Bank Repossesses Wrong House, Sells O...

Bank Repossesses Wrong House, Sells Off Homeowner's Stuff

There are 106 comments on the Gawker story from Jul 24, 2013, titled Bank Repossesses Wrong House, Sells Off Homeowner's Stuff. In it, Gawker reports that:

An Ohio bank is refusing to reimburse a Vinton County woman whose house they unjustly repossessed while she was out of town .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gawker.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
John Q Public

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Jul 24, 2013
Wow, that is outrageous! And that the bank doesn't want to make it right!! They should pay DOUBLE retail price for all of the aggravation involved in getting her house back in order.

Get a lawyer ASAP, and I know one bank I will NEVER do business with after reading this story and will let others know as well. I'd be PISSED if a bank came in and stole all of my stuff!!!
outrageous

Portsmouth, OH

#2 Jul 24, 2013
outrageous is right! FNB is refusing to give her retail value of her stuff. Maybe Daniel was in a hurry to buy another house to add to his collection. and they are not going to do anything to him for this error. come on. that makes it doubly outrageous. he is a slumlord. I hope she gets a good lawyer.
:)

Jackson, OH

#3 Jul 24, 2013
John Q Public wrote:
Wow, that is outrageous! And that the bank doesn't want to make it right!! They should pay DOUBLE retail price for all of the aggravation involved in getting her house back in order.

Get a lawyer ASAP, and I know one bank I will NEVER do business with after reading this story and will let others know as well. I'd be PISSED if a bank came in and stole all of my stuff!!!
I couldn't have said it better myself :)
Smh

Jackson, OH

#4 Jul 24, 2013
If you rob a bank you go to prison but if the bank robs you they don't get Sh*t??!! Can someone please explain to me how this is okay?
John Q Public

Chillicothe, OH

#5 Jul 24, 2013
She needs to get this in the local papers. Get enough shit stirred up and things get done and the bank might change its tune once it's all out in public and the customers know what is going on.
Smh

Jackson, OH

#6 Jul 24, 2013
Call channel 10 news. They can get shit done!! I would not back down. How do these people sleep at night knowing the wronged someone? This is just terrible!!
badchoice

Jackson, OH

#7 Jul 24, 2013
Smh wrote:
Call channel 10 news. They can get shit done!! I would not back down. How do these people sleep at night knowing the wronged someone? This is just terrible!!
ch 10 was there and the bank would not comment on it. right about now I wish I was a lawyer and her as my client!
yeah boy

Jackson, OH

#8 Jul 24, 2013
i remember when they had a teller stealing from a babys memorial fund so i guess now its the higher up the bank ladder stealing from people I will never deal with fnb my parents went to day to close out their accounts with them this is mind blowing
They suck

Mount Vernon, MO

#9 Jul 25, 2013
John Q Public wrote:
She needs to get this in the local papers. Get enough shit stirred up and things get done and the bank might change its tune once it's all out in public and the customers know what is going on.
I'm in Missouri and I've been sharing this on Facebook and also posting their number so people can call them and let them know how they feel. By the time this is done she's going to be able to get retail plus pain and suffering haha
LMAO

El Dorado, AR

#10 Jul 25, 2013
Tresspassing, Grand Theft, Illegal Entry, Home Invasion, Burglary. Federal Lawsuit. Mental anguish. My wife is a Senior Vice President for a Major U S Bank, she says the lady could own this Bank.
yeah boy

Jackson, OH

#12 Jul 25, 2013
what really sucks is how the macarthur police call this case closed? really now if any one of us broke into someones house do u think they would just close the case?
I heard

Tazewell, TN

#13 Jul 25, 2013
A semi dump truck full of cow shit was just dumped in the banks front door.
My Sharona

Granville, OH

#14 Jul 25, 2013
I heard wrote:
A semi dump truck full of cow shit was just dumped in the banks front door.
I need some fertilizer
Huggies

United States

#15 Jul 25, 2013
This is the banks statement. They have tried to
Do their best to make things right. She is trying to shake them down. Alot of people from wellston can be hurt here.
A message from Tony Thorne regarding current news stories about our bank
July 25, 2013
The First National Bank of Wellston is a 127-year-old locally owned independent bank serving Jackson and Vinton Counties in Ohio. With two banking offices and 36 employees, our mission is to serve the banking needs of the people and businesses in our local communities.
On June 18, 2013, two representatives of the First National Bank of Wellston were assigned to clean and refurbish a bank-owned residential property. Regrettably, the GPS locator they used to find the property led them to the wrong home, which was located on the same street as the target property (we have since retraced their route using the same GPS, and it again took us to the same wrong location). As we discovered later, the property to which they were directed actually belonged to another individual.
When our representatives arrived, they noted that the grass was overgrown, the door was unlocked, and the utilities had been turned off. The home was also nearly empty, with two dressers being the only furniture inside the premises, and a neighbor indicated that the home had been vacant for some time. Therefore, not knowing that the GPS was incorrect, our employees had no reason to doubt that they were at the right location, and they proceeded to change the door locks, clean the property, and discard what they assumed to be trash and abandoned items. Unfortunately, we did not discover our error until the clean-up process was nearly complete.
This situation was a mistake on the part of our bank and – as we have done previously – we sincerely apologize to the homeowner for the inconvenience and concern it may have caused.
In addition, we communicated to the homeowner our desire to compensate her fairly and equitably for her inconvenience and loss. However, the written list of items that she provided to us – and the value she assigned to those items – is inconsistent with the list and descriptions of items removed that was prepared by the employees who did the work, and with the list and values of missing items provided by the homeowner herself as recorded in an earlier telephone conversation with one of our representatives.
In a meeting with me in my office, I indicated to the homeowner that we wanted to compensate her but would have to look further into the differences in the lists. We heard nothing more from her or otherwise about this situation until being contacted by a local television station, which subsequently broadcast a story that, from our perspective, did not accurately reflect the facts or the good faith actions of the First National Bank to resolve the situation.
Nearly all of the news stories that you may have seen – regardless of whether on television or the internet – appear to have been taken directly from the local television report. Other than CNN, no news media that has rebroadcast or reprinted this story has contacted us to get our side of the story or to verify the claims made on the local station. Nothing like this has ever happened to our bank before, and we have instituted additional internal controls to ensure that it will not happen again.
Anthony S. Thorne President & CEO
SSDD

Tazewell, TN

#16 Jul 26, 2013
Huggies wrote:
This is the banks statement. They have tried to
Do their best to make things right. She is trying to shake them down. Alot of people from wellston can be hurt here.
A message from Tony Thorne regarding current news stories about our bank
July 25, 2013
The First National Bank of Wellston is a 127-year-old locally owned independent bank serving Jackson and Vinton Counties in Ohio. With two banking offices and 36 employees, our mission is to serve the banking needs of the people and businesses in our local communities.
On June 18, 2013, two representatives of the First National Bank of Wellston were assigned to clean and refurbish a bank-owned residential property. Regrettably, the GPS locator they used to find the property led them to the wrong home, which was located on the same street as the target property (we have since retraced their route using the same GPS, and it again took us to the same wrong location). As we discovered later, the property to which they were directed actually belonged to another individual.
When our representatives arrived, they noted that the grass was overgrown, the door was unlocked, and the utilities had been turned off. The home was also nearly empty, with two dressers being the only furniture inside the premises, and a neighbor indicated that the home had been vacant for some time. Therefore, not knowing that the GPS was incorrect, our employees had no reason to doubt that they were at the right location, and they proceeded to change the door locks, clean the property, and discard what they assumed to be trash and abandoned items. Unfortunately, we did not discover our error until the clean-up process was nearly complete.
This situation was a mistake on the part of our bank and – as we have done previously – we sincerely apologize to the homeowner for the inconvenience and concern it may have caused.
In addition, we communicated to the homeowner our desire to compensate her fairly and equitably for her inconvenience and loss. However, the written list of items that she provided to us – and the value she assigned to those items – is inconsistent with the list and descriptions of items removed that was prepared by the employees who did the work, and with the list and values of missing items provided by the homeowner herself as recorded in an earlier telephone conversation with one of our representatives.
In a meeting with me in my office, I indicated to the homeowner that we wanted to compensate her but would have to look further into the differences in the lists. We heard nothing more from her or otherwise about this situation until being contacted by a local television station, which subsequently broadcast a story that, from our perspective, did not accurately reflect the facts or the good faith actions of the First National Bank to resolve the situation.
Nearly all of the news stories that you may have seen – regardless of whether on television or the internet – appear to have been taken directly from the local television report. Other than CNN, no news media that has rebroadcast or reprinted this story has contacted us to get our side of the story or to verify the claims made on the local station. Nothing like this has ever happened to our bank before, and we have instituted additional internal controls to ensure that it will not happen again.
Anthony S. Thorne President & CEO
What this REALLY says:
We used a technology we really don't understand and it led us to the wrong house. It was the fault of the GPS. We then committed a FELONY by trespassing and stealing all the property in the house. I'm sorry we got caught.
My Sharona

Manchester, OH

#17 Jul 26, 2013
Quote from The Blaze

BUSINESS
GLENN BECK HAS POINTED MESSAGE FOR THE BANK THAT WRONGFULLY REPOSSESSED OHIO WOMAN’S BELONGINGS
Jul. 25, 2013 4:55pm

Glenn Beck Has Pointed Message for the Bank That Wrongfully Repossessed Ohio Woman’s Belongings
Katie Barnett (Credit: WBNS-TV)

An Ohio woman is dealing with a bad case of mistaken identity after a local bank broke into her home and repossessed her belongings, TheBlaze reported Wednesday.

Seems First National Bank in Wellston, Ohio, meant to foreclose on the house across the street from Katie Barnett’s. A GPS unit led bank employees to the wrong door.
Barnett’s house was cleared out. Some of her possessions were hauled away, some were trashed, and some were sold.

Law enforcement officials won’t help (they say it’s a closed case), and the bank won’t help.

Glenn Beck on Thursday was so shocked that a small-town bank would give someone like Barnett the runaround that he could barely contain himself.

“As every day that goes by, First National Bank in Wellston,” he said,“just know you’re sending a very clear message to all those who do business with your bank: you’re not a local bank!”

“The reason to do business with a local bank is because I actually see the people I’m dealing with face to face. And if you’re all dirt bags on the local level, why should I do business with you? If you can’t admit that you made a mistake and make this woman’s life right, there’s no reason to do business with this local bank.”

Beck continued:

In fact, I’ll tell you what…on Tuesday, find the other local banks, because I don’t want to tear [First National Bank in Wellston] apart as much as I want to promote a local bank that does business the right way…maybe on Tuesday we start doing commercials for free for all of the local banks in that area.

That certainly may get the message across:
John Q Public

Chillicothe, OH

#18 Jul 26, 2013
The story is exploding, it's on the Columbus Dispatch website today. I don't care if the woman just had one ratty recliner in the entire house. You don't break into someone's place and steal their stuff, change the locks, then make them come to you and plead their case in order to make it right. Thorne should have taken her out to the nicest restaurant in town and immediately handed her $18,000 in cash and profusely apologized for his robbery of her home.
Instead, he is on the attack and trying to make her sound like a liar and a bad person. Maybe there was only 2 dressers in the entire house, and the grass was high, door unlocked, utilities off, etc, but that still does not give yu the right to steal her stuff. And if she says she had $18,000 worth of items in there, she is giving you a bargain compared to how she could screw you with lawyers for all the pain and suffering, loss of wages, mental anguish, etc you seem to be putting her through.
Barnett taking advantage

United States

#19 Jul 26, 2013
John Q Public

Chillicothe, OH

#20 Jul 26, 2013
Barnett taking advantage wrote:
http://ig.libertyonline.net/Im ageGallery/Custom/cu1176/PDFs/ Announcement.pdf
If someone broke into my house, stole my stuff and changed the locks, I would put the screws to them as hard as possible. The fact that a bank did this, and is making HER do all the leg work to correct the situation, is horrendous.$18,000? If I was her, I would go for $180,000.

I'm guessing you are affiliated with the bank. There will be a huge public backlash once this hits the local papers. A majority of the population doesn't read topic and quit a few may miss the tv news broadcasts on the subject but once word of mouth spread, I predict accounts will be closing left and right.
SSDD

Tazewell, TN

#21 Jul 26, 2013
Barnett taking advantage wrote:
http://ig.libertyonline.net/Im ageGallery/Custom/cu1176/PDFs/ Announcement.pdf
Saying "I'm Sorry" and "It won't happen again" does NOT dismiss the Felony you committed. Every convict says I'm sorry, yet that does not keep them from prison.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vinton County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ramps Mar '16 hunter 1
The vi in zalesky (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mike 1
News Fireman's Old-Time Festival coming to Laurelville (Jul '12) Jul '15 who cares 15
steven searls jr. (Jun '15) Jun '15 just wondering 1
News Vinton County woman sentenced for sexually abus... (Oct '14) Oct '14 vinton co finest 1
True or not??? (Mar '13) Apr '14 Kelly 3
News Strong Effort for Clear Channel Good Sam Food D... (Jan '14) Jan '14 what890 3
More from around the web