Judge: Police illegally seized suspec...

Judge: Police illegally seized suspected fighting dogs

There are 26 comments on the Daytona Beach News-Journal Online story from Feb 1, 2018, titled Judge: Police illegally seized suspected fighting dogs. In it, Daytona Beach News-Journal Online reports that:

DAYTONA BEACH - Nearly two dozen pit bulls seized last year by Daytona Beach police on suspicion they were being used for fighting were returned to their owners after a judge determined the animals were confiscated without a warrant. County Judge Angela Dempsey threw out the city's petition to take custody of the animals after the court determined police violated Noble Geathers' Fourth Amendment rights when they illegally searched his property at 225 Reva St. on Nov. 2, 2017, and unlawfully confiscated 23 dogs.   The raid on the house and the confiscation of the dogs have not been made public by police.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daytona Beach News-Journal Online.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CONCERN READER

Daytona Beach, FL

#1 Feb 1, 2018
It's probably a racist act. Because no one complained of hearing any noise from the dogs .The dogs were not damage and in good health. This is a man that loves animals.They all had shelter and food.They came without a warrant and too the dogs.they got them back.But they had charge the people money for something that should have never happen.PEOPLE LET'S SHOW SOME LOVE FOR EACH OTHER.STOP TRYING TO SHOW OFF .WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WE APPRECIATE YOU.
Daytona Beach

New York, NY

#2 Feb 8, 2018
CONCERN READER wrote:
It's probably a racist act. Because no one complained of hearing any noise from the dogs .The dogs were not damage and in good health. This is a man that loves animals.They all had shelter and food.They came without a warrant and too the dogs.they got them back.But they had charge the people money for something that should have never happen.PEOPLE LET'S SHOW SOME LOVE FOR EACH OTHER.STOP TRYING TO SHOW OFF .WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WE APPRECIATE YOU.
Doesn't surprise me that the police did something illegal. The only way to stop this is to start suing these officers personally in civil court! I guarantee alot of the illegal activities and corruption would stop.
Daytona Beach

New York, NY

#3 Feb 8, 2018
Unfortunately, the only way to get any satisfaction for the police harrassing people, and doing stuff that is illegal is to sue then in civil court. The officers superiors are part of the problem condoning their harrassing and illegal behavior. For the most part these officers get away with this crap because there are little or no repercussions for their behavior. Suing these officers in civil court for their bad behavior might make them wake up.
Captain Obvious

Glen Burnie, MD

#4 Feb 9, 2018
Daytona Beach wrote:
Unfortunately, the only way to get any satisfaction for the police harrassing people, and doing stuff that is illegal is to sue then in civil court. The officers superiors are part of the problem condoning their harrassing and illegal behavior. For the most part these officers get away with this crap because there are little or no repercussions for their behavior. Suing these officers in civil court for their bad behavior might make them wake up.
Unfortunately when you sue a police officer for misconduct on the job, that officer is supported by all of the resources of the police force he works for, the municipality controlling the police force, and the state, as well as the police union. So, unless you are very wealthy or very lucky your chances of winning a law suit against a police officer are about zero. I speak from personal experience. The police are the most dangerous criminal gang in the country, the general public just doesn't know it until they become a victim.
Happy

Port Orange, FL

#5 Feb 12, 2018
Captain Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately when you sue a police officer for misconduct on the job, that officer is supported by all of the resources of the police force he works for, the municipality controlling the police force, and the state, as well as the police union. So, unless you are very wealthy or very lucky your chances of winning a law suit against a police officer are about zero. I speak from personal experience. The police are the most dangerous criminal gang in the country, the general public just doesn't know it until they become a victim.
The police union or state have absolutely nothing to do with suing police officers in civil court for illegal or harassing behavior. The union or state/municipality would only come into play if you were suing a specific police department or municipality.

“Animal Testing Saves Lives”

Since: Apr 11

And Saving Lives is Good

#6 Feb 12, 2018
Captain Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
This is pretty much true. they are an agent of the government and the only recourse against the police is through the government. Beyond that, they brainwash the youth into thinking that the police should be trusted under all circumstances thereby making the general public think that they can do no wrong. The best way to combat them is through a jury system where there may be someone with a modicum of common sense and human decency.

And Saving Lives is Good

#7 Feb 12, 2018
Happy wrote:
<quoted text>
The police union or state have absolutely nothing to do with suing police officers in civil court for illegal or harassing behavior. The union or state/municipality would only come into play if you were suing a specific police department or municipality.
When you sue a police officer, the municipality/state foots the bill. They will defend the police officer in all circumstances.
Virginia Vegetarian

Stafford, VA

#8 Feb 16, 2018
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

This is pretty much true. they are an agent of the government and the only recourse against the police is through the government. Beyond that, they brainwash the youth into thinking that the police should be trusted under all circumstances thereby making the general public think that they can do no wrong. The best way to combat them is through a jury system where there may be someone with a modicum of common sense and human decency.
Every time I think you can't possibly know less about a topic, you go and prove me wrong. You know so little, it's difficult to keep up with what you don't know. You are, however, consistent in your ignorance.
Captain Obvious

Essex, MD

#9 Feb 18, 2018
Happy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you sue a police officer for misconduct on the job the department is held liable too. This is because the police officer will claim that he acted as he was trained to act and the department provides the training. The police union will provide legal council and resources at no charge to the officer. Even officers of small municipalities are considered, by law, as employees of the state. My civil suit went all the way to the SCOTUS, lasted nearly 10 years, and cost me nearly $200,000 in legal fees before it was over. I know what I'm talking about.
Virginia Vegetarian

Stafford, VA

#10 Feb 18, 2018
Captain Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
When you sue a police officer for misconduct on the job the department is held liable too. This is because the police officer will claim that he acted as he was trained to act and the department provides the training. The police union will provide legal council and resources at no charge to the officer. Even officers of small municipalities are considered, by law, as employees of the state. My civil suit went all the way to the SCOTUS, lasted nearly 10 years, and cost me nearly $200,000 in legal fees before it was over. I know what I'm talking about.
The only thing obvious, Oliver Wendell Homely, is that like many of the things you pontificate about on this forum under your many pseudonyms, is that you also know so little it is difficult to keep up with what you don't know. Heck, I bet you think affidavit is a Jewish wine. You were told to file a brief, so you stuck your underwear in a filing cabinet. When asked by the judge if you had any motions, you said, "Yes, I can move back and forth, and side to side".

Unless you provide a docket number so your claims can be verified, they are just that, claims. Just because you claim or utter something, doesn't make it true, so we'll just have to call BS on all your nonsense. You're just another numbskull who got caught doing something illegal, and right away claim their rights were violated.

Try again.
Common sense

Darby, PA

#11 Feb 18, 2018
Virginia Vegetarian wrote:
<quoted text>

The only thing obvious, Oliver Wendell Homely, is that like many of the things you pontificate about on this forum under your many pseudonyms, is that you also know so little it is difficult to keep up with what you don't know. Heck, I bet you think affidavit is a Jewish wine. You were told to file a brief, so you stuck your underwear in a filing cabinet. When asked by the judge if you had any motions, you said, "Yes, I can move back and forth, and side to side".

Unless you provide a docket number so your claims can be verified, they are just that, claims. Just because you claim or utter something, doesn't make it true, so we'll just have to call BS on all your nonsense. You're just another numbskull who got caught doing something illegal, and right away claim their rights were violated.

Try again.
Making claims and reaching conclusions without evidnece is something you are very adept at doing. Unfortunately it isn't really something that would be considered a strength. Quite the opposite actually.
Virginia Vegetarian

Stafford, VA

#12 Feb 18, 2018
Common sense wrote:
<quoted text>

Making claims and reaching conclusions without evidnece is something you are very adept at doing. Unfortunately it isn't really something that would be considered a strength. Quite the opposite actually.
Too bad you don't take your own advice.

And Saving Lives is Good

#13 Feb 18, 2018
<quoted text>

Too bad you don't take your own advice.
But I do. This is one of the ways that we are different. You reach conclusions in the absence of evidence and then try to find things to confirm your conclusions. Me, I ask questions and then look to reality to determine the answer. Take the "animal abuse leads to human abuse" premise that you believe in. Somewhere in life, you randomly (without evidence) concluded that animal abuse leads to future human abuse. You continuously look for evidence to confirm this belief. Me on the other hand, I ask the question "does animal abuse lead to future human abuse" and I open my mind to the answer. I look to science to see if there is in fact an established link. when I cannot find one, I conclude that there isn't evidence to suggest that animal abuse leads to future human abuse. You are a low information American. You really should try to get yourself educated. I have helped you tremendously. Remember when you thought that a magazine article was research? You should try to take some college classes or something. You would be amazed at what you could learn!

And Saving Lives is Good

#14 Feb 18, 2018
Virgin Veggie, you seem to consider yourself to be intellectual. None of the vegans on this forum can give an answer to this seemingly simple question but maybe you can. What is wrong or immoral about an omnivore eating meat?
Virginia Vegetarian

Stafford, VA

#15 Feb 18, 2018
USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>

But I do. This is one of the ways that we are different. You reach conclusions in the absence of evidence and then try to find things to confirm your conclusions. Me, I ask questions and then look to reality to determine the answer. Take the "animal abuse leads to human abuse" premise that you believe in. Somewhere in life, you randomly (without evidence) concluded that animal abuse leads to future human abuse. You continuously look for evidence to confirm this belief. Me on the other hand, I ask the question "does animal abuse lead to future human abuse" and I open my mind to the answer. I look to science to see if there is in fact an established link. when I cannot find one, I conclude that there isn't evidence to suggest that animal abuse leads to future human abuse. You are a low information American. You really should try to get yourself educated. I have helped you tremendously. Remember when you thought that a magazine article was research? You should try to take some college classes or something. You would be amazed at what you could learn!
Saying you do, doesn't make it so. You have offered no proof as to your self described intellectual superiority. But don't feel bad, Squach (or whatever name she chooses to go by at the time) does the same thing. Plus your lack of reading comprehension is really making it difficult for you. Show me where I ever said that 'animal abuse leads to human abuse'. If you need clarification on the connection between animal abuse and interpersonal violence, maybe you should read some of those Psych 101 community college textbooks you claim to have - oh right, that reading comprehension thing will bite you in the ass again.

Unlike you, mental health (psychiatrists and psychologists), law enforcement, and social work professionals agree that animal abuse IS a big deal, and that those that commit those atrocities are more likely to commit violence against people than those who don't. Science will never be able to show anything definitive when it comes to human behaviour, so quit asking for it to. Human behaviour can't be quantified or measured and there is no STP.

Except for your mommy and you, no one else thinks you are very bright, and your mommy is losing confidence with every post you make. You should quit while you are behind.
Virginia Vegetarian

Stafford, VA

#16 Feb 18, 2018
USA R0CKS wrote:
Virgin Veggie, you seem to consider yourself to be intellectual. None of the vegans on this forum can give an answer to this seemingly simple question but maybe you can. What is wrong or immoral about an omnivore eating meat?
Why are you hung up on morality? It is quite obvious you don't have any.
Captain Obvious

Essex, MD

#17 Feb 19, 2018
<quoted text>

Try again.
Think whatever you like if it makes you feel better about being an idiot. I know what I have said is true and I have no need or desire to provide you with any details. It's all a matter of public record, if you want details dig for them. Maybe in your digging you will discover that for every numbskull who wrongfully claims his rights were violated there is another person who was victimized by police misconduct or incompetence.

And Saving Lives is Good

#18 Feb 19, 2018
<quoted text>

Saying you do, doesn't make it so. You have offered no proof as to your self described intellectual superiority. But don't feel bad, Squach (or whatever name she chooses to go by at the time) does the same thing. Plus your lack of reading comprehension is really making it difficult for you. Show me where I ever said that 'animal abuse leads to human abuse'. If you need clarification on the connection between animal abuse and interpersonal violence, maybe you should read some of those Psych 101 community college textbooks you claim to have - oh right, that reading comprehension thing will bite you in the ass again.

Unlike you, mental health (psychiatrists and psychologists), law enforcement, and social work professionals agree that animal abuse IS a big deal, and that those that commit those atrocities are more likely to commit violence against people than those who don't. Science will never be able to show anything definitive when it comes to human behaviour, so quit asking for it to. Human behaviour can't be quantified or measured and there is no STP.

Except for your mommy and you, no one else thinks you are very bright, and your mommy is losing confidence with every post you make. You should quit while you are behind.
I don't think of my self as being intellectually superior to anybody. I just present the facts. I am very happy to hear that you now agree that there is not any evidence, other than human conjecture, that animal "abuse" leads to future human abuse. You are learning a lot by talking to me. You are coming along. Reality is great thing!

And Saving Lives is Good

#19 Feb 19, 2018
<quoted text>

Why are you hung up on morality? It is quite obvious you don't have any.
So I can't formulate an answer either. I wish you were smarter or better educated. Perhaps then you could provide some resemblance of substantiation for your claims.

And Saving Lives is Good

#20 Feb 19, 2018
Captain Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>

Think whatever you like if it makes you feel better about being an idiot. I know what I have said is true and I have no need or desire to provide you with any details. It's all a matter of public record, if you want details dig for them. Maybe in your digging you will discover that for every numbskull who wrongfully claims his rights were violated there is another person who was victimized by police misconduct or incompetence.
Don't give any information about yourself to people like Virgin Veggie. He would try to destroy your life because you disagree with him. He is a strange and potentially dangerous character.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Volusia County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Abused Woman Held Captive By Boyfriend Slips No... May '18 roofroofies 1
News Volusia leads Central Florida counties in schoo... Apr '18 Hegelian Dialectic 2
News Daytona Beach club dancer brandishes rifle afte... Feb '18 kyman 1
News Girl, 16, raped by teen at Pine Ridge High (Feb '07) Jan '18 90s student 100
News What I saw: Over and over, men take bait in Orl... (Sep '09) Jan '18 Russian 31
News Deltona dentist arrested after 'tug of war' wit... (May '11) Jan '18 bakerlb57 9
Eric Hinkson Florida (Dec '17) Dec '17 Disgusted 5