Memorial Day will be school day in Union

Feb 18, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Charlotte.com

Remember Feb. 3 when it snowed and the kids in Union County got to skip a day of school? Well, it's going to cost them a holiday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Rozomom

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Making up a snow day by having school on Memorial Day is offensive to me, my children and my late husband. And the Union County board of education should be ashamed. I have no problem making up snow days but I do on that day. Memorial Day should never be treated as some sort of flexible day where they can or can't be school. It is a very important holiday. My husband died serving his country and Memorial Day is a day for our entire nation to reflect on the sacrifices of our soldiers and their families. It is one day a year that our country comes together to remind families like my own, that we have not been forgotten. A day for the United States to honor my husband's life. And although my children's absence on that day will be considered "excused" because they will spend the weekend in Washington DC attending a grief camp and visiting their father's grave in Arlington National Cemetery, I'm am still heartbroken, disappointed and offended that Union County will not honor my husband on Memorial Day. What message does this send to my children, two Union County students, of their father's service? And what message does this give to the children of these schools? That the deaths of our soldiers through the history of our country means nothing? I'm even left wondering if this county is even teaching our kids what Memorial Day means. My children know what the day means because they also paid a terrible price the day their loving father died. And they should hold their heads high with pride. Why is Union County making their loss worth less?
All union County parents should be outraged that of all days to schedule a make-up snow day, Memorial Day was chosen.
Colleen Evans
Proud US Amry Widow of
CW2 Mark W. Evans
Blackhawk 827
Rozomom

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Making up a snow day by having school on Memorial Day is offensive to me, my children and my late husband. And the Union County board of education should be ashamed. I have no problem making up snow days but I do on that day. Memorial Day should never be treated as some sort of flexible day where they can or can't be school. It is a very important holiday. My husband died serving his country and Memorial Day is a day for our entire nation to reflect on the sacrifices of our soldiers and their families. It is one day a year that our country comes together to remind families like my own, that we have not been forgotten. A day for the United States to honor my husband's life. And although my children's absence on that day will be considered "excused" because they will spend the weekend in Washington DC attending a grief camp and visiting their father's grave in Arlington National Cemetery, I'm am still heartbroken, disappointed and offended that Union County will not honor my husband on Memorial Day. What message does this send to my children, two Union County students, of their father's service? And what message does this give to the children of these schools? That the deaths of our soldiers through the history of our country means nothing? I'm even left wondering if this county is even teaching our kids what Memorial Day means. My children know what the day means because they paid a terrible price the day their loving father died. They should hold their heads high with pride. Why is Union County making their loss worth less?
All union County parents should be outraged that of all days to schedule a make-up snow day, Memorial Day was chosen.
Colleen Evans
Proud US Army Widow of
CW2 Mark W. Evans
Blackhawk 827
Citizen

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2009

I think all Union County parents should keep there kids out of school on memorial day just to protest this policy. Union County is so backwards it is pathetic.
Ann

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Judged:

Why don't they do this on a Saturday? It's that simple!!! They have enough Saturdays left to do this and like the other post, go half day. If I were the parents in this school I would be phoning the Board right now.
Robin

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

I agree...the days could easily be made up on a Saturday. I am puzzled as to why of all times in history we would choose to have children go to school on a very important holiday.
arlene butler

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Why make up one day? Some areas of the country have many snow days and they simply either go on Saturday or an extra hour each day for 7 days. HOW SIMPLE IS THAT?
arlene butler

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

WHY GO ON THIS IMPORTANT DAY. JUST GO AN EXTRA HOUR FOR 7 DAYS. THAT IS WHAT SOME AREAS OF THE COUNTRY DO THAT GET REAL SNOW. IN 7 DAYS THEY WOULD HAVE MADE UP THAT DAY.
I AM SURE THE CHILDREN WOULD LIKE THIS BETTER AND PROBABLY COULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THIS THEMSELVES. TOO SIMPLE. THE BOARD PROBABLY MET SEVERAL TIMES TO MAKE A MONUMENTAL DECISION LIKE THIS.
DURING THAT EXTRA OUR TEACH THE KIDS ABOUT OUR NATIONAL LPATRIOTIC HOLIDAYS.
Ann

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Yes, some states have days that are set aside for weather related missed days. They make up when they go beyond the amount (usually 5 days). So why doesn't your state use this formula? I agree with the post about going longer or making up a Saturday, I have never heard of this before using a holiday. Don't they have to make up the last day of their Spring break April 17 too? This will cut into vacation if going out of town. To come back one day of Spring Break then off two. Just go on Good Friday instead of April 17th.
Greater Dayton

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

The State of Ohio does have five snow days. However, we used all five, plus an additional days. Due to the recession, communities that used to have salt companies come to them with bids, had to go searching for salt this year. All the other salt companies in the region had either gone out of business due to the recession, retirement, or the Wind Storm of 2008, which was the final straw for a few companies and franchises. This limited the amount salt the company was able to deliver to the Greater Dayton Area, at least. I'm sure in more rural counties it was much worse.
Where I live, there is usually enough salt to last well into spring. We never get snow days, EVER. This past winter, we've used all five of our snow days and were force to do 2hr. delays for the others to prevent this very thing from happening. Two hour delays cancel morning kindergarten though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Union County Discussions

Search the Union County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC principal under investigation for allegedly ... Jun '14 Insider 10
Woman found dead in car in Marshville Mar '14 luvnut 64
Joshua Houser shoul be skinned alive Mar '14 Buck Irons 1
Marshville manager turns in her resignation (Dec '13) Feb '14 Mr Ed 66
Indian Trail mayor claims intimidation by Union... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Chris 1
Neighbors stunned after child found handcuffed ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Marshville Citizen 19 5
NC Social Worker Arrested After Child Cuffed To... (Nov '13) Nov '13 foster kids drugged 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••