Eagles blood drive won't help Valley

The Philadelphia Eagles and the Red Cross do some wonderful things. So why would they want to hurt the Lehigh Valley area? They have teamed up for a blood drive here during the Eagles training camp at Lehigh ... Read more
Tank

Allentown, PA

#1 Jul 8, 2008
From what I understand, the MMBC is doing ok for right now. The Red Cross will help anywhere a disaster occurs, even right here, so essentially, the RC is helping MMBC by having a back up
Over the Mountain

Fogelsville, PA

#2 Jul 8, 2008
Thank You, Mr. Cunningham ,for making the people of the Lehigh Valley aware of this fact. I have known this, for quite awhile. Many people I speak to, say they did not know this.
Mike

Bridgewater, NJ

#3 Jul 8, 2008
In response to Tank, The Red Cross has 2 divisions, Disaster Relief and Blood Banking. However, Miller-Keystone is the only provider of blood to OUR community hospitals. Trust that any blood collected by The Red Cross will be going to either Philly or anywhere else in the country, not to the valley's hospitals. Miller-Keystone is a good community organization, have you seen the headlines on the Red Cross lately?
amanda

Line Lexington, PA

#4 Jul 8, 2008
So let me get this straight, only people in the Valley should be helped if they need blood? Who cares what area gets the blood. The Gift of Life is important to every area. Miller Keystone is everywhere. I see them at events all over the Valley. I don't think it's going to hurt the Valley if this particular blood drive doesn't directly help the Valley. This Valley is snotty enough, now you don't even want people to donate blood if it's not going to stay in the Valley - unbelievable!!
Jess

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Jul 9, 2008
The point is that if the Valley donors donate with the Red Cross there could be a shortage of blood in the Valley - because the blood collected with Red Cross will be going anywhere but the Valley. Since Miller is the only provider to our community hospitals it would be better to give your blood to them to assure the hospitals have what they need. Blood collection is very tough during the summer months for all blood centers - people don't donate as frequently in the summer. Whether the Valley is "snotty" or not doesn't matter - what matters is the lives of the patients sitting in our hospital beds and being able to provide them with what they need to survive.
Baby Blood

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Jul 9, 2008
Mr. Cunningham, if it bothers you so, go donate.
Sedrick

Nazareth, PA

#7 Jul 9, 2008
Amanda completely misses the point. No one is saying not to donate because it will not stay in the Valley. It is not a matter of the Valley being snotty, as you so eliquintly put it. Miller Keystone is seen "all over the valley" because they are the ONLY supplier for the Valley. The summer months are a time for blood shortages to begin with without the Red Cross coming in to make the Valley shortages even worse. The Red Cross comes into the back yard of Miller Keystone to leech the life blood out of the local area and you expect us to cheer? Shame on you Amanda from Philadelphia and shame on the Red Cross who is so willing to hurt an organization like Miller Keystone.
Shely

Allentown, PA

#8 Jul 9, 2008
I would never donate with the Red Cross. They have millions of dollars in fines from the FDA for violating blood safety laws. No thank you.
amanda

Line Lexington, PA

#9 Jul 10, 2008
Sedrick wrote:
Amanda completely misses the point. No one is saying not to donate because it will not stay in the Valley. It is not a matter of the Valley being snotty, as you so eliquintly put it. Miller Keystone is seen "all over the valley" because they are the ONLY supplier for the Valley. The summer months are a time for blood shortages to begin with without the Red Cross coming in to make the Valley shortages even worse. The Red Cross comes into the back yard of Miller Keystone to leech the life blood out of the local area and you expect us to cheer? Shame on you Amanda from Philadelphia and shame on the Red Cross who is so willing to hurt an organization like Miller Keystone.
Just so you know I am not from Philly. I live in Allentown (I cannot help where Topix says I live) and I do donate to Miller Keystone. And just for the record I am helping to organize a Miller Keystone Blood Drive on August 9th at a benefit event. So don't say "shame on Amanda" because you have no clue what I am all about. And no I didn't miss the point. I am just smart enough to know that blood is needed everywhere, not just here.
Sedrick

Nazareth, PA

#10 Jul 10, 2008
I'm sticking to what I said before. Shame on Amanda. I say that because you seem to be blind to the fact that the Red Cross is thumbing its nose at Miller Keystone for its own selfish reasons. I don't need to know what "you are all about" because it is obvious that you want to keep your head in the sand about the Red Cross stealing the blood out of the veins of Miller Keystone. Shame Shame Shame.
Stupid Idiot

Allentown, PA

#11 Jul 12, 2008
Amanda, let me congratulate you for your efforts in organizing a blood drive. I'm sure that's a lot of work. You are correct by stating people should donate blood no matter where. Currently only about 3-5% of the population are blood donors. What does matter, however, is many people in the Lehigh Valley area are totally unaware of Mr. Cunningham has stated in his editorial. Suppose you were involved with a fundraiser for a event that although it were for a specific cause, say a young child with leukemia, and after the event was done and $10,000 was raised, it became public knowledge that the money was channeled to a parent organization somewhere. Sure, the money you raised and/or donated is doing a world of good, however, just not exactly what you thought and that's disappointing. When I hear the ads that the region's blood supply is low, I wonder what will happen if someone in my family or my friends is in an accident and uses upwards of 50 units of blood in an effort to save their life. I'd like to think the supply at Miller-Keystone will be there for them; here, in the Lehigh Valley. Everyone should consider blood donation. It doesn't cost anything other than a bit of time and each donation can save three lives! My family has saved a lot of lives in this area and I hope to continue to save many more. Please consider joining me and Give the Gift of Life.....to Miller-Keystone Blood Center and the area hospitals the are the SOLE supplier of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Warren County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Centenary College celebrates April, Shakespeare... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Evelyn 1
News Alleged non-payment of child support at center ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 jsaund28352 1
News Reaction mixed to New Jersey Senate bill that w... (Jun '13) Jun '13 nj resident 1
News Warren County residents raise money to rescue f... (May '13) May '13 deb harden 1
News Walmart Construction Causing Controversy - Regi... (Feb '11) Jan '13 Rian 11
News Phillipsburg attempted abduction a hoax, accord... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Concerned neighbor 1
News Hurricane Sandy: More than 45,000 without power... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Clare 2
More from around the web