM. AND THEY KNOW THAT YOUR IDIOTIC SELF IS GOING TO BELIEVE IT BECAUSE HE IS YOUR BABY DADDY OR SON. I can tell you right now, a large majority of the inmates in there sit back and think of ways to push the COs. That's all they have is time to think of ways to do irrational things. I will tell you this, the people that are in there, well at least a good majority (99%) have committed crime and I am damn glad that they are behind bars so that my family and I are safe. I think that anyone who is going to defend someone who has done absolute horrible crimes is moronic. YOU should be ashamed. Also, to those who are bashing mothers or fathers for not raising their kids right, this isn't necessarily true either. I have worked one on one with prisoners and I can tell you that out of those hundreds I have only come across ONE person who said they didn't do it. SO that should tell you right there that most are guilty. And as far as not being able to see their families...well they chose that path when they fucked up. Its also sad to say that the recidivism of these inmates are horrible and rising because the people that want to defend them and help them while they are locked up become non supporters when they are released...you also should be ashamed of yourself. UGH...
damn you hit the nail on the head!!!! love it!
Evangelina Gomez

San Antonio, TX

#43 Aug 18, 2014
My son was there for some time and when I went to visit thought OMG the c o's or whatever you call the employees there were very rude, I think they are not trained to work with inmates, if you bullied a human being sooner or later they will fight back and that is what the employees there are doing. I was so glad when my son was transfer and by his letters I think he was also relief to be out of there, that Lebanon prison sucks and I witness an employee bring some kind of drug in there and everybody just turned the other way, I didn't say anything because I didn't want my son in trouble or beaten up by the stupid Co's I hope they close that uncivilized prison for good and have the stupid employees out of a job.!
Thelaywer

Dayton, OH

#44 Feb 24, 2016
Thats bad when you can't e van trust your own guards over use of autoririty and they just slap there hands and tell them don't do it again

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warren County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 18-year-old Arrested After Baby Remains Found Nov '17 Barney Fife 8
News Morrow Vice Mayor Bryant sentenced to probation... (Sep '07) Nov '17 flyby99 41
News Lebanon man sent to prison for shooting relative (Apr '17) Sep '17 Lester Neal 3
Lebanon BMV - AVOID (Dec '15) Apr '17 Whatnow 2
Mary Haven Youth Center Warren County Ohio (Aug '09) Feb '17 audrey___ 21
Warren County Building and zoning (Jan '17) Jan '17 FedUP 1
News Showdown looms between GOP 'golden boy' and vet... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Pops 3
More from around the web