Stalling's council limits mayor's role

A second Union County town in less than two months has taken steps to limit the power of its mayor. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BILL MULLINAX

Rural Hall, NC

#1 Jun 29, 2006
REPLACE THE COUNCIL.
Lisa

Locust, NC

#2 Jul 3, 2006
I agree Bill! This situation is making Stallings look like a stupid little hick town and its sad!
Lisa Renko

Waxhaw, NC

#3 Jul 7, 2006
Bill, I agree with two exceptions...Wyatt Dunn & Renee Hartis which have been the only ones to exhibit the voice of reason in this fiasco.
Stallings, NC
Howie Road

Charlotte, NC

#4 Sep 27, 2006
Why do we even have a mayor if the council rules?
Larry Breedlove

United States

#5 Oct 25, 2008
Because Howie Road, if the mayor had any say then this road would go as option 2 instead of 18A. Since 118A goes near the mayors new house. She should have no say or oppinion in this matter. She was ellected to serve the community, not herself. I also want to thank Barbara price, Thelma Privette and Al Grahm for seeing that option 18A is the only real option for the best interest of the Town of Stallings since it won't wipe out half the bussinesses in Stallings and it won"t mak our town so ugly for all those beach goers that come thrue our town.
anonymous

Charlotte, NC

#6 Oct 26, 2008
Mayor Paxton listened to the concerns of 2300+ citizens who voiced their opinions, attended numerous meetings, and signed petitions about the bypass in a logical and timely fashion over a long period of time.

To suggest that Mayor Paxton was only concerned for her own well being shows your own bias and self interest.

Obviously the Mayor is more interested in the long term impact of the bypass routes on the citizens of our town rather than on whether or not beach goers find our town 'ugly' under your own personal standards.

blah

Indian Trail, NC

#7 Oct 26, 2008
Poor little Lucy - will any of us be surprised to see her name on a ballot next year. Aahhhh, I'm so sad for her pathetic little life.
LET IT GO LUCY-FER

Since: Oct 08

United States

#8 Nov 4, 2008
anonymous wrote:
Mayor Paxton listened to the concerns of 2300+ citizens who voiced their opinions, attended numerous meetings, and signed petitions about the bypass in a logical and timely fashion over a long period of time.
To suggest that Mayor Paxton was only concerned for her own well being shows your own bias and self interest.
Obviously the Mayor is more interested in the long term impact of the bypass routes on the citizens of our town rather than on whether or not beach goers find our town 'ugly' under your own personal standards.
I moved to stallings because it was a beutiful little quiet town. With what Linda and the Turnpike people are trying to do with option two will ruin and probably bankrupt this town. I enjoy living in a quiet town without the uglyness of charlotte or the look of New york. Moyor Paxton and the Union county school board had full knowledge of the road plans and built this school anyway. That was their stupidity. why should the entire town of Stallings have to suffer because they and you are sooooo stupid to see what this is going to do to our small town. We will lose all businesses along Hwy. 74 and you can bet that none will come back because of the limited access and visibility. This will mean that Stalling will be for all intents and purposes, DEAD. With no business growth will come no community growth. Think about the big picture. I am thinking of the long term effects of this. Paxton is looking at the effects on her home and the acreage that her mother owns that is also in line to be effected. What would you rather have, a graffity wall in the middle of our small town or a beutiful, prosperouse town in witch our children can grow in????????
Stallings Resident

Charlotte, NC

#9 Nov 5, 2008
A reduction in tax base of less than $55,000 will not bankrupty our town. I did not move to Stallings for the 'picturesque' business along 74. Pleae let us know where the beautiful 'non ugly' businesses along 74 exist. I am pleased that I live in a town where the Mayor seems to truly care what large groups of citizens believe rather than select special interests.

The school board HAD to build a school in our area partly because of the irresponsible growth from our prior council and mayor.

Where does Mayor Paxton's mother own land in the bypass route? I checked union county GIS and could not find any. Please state your facts if you indeed have any.
big T

Clayton, NC

#10 Nov 5, 2008
I don't have a dog in the fight but I'm just curious..what businesses on US 74 are you talking about?
Larry Breedlove wrote:
<quoted text>
I moved to stallings because it was a beutiful little quiet town. With what Linda and the Turnpike people are trying to do with option two will ruin and probably bankrupt this town. I enjoy living in a quiet town without the uglyness of charlotte or the look of New york. Moyor Paxton and the Union county school board had full knowledge of the road plans and built this school anyway. That was their stupidity. why should the entire town of Stallings have to suffer because they and you are sooooo stupid to see what this is going to do to our small town. We will lose all businesses along Hwy. 74 and you can bet that none will come back because of the limited access and visibility. This will mean that Stalling will be for all intents and purposes, DEAD. With no business growth will come no community growth. Think about the big picture. I am thinking of the long term effects of this. Paxton is looking at the effects on her home and the acreage that her mother owns that is also in line to be effected. What would you rather have, a graffity wall in the middle of our small town or a beutiful, prosperouse town in witch our children can grow in????????
LMAO

Waxhaw, NC

#11 Nov 5, 2008
Stallings Resident wrote:
A reduction in tax base of less than $55,000 will not bankrupty our town. I did not move to Stallings for the 'picturesque' business along 74. Pleae let us know where the beautiful 'non ugly' businesses along 74 exist. I am pleased that I live in a town where the Mayor seems to truly care what large groups of citizens believe rather than select special interests.
The school board HAD to build a school in our area partly because of the irresponsible growth from our prior council and mayor.
Where does Mayor Paxton's mother own land in the bypass route? I checked union county GIS and could not find any. Please state your facts if you indeed have any.
The growth you are talking about is by the county commissioners,Stallings only approved 2housing projects,check an see for yourself.
Stallings Resident

Charlotte, NC

#12 Nov 5, 2008
LMAO - I believe I stated "The school board HAD to build a school in our area partly because of the irresponsible growth from our prior council and mayor." Note the word "partly".

Approval of denser conditions for the Fairhaven subdivision added even more housing to an already strained area. A fact the council was fully aware of before they voted. They could have easily voted for larger lot sizes and less homes for that particular subdivision that was within their control. Decisions of local towns should not be made in a vaccuum. Blaming the problems soley on the county ignores the constituents they were elected to serve.
LMAO

Waxhaw, NC

#13 Nov 5, 2008
Have you ever heard of a Grandfathered clause,that is what it would have fell under.The wheels were already in motion before this council touched it,its called bait an grab.
Stallings Resident

Charlotte, NC

#14 Nov 5, 2008
Grandfather clause ? Seriously? How exactly does such a clause apply to the above situation. Please explain. Your logic is difficult to understand.
Larrys neighbor

United States

#15 Nov 18, 2008
18A:
&#8594;I-485 starts
&#8594;Leaving Charlotte – stay on 74, make a decision
&#8594;Exit off ramp to go to bus. 74
&#8594;Toll road will be natural movement
&#8594;3 level bridge
&#8594;Complex interchange
&#8594;Human/natural/envir onmental impacts, cost, public input
&#8594;Natural flow of traffic
&#8594;School is not directly impacted by roadway

Details of 18A:
&#8594;Access to Forest Park/ businesses on 74 still there
&#8594;18A starts west side I-485, Matthews area coming out of Matthews, stay on 74 or go to Monroe/Businesses/make a decision&#8594; take the ramp to go around interchange, come back up, and tie into existing 74 / will be Business 74.
&#8594;Alternatives that have segment 18A will basically tie into existing 74 at Stallings Road
&#8594;All businesses along 74 there – McGee & east of them, Holiday Inn, Scott Clark Toyota, still have access – right in, right out, do and U-turn at Stallings light
&#8594;Main movement will take you to bypass
&#8594;5th leg to this interchange
&#8594;485/Stallings Road – have 2 partial interchanges
Stallings Road – go east bound only entrance/on ramp
Stallings Road – west bound only exit/off ramps
Larrys neighbor

United States

#16 Nov 18, 2008
2:
&#8594;Elevated roadway McGee/Stallings Road for about a mile
&#8594;20-25 feet, elevated, specific treatments to wall not determined yet
&#8594;Traffic flow coming from Monroe, 74 you’ll just sort of come to the outside of the road & join the in turnpike that way
&#8594;Headed to the turnpike from I-485, you’ll just go up the ramp.
&#8594;Tolls are collected electronically,(no toll booths)
&#8594;This is how access will be given to businesses – frontage roads &#8594; if access was preserved then businesses will utilize road.

Details of segment 2:
&#8594;starts of east of the ramps, will not do anything to I-485 interchange, will remain as it is
&#8594;CPCC Lane will be terminated at Hwy 74 for both segments
&#8594;Proposed McKee Road will take care of that across of McGee
&#8594;At county line / before McKee Road – the bypass will be on a bridge/going over McKee Road. At that point the frontage roads begin.
&#8594;McKee Road / Sherin Lane – 6(SIX) lanes (elevated, shoulders on both sides, concrete barrier in the middle) either side of elevated section will be frontage roads 3 lanes for eastbound and 3 lanes for westbound for a total of 12 lanes.
&#8594;Stallings Rd will be a tunnel, stop light can still access businesses, right in, right out do U-turn through Texas-U-Turn, no stop/just merge – will be exclusive lane.
&#8594;Elevated ramp across Stallings Road starts to curve north (up and left on the map). The frontage traffic (bus 74) roads bulge out to allow our bridge structures and to get people, to get people where they want to go through that area.
&#8594;To stay on business 74, you stay on the outside, get on a slip ramp, and it will tie into 74 at Indian Trail-Fairview Road, will look like it does today.
&#8594;As the lanes curve off Hwy 74 corridor, the lanes will taper down to 4 lanes, no frontage roads at this point.
&#8594;Just under a mile in length (elevated roadway) 20-27 feet tall/height
&#8594;finer details once alternative is selected – wall designs polishing it up make it prettier
&#8594;why we looked at the elevated roadway this time, was almost 1 year ago, footprint with frontage roads, the intent is to allow businesses to have access; free facility [] to adjacent property – instead of using toll roads.
&#8594;Catch 22 – put in the frontage roads, but wipe out the business when put the bypass at grade level.
&#8594;76 business relocations – had to be a better way/to improve in order to minimize footprint and save businesses as much as they could
&#8594;Allowed the frontage roads to be right next to the bypass eliminating buffers areas. Some buffer between wall and frontage will remain.
&#8594;Some encroachment, what we are looking at is, we think that a lot of these businesses will be able to remain & operate.
&#8594;Forest Park – controlled access, Forest Park entrance will be relocated.
&#8594;Cupped Oak will be extended south (down on the map) then west to merge/connect with Forest Park Drive and then go to Stallings Road
&#8594;Will be able to make a left onto Stallings Road, the distance is satisfactory that if a light is wanted at that location, then COULD BE installed, can not be 100% sure if will be there.
&#8594;Union West will use new Cupped Oak access road; see no reason why truck traffic should Forest Park roads.
&#8594;Can Oscar Robinson be extended over to Stinson-Hartis? Have several options to refine details if this segment is chosen.
&#8594;This is the 1st cut, designs will be refined.
Larrys neighbor

United States

#17 Nov 18, 2008
We all know that Union County is the “place to be” due to the incredible growth that we have experienced. Union County is the fastest growing county in the state, and one of the fastest in the whole country! This Bypass is going to affect the towns and immediately in its path along with the surrounding areas. This recommended route is so important not only to the Union County residents, but ALL of Union County.

Segment 2 goes against what is in the Market and Economic Development plan recommendation. On page 20, there are 8 competitive business/industrial parks that still have acreage that can be developed. 2 of the business parks will be affected by segment 2. Also,“with less than 28% of its competitive industrial/business park land remaining, it is essential that Union County identify new areas for employment growth.” It is estimated that the Monroe Bypass / Connector will encourage all types of non-residential growth (office, retail, business/industrial, etc). On page 5 of the Preliminary Land Use Plan recommendation, it states that non-residential growth helps pay for law enforcement, schools, and other services. While the residential growth patterns have been distorted, this non-residential growth uses less tax dollars than residential growth; therefore, making non-residential growth essential in balancing the surges of residential growth, and this would also assist in balancing the County’s fiscal position.

Page I-4 on the TA’s,“Revised Alternatives Development and Analysis Report,” a part of it reads,‘Businesses throughout the US 74 corridor provide a wide range of goods and services to local residents. Directly impacting or relocating businesses along US 74 would adversely impact not only the local residents, but the economy of Union County. The purpose of maintaining access to these properties would not be met if substantial numbers of these businesses are forced to close or relocate away from the this important commercial corridor.’
-Page 4-7,“Many of Union County’s businesses are located along existing US 74, the most economically important corridor in the County. Many of these businesses only have access to/from US 74. Many businesses also have parking between their structure and US 74. The conversion of the existing corridor to a freeway facility with frontage roads, while not impacting the structure in every case, may result in the acquisition of all parking, which in effect would require the closing of the business.”
-On Page 4-8, the different types of alternatives affected 14%, 9%, and 6% of the of ALL Union County’s businesses. Segment 2 would affect 3-4%. With the economy being what it is right now, and a lot of commercial development being placed “on hold” until later, can Union County really afford to lose 3-4% of the businesses when 18A would affect 5 (which one of those, McGee Corporation, plans to stay in Stallings and the County so that revenue would NOT be lost).?

But if option 2 is chosen, the McGee Corporation will not be sure where they would re-locate since the land that they had purchased over 10 years ago, would be affected by option 2. The ROW bulges out about 750-800 feet (where the bypass starts to turn northward) and that would prevent McGee from being able to operate their business. And no one can predict what the ROW or the reduced access will do to anyone or any of the businesses, but it is possible that it would reduce the market value and tax value which of course would result in lower tax revenue.
Toldya

Indian Trail, NC

#18 Nov 19, 2008
Wow - that's alot of information and thanks for the details.
What did the council do to further limit the mayor's duties?
I'm sure the voters in Stallings will be so glad when Nov. 2009 get here. Mayor OUT, old mayor, NO WAY she's getting back in.
Hey, how about Squires for Mayor? Either Eddie or Cubby?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAH
Larrys neighbor

Sun City Center, FL

#19 Nov 22, 2008
It appears that no matter what the council does to limit her role/duties, the fact is she does not think "the rules" apply to her. Her role is to represent what the council votes (no matter what her opinion is). So for example, the council re-voted their position on the support of 18A, opposition of 2. Therefore her comments at the MUMPO meeting where unnecessary and disrespectful to the Stallings Town Council.

AND ANYONE for MAYOR OF STALLINGS.... that is except MAYOR PAXTON!
Stallings Resident

Charlotte, NC

#20 Nov 23, 2008
Larry's Neighbor -

Silly me ...I thought that the Mayor's role was to represent the citizens that elected her.

Sure the Mayor is a spokesperson for the town but a Mayor is also first and foremost a representive of the people, not a puppet that other elected officials think they can control by revising or limiting ordinances without a say from the PEOPLE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC principal under investigation for allegedly ... (May '14) 1 hr Why Not 13
Dead Union man’s friends wonder: Why? (Apr '12) Nov '14 Hmmmm 29
Randy Travis' name no longer on 'Welcome to Mar... Oct '14 luvnut 31
Woman found dead in car in Marshville (Mar '14) Mar '14 luvnut 64
Joshua Houser shoul be skinned alive (Mar '14) Mar '14 Buck Irons 1
Marshville manager turns in her resignation (Dec '13) Feb '14 Mr Ed 66
Indian Trail mayor claims intimidation by Union... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Chris 1
More from around the web