Request made to make parks smoke-free

Request made to make parks smoke-free

There are 302 comments on the The Inter-Mountain story from Jul 5, 2012, titled Request made to make parks smoke-free. In it, The Inter-Mountain reports that:

Joyce Harris-Thacker, representing a number of Upshur County agencies, recently appeared before the Buckhannon City Council to discuss the Tobacco Free Zones program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Inter-Mountain.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Evilbreed

Ardsley, NY

#1 Jul 5, 2012
That would be so much bs. What happend to freedom it seems to me we now live in a communist country.
LongDuckDong

Elkview, WV

#3 Jul 5, 2012
Evilbreed wrote:
That would be so much bs. What happend to freedom it seems to me we now live in a communist country.
That would suck
Abe Carver

Williamson, WV

#4 Jul 5, 2012
Yes freedom is dead.The supreme court killed it.Join me and oppose the greatest assault on freedom ever the heathcare mandate.Do you hear our Founders voices calling?They have been awakened by this federal tyranny.Guns,smoking,forcing people to buy a product or service,it is all part of making America a total police state.No way in Hell am I buying insurance.
HEATHER

Salem, WV

#5 Jul 6, 2012
This is the dumbest thing yet
Tina

Salem, WV

#6 Jul 6, 2012
What ever happen to the freedom that our people has been fighting for,I have a son over seas I hate to think he is over there for nothing.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#7 Jul 6, 2012
Tina wrote:
What ever happen to the freedom that our people has been fighting for,I have a son over seas I hate to think he is over there for nothing.
So, your son is willing to get his ass blown off so you can bother everybody else with your smoke??????? Moreover, you are willing to see your son dead just so you can smoke around kids in a park??????
ash

Buckhannon, WV

#8 Jul 6, 2012
I think anyone should smoke in the park but respect other people who dont. Like kids, they should have an area for smokers. And I do not smoke guy ur a lil rude ur taking that way to far thats really messed up.
agreed

Kerens, WV

#9 Jul 6, 2012
Ash i like your thinking..why not a smoker area?
good gosh

Parkersburg, WV

#10 Jul 6, 2012
Hey there I do not smoke. I think Tina could have been talking about her son over there fighting for our freedom, not just so people could smoke around kids.You are a little bit heartless and cruel. Apparently you've not had a loved one go fight for our country. Oh, and I don't smoke either, but I am very grateful for those that are fighting for our freedom.
My Thoughts

Idamay, WV

#12 Jul 6, 2012
Hey, I've got an idea....since it's OUTSIDE....move away from them! This isn't California and I sure as hell don't want to be at all like them. If you set designated area for smokers it's called segregation! Also if this happens, I'm all for a ban of perfumes and deodorants....some people are allergic to them!!!!
Fer sure

Charleston, WV

#14 Jul 6, 2012
As I recall Joyce was also concerned with the amount of cigarette butts on the ground.

Does that mean we can no longer BBQ at the parks also? There are much more cancer agents in our air that tobacco smoke.
agreed

Kerens, WV

#15 Jul 6, 2012
Well a lot of smokers dont have the common courtesy to not smoke around kids or nonsmokers. Segregation? Thats a bit harsh for a 5 minute break...talk about selffishness. You think everyone around you wants to smell your smoke? Get real.

“Saving the World in my Pajamas”

Since: May 11

Planet XXX

#16 Jul 6, 2012
I do not think the smoking in public parks or litter is the problem....the problem is those inconsiderate smokers that have no regard for others near them.

For example....during the Strawberry Festival, I could not tell you the number of times I had smoke blown into my face while walking by another individual who was smoking. Last year, I got burnt by cigarettes (not once but twice) while walking past others who were smoking.

Yes, smokers do have a right to smoke outdoors, but being rude and inconsiderate may cost you those rights as well.
agreed

Kerens, WV

#17 Jul 6, 2012
Youre so right qzoid

Location hidden

#18 Jul 6, 2012
good gosh wrote:
Hey there I do not smoke. I think Tina could have been talking about her son over there fighting for our freedom, not just so people could smoke around kids.You are a little bit heartless and cruel. Apparently you've not had a loved one go fight for our country. Oh, and I don't smoke either, but I am very grateful for those that are fighting for our freedom.
I, as in ME, went over and blew away a whole bunch of yellow skinned people. Some of them tried to kill me, too. I am thankful for your gratitude. But, NO ONE, as in NO ONE, went over there just so some fkn addict could have a smoke wherever he or she damn well pleases. There is rule of law in this country. There is a way to make laws, including laws that PROTECT US, as in drunk driving is not only illegal, it is a FELONY. There are MANY places where you cannot legally drink, including parks and campgrounds. There is a judicial system in place to make sure the laws pass muster (are constitutional) and a system in place to replace the lawmakers who make laws that you do not like.

Go ask ANY soldier who has been in COMBAT and ask THEM if they fought for some ashholes freedom to smoke anywhere and everywhere. The answer will UNIVERSALLY be NO!!!!

Now, God help that woman's son if she thinks he is fighting so she can have a smoke. THAT ATTITUDE cheapens his whole service to his country. She needs to re-evaluate her priorities and see where smoking fits in compared to the life of her son.

Location hidden

#19 Jul 6, 2012
agreed wrote:
Ash i like your thinking..why not a smoker area?
There is one. It is called (are you ready for this?):

"OUTSIDE THE PARK"
My Thoughts

Fairmont, WV

#21 Jul 6, 2012
First off, I'm not a smoker!!! Secondly, this country is based on freedom and people are fighting for those freedoms! If we take our freedoms away then we have a government that has total control. They always start with the little things, and then it keeps getting bigger, and eventually out of control!!! Drinking and driving is no comparison to smoking in no way what so ever! That can kill you instantly, where being around smoke will not! You would have to be a smoker or be around it all of the time! If you choose to be around it and breath it then it's your own stupidity....I avoid smokers when I see them and it doesn't bother me in the least. The whole point is we don't need anymore control in this country! I can see a ban on the size of meals we can eat in the future.....just keep it up people....Stalin, and Hitler would be proud!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
HowzBoutDat

Clarksville, MD

#22 Jul 6, 2012
Moron wrote:
<quoted text>I have NO self control, because I are backwards and ignorant. I has zero class and should pull my thumb out of my butt so my brain could get some oxygen. I don't wash or brush my tooth either, a typical anti-smoker.
That would be you.
resident

Buckhannon, WV

#26 Jul 6, 2012
I'm a little confused....this forum is about banning smoking in the park...so does that mean that only nonsmoking families are welcome there? That is alot like segregation!!! It is an outside park people!!!!! Quit getting your pannies in a bunch!! I feel like if it is a public park...in Buckhannon...all families should be welcome...and if a parent smokes a cigarette...they will have the courtousy to move away from crowds to do it.....unless they are uneducated, rude scum..which if you cant tell by this website, the town is over run with. Don't punish us all because there are lots of ignorant people who live here (not just here, they are everywhere...I know) but proof is in the threads...alot live here. I vote no smoking ban!! I already can't smoke in a resteraunt or store...come on, its OUTSIDE!!!!
My Thoughts

Fairmont, WV

#27 Jul 6, 2012
Tina wrote:
<quoted text> Did Stalin and Hitler change meal size? Oh yea larger for them, nothing for those in death camps.
I don't know if they did....but everything they did was for their own benefit...which is what this country is coming too. It's always disguised as being for "your own good", when in the end it just helps them control us! I made the reference to food because some city, New York or L.A. are trying to limit the size of meals that restaurants can sell because of obesity!!! Also here in our own town...they are allowed to have live bands playing in the heart of the city....but you sure as hell can't do it in your back yard because it breaks the noise ordinance. I'm hoping someone with money and a good lawyer takes care of that though. The Joker(Jack Nicholson) said it best...."This Town Needs an Enema!"!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Upshur County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buckhannon Man Accused of Beating Blind Sister (Mar '11) Jun 16 Weston woman 216
News Three arrested on drug charges (Jul '14) Jun 12 snitch 9
News Woman arrested six years after warrant issued (Sep '06) May 30 April 3
cottrell May '17 Bucktown man 2
News Horse and Carriage Parade to hel... (May '13) May '17 hope 24
News New Info: Four Teens Dead, One Injured in Upshu... (Mar '08) May '17 Lmao 99
News Officials to reappraise property Apr '17 loser 1
More from around the web