Man shot by Wallowa County deputies i...

Man shot by Wallowa County deputies is identified

There are 15 comments on the Oregonlive.com story from Oct 9, 2009, titled Man shot by Wallowa County deputies is identified. In it, Oregonlive.com reports that:

The Wallowa County District Attorney's office today identified the man shot and killed by sheriff's deputies on Wednesday at a campground in northeastern Oregon as Roy S. Bass, 52.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Oregonlive.com.

birmingham

Farmington, NM

#1 Oct 15, 2009
I think there is a whole lot more to this story....We will never know the real truth
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#2 Oct 15, 2009
This is so sad...and so tragic.
I knew Roy. He always had a beautiful smile...and was a good man...and I will miss him, forever.
I wish I knew exactly why this happened...
God Bless you, Roy....
I will see you later!(-:
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
birmingham

Farmington, NM

#3 Oct 15, 2009
Mary wrote:
This is so sad...and so tragic.
I knew Roy. He always had a beautiful smile...and was a good man...and I will miss him, forever.
I wish I knew exactly why this happened...
God Bless you, Roy....
I will see you later!(-:
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Thank you Mary for the kinds words...The family greatly appreciates
hearing from all of Roy's friends....God Bless You...I can tell you
were a very special friend to Roy...
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#4 Oct 16, 2009
birmingham wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Mary for the kinds words...The family greatly appreciates
hearing from all of Roy's friends....God Bless You...I can tell you
were a very special friend to Roy...
<><><>< ><><><> <<<<>>> >><><>< ><><><> <><>
Hello Birmingham,
I would love to talk to you if possible...if and when you are comfortable with that...Roy means so much to me...can we get in touch somehow? I would love to talk to you if
you are o.k. with that...I hope we can connect. I have been
dealing with this all alone, and it's been very hard...and I know
it must be terrible for everyone who loves him.
I have Roy's picture where I can always see his smiling face...and keep him close to me in spirit...I miss him very much.
I hope to talk to you.
birmingham

Farmington, NM

#5 Oct 16, 2009
(QUOTE)...Hey Mary,
I am a very good friend of one of Roy's sisters (We work in the same office together)...I have been in the office on occasion when Roy has called to speak with his sister....And, she has also told me some of his many adventures...I even had the opportunity of meeting him one time....Roy was a very intellegent man...He was a great brother,dad,friend,& inventor with many awards and his Master's degree....There are not many of us who can say such things about ourselves or even people we know....I am just like you - I do not understand how something could have gotten to this point....All I do know is that on any given day I am very capable of blowing a fuse of two...I do not know whose fuse went first....I just feel it could have been prevented...And, because of how it erupted (for whatever reason) a very special is no longer with us....Roy was a GREAT person with a lot of special friends and family who LOVED HIM VERY MUCH.....I look forward to hearing from you again...As I know his sister would like to hear from you also...This is just really hard on her at the particular time as I am sure you understand....Take Care and God Bless You (Have a GREAT Weekend)!!!!
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#6 Oct 16, 2009
Hello Birmingham,
I am so happy to hear back from you...
I used to live in Oregon and moved back to Maine twice.
I had lost touch with Roy when he left the Stay N Wash RV park...I'd been trying to figure out how to locate him, but since he moved around in his motor home...it was hard...especially since I moved to Maine.
The two weeks preceeding his death I was trying frantically to find him...I found a nice photo of him online. He was smiling, happy, healthy looking and I was so glad to "see" him...then I clicked on the next article...and it was the story of the police shooting him at the campground. Roy was killed on my birthday...and no matter what day this happened it would have been horrible...but October was an important month to me as far as Roy goes...it was the month I met him a few years back. I used to walk my dog with Roy and his dog, Josie....had dinner with him many times...listened to him play his guitar...and spent lots of wonderful time with him. Anyway...I guess I should not go on and on here...seeing as this is not private!...but I would be happy to give you my email address if you would want it...and would want to talk further. Let me know. God bless and be with you all, and comfort all of you. I am having a terrible time dealing with this...and my heart goes out to all of you who loved him too...You are all in my prayers...even though I don't know you...you loved him...so we have that in common to start with. Love and hugs to all of you.
p.s. the photo online is a wonderful photo of him...don't know if you have it...I can let you know about that too, if you'd like.
Much love to you all.
birmingham wrote:
(QUOTE)...Hey Mary,
I am a very good friend of one of Roy's sisters (We work in the same office together)...I have been in the office on occasion when Roy has called to speak with his sister....And, she has also told me some of his many adventures...I even had the opportunity of meeting him one time....Roy was a very intellegent man...He was a great brother,dad,friend,& inventor with many awards and his Master's degree....There are not many of us who can say such things about ourselves or even people we know....I am just like you - I do not understand how something could have gotten to this point....All I do know is that on any given day I am very capable of blowing a fuse of two...I do not know whose fuse went first....I just feel it could have been prevented...And, because of how it erupted (for whatever reason) a very special is no longer with us....Roy was a GREAT person with a lot of special friends and family who LOVED HIM VERY MUCH.....I look forward to hearing from you again...As I know his sister would like to hear from you also...This is just really hard on her at the particular time as I am sure you understand....Take Care and God Bless You (Have a GREAT Weekend)!!!!
birmingham

Farmington, NM

#7 Oct 16, 2009
<
Hey Again!!!!!
It was great to hear from you again...Roy's sister was happy to hear all of the very nice things you had to say...She does remember when you went back to Maine as Roy was unhappy to see you go...His sister is very interested in the picture online - please let us know where to find it....And, as far as getting in touch -- I would love to keep in touch ... Just let me know... Take Care of Yourself!!!!! Oh Yeah, my name of Shannon
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#8 Oct 16, 2009
Hi Shannon,
I am happy to hear from you again too!
My email address is: [email protected]
I will look up the website and get the address of it,
so you can give it to Roy's sister and she can see if she
can find it and get
the photo. It's a really nice photo of Roy. It's just how
I remember him.
Love and Blessings to all of you, and may God comfort you...
It is so good to know this seperation is not forever...
and that is a wonderful thing to remember...
and does ease the pain and gives us hope
and something to look forward to.
Love to you all.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
birmingham wrote:
<
Hey Again!!!!!
It was great to hear from you again...Roy's sister was happy to hear all of the very nice things you had to say...She does remember when you went back to Maine as Roy was unhappy to see you go...His sister is very interested in the picture online - please let us know where to find it....And, as far as getting in touch -- I would love to keep in touch ... Just let me know... Take Care of Yourself!!!!! Oh Yeah, my name of Shannon
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#9 Oct 17, 2009
Hello again "Birmingham" ...Shannon...(-:
I would like to send a sympathy card to Roy's sister...or any family members...if possible.
If that's o.k. you can write to me at my email address...if you'd like. I got a card today.
You're all in my thoughts and prayers...
With Love....Mary
Birmingham

Lincoln, NE

#10 Oct 18, 2009
Hey Mary...
That would be very thoughtful...I know they would love that...I will be in touch tomorrow...It is almost midnight here...so, I have got to get some sleep since I've got to be at the office early tomorrow....Thank you again for all of your kindness....
Take Care & God Bless You!!!!!
Shannon
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#11 Oct 19, 2009
Good Morning to you, Shannon,
I am happy to hear back from you again.
I had an interesting conversation with a friend
of Roy's in Oregon, and she and I talked for an
hour or so...I am working on finding as much out
as I can, to put the missing pieces of this puzzle
together...to help myself and maybe others,
understand what happened and why, if that is possible. Anyone there who wishes to talk with me
sometime, down the line...when they feel up to it...is welcome to contact me.I am hoping that to
understand what happened a bit better will help
me to be able to handle this better. Please give
my love to everyone there...and I hope to hear from
you about an address to send the card to, when you have a chance. God bless and be with you all.
Love and hugs,
"Mary"
Ray

AOL

#12 Oct 19, 2009
Iknew Roy as Smitty.We went to high school together.
He was one of the smartest student in our school, Ensley H.S. was one of the largest schools in birmingham.
He had no enemies.
He was the man man of the family, his father died when he and his sisters were kids.
He was not the " wild child " I was.
I do not question his passions or ability to debate.
I respect the tough job of the Wallowa lawmen, BUT, last MAY deadly force was used.
In May, the details are clear that the officers took extra measures not to put themselves in harms way.
Was there no way to talk this situation down????
The small amout of infomation I can find about Smitty's case just doen't add-up.
So I have heard,Smitty warned that something like this would happen.
He had stepped on some BIG TOES in or around Wallowa.
Considering his knowledge, he could have made a fool out of someone trying to play verbal ping pong with him.
If Smitty did attack TELL ME WHAT WENT DOWN.
I would like to hear from the two Rogers'.
Did they both fire on him?
Did my old friend run out of the woods with a gun blazing attack???????
The news I have heard he never fired a shot.
I think he was an advocate of legal use of marijuana......
wHO CARES?
The President of the United States agrees.
The only problems with marijuana are the laws.
This case is an onion, many layers.
Like an onion it brings tears.
If he was wrong, say so, otherwise, release the details.
Missing a friend,
Ray
Ray

AOL

#13 Oct 19, 2009
Mary & Shannon
I would like to see the picture of Smitty.
I know his name is Roy, but around here we knew him as Smitty.
Am I wrong?
Something stinks here doesn't it.
You can email me at [email protected]
Thanks,
Ray
PS iknow both his sisters and I knew his mom.
These are good people
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#14 Oct 19, 2009
To Ray and Shannon...
Ray, I have your email so I will send the directions of how to get to the website...and Shannon...I'll send to you, too...soon as I know how to reach you.
It's a slightly complicated round about way, but it is the only way I could get it to work. The photo is a beautiful one of Roy..."Smitty" (-:
He is smiling and looks very happy. I am working on a pencil portrait of him right now...It's coming out good so far and if it comes out right...and looks like him, I would like you, Shannon, to give it to his family for me...whoever you think should have it. You can make copies if you'd like....so they each can have one. I am doing the best job I can on it. I've been drawing all my life...so it better come out good, right?! It is sad to me, as I draw his face and it's almost life-sized...and as I look at him and remember that beautiful smile and those eyes...The photo is almost exactly as I remember him, from in Oregon...only maybe he is a bit younger in that picture-but almost looks the same to me.I am so upset that this happened. I keep hoping I will wake up and it will just have been a horrible nightmare.
There is a lot to this story...I am trying to piece together information to make some sense of all this.
I prefer to write to you both to your private emails...as I type here...I almost forget this is not private ... so I'll end for now.
It's late so I will write in the morning, Ray. I thank you both for getting in touch with me. It means a lot to me to connect with people who love Roy. Bye for now...
Mary
Mary

Biddeford, ME

#15 Oct 21, 2009
Hi Shannon,
I think I can email you the photo...I emailed it to Ray, but have not heard back yet to see if it worked the way I did it. I hope he got it o.k.
I hope to hear from you again.
You can email me at:
[email protected]
Love to all Roy's friends and family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wallowa County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sierra Leone native learning U.S. culture as ex... (Oct '13) Oct '13 confort johnson 1
News Reflecting on reunions, making lifetime memories (Mar '12) Sep '12 imho 2
News 2nd largest pot grow busted in E. Oregon (Aug '11) Aug '11 Sheik Yerbouti 1
News Author sheds light on a dark secret (Jun '10) Jun '10 ohio wrangler 1
More from around the web