Prosecutor: Teen plotted gay classmate's death

Aug 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Capital-Journal

A teen who gunned down a gay classmate in school should be convicted of murder because he rode a tidal wave of hatred and sought revenge after the victim offended him by simply saying, "What's up baby?," a prosecutor said Thursday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

From the article: "In her arguments that the slaying was premeditated, Fox said one student testified she overheard McInerney say he was going to shoot King four days before it occurred. She said McInerney believed most of the school didn't like King and killing him would make him a hero.

"He thought he was doing everyone a favor," she said."

From the APA: "Ideology assailants report that their crimes stem from their negative beliefs and attitudes about homosexuality that they perceive other people in the community share. They see themselves as enforcing social morals."

Hate crimes are not based on need, greed, opportunity, or emotional outburst, but are the result of hate for an entire group of people. Hate crimes therefore have the effect and usually the intent, of intimidating, terrorizing, and punishing an entire community, not just the direct victim. That makes them very different from crimes of need, greed, opportunity, and crimes of passion. Writing specific prohibitions into the law, clearly establishes community standards, and in doing so, helps remove the motivation and justification used by ideology assailants to harm others.

This is another tragic example that irrational prejudice causes needless suffering and death.
Sir Andrew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

I have nothing to add, NYE. You covered everything clearly and concisely. I think the prosecutor would have benefitted from having you on the team.

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Sir Andrew wrote:
I have nothing to add, NYE. You covered everything clearly and concisely. I think the prosecutor would have benefitted from having you on the team.
And if he is found guilty, what should the sentence be ?

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

fr Fred ABQ:

>And if he is found guilty, what should the sentence be ?<

A looooong stretch in prison, because he committed premeditated MURDER. Simple as that.

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Pattysboi wrote:
fr Fred ABQ:
>And if he is found guilty, what should the sentence be ?<
A looooong stretch in prison, because he committed premeditated MURDER. Simple as that.
I meant that since convicion is almost a certainty, and the Death Penalty is not applicable (although it should be), what length of time should he spend in prison ?

I suggest life in prison, with no chance or parole, in a cell measuring 4 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ventura County Discussions

Search the Ventura County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Company spotlight: Elliott's Classy Photo Booth... Feb '14 Sammy Spam 1
Ventura County prepares for tourism convention Jan '14 Nancy Cozza ARTIST 1
Fluke: Standing up for women's rights (Nov '12) Sep '13 Mekhi 2
Principal Admits to Changing Students' Grades (Sep '13) Sep '13 Another moral parent 2
Millions spent on water-storage plan that leaks (Aug '13) Aug '13 Reg 1
Timm Herdt: Condors caught in NRA crossfire (Aug '13) Aug '13 HuntForTruth 1
Family Session and Newborn Photography in Los A... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Herman Gickerman 1
•••
•••
•••
•••