Mexican rodeo plans kick up dust

Mexican rodeo plans kick up dust

There are 176 comments on the The Charlotte Observer story from May 14, 2007, titled Mexican rodeo plans kick up dust. In it, The Charlotte Observer reports that:

“I'm concerned he's looking for a loophole everywhere”

Thomas "Pinky" Marsh lives on his family's farm in eastern Union County and envisions permanently turning part of the land into a place called Plaza del Toros Rio Grande. via The Charlotte Observer

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Charlotte Observer.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Love it or leave it

AOL

#1 Jun 7, 2007
Greed of local merchants keep Latinos active ,and pouring into Union County. Lets keep the alcohol brewing for Latinos to keep our roads a nightmare to drive on to be encounterd by a drunken Mexican ,or one with no insurance libility. This Rodeo is just another way for a large drunken Latino fest at Union County taxpayers expense.
Sarah

Pfafftown, NC

#2 Jun 13, 2007
I live very close to this and it must admit, it makes me nervous. It doesn't matter what the race of participants may be. Six Thousand people in one place with limited regulation would make any neighbor nervous. The noise is unbelievable. I'm not sure why it has to be so loud, but I feel sorry for those who have moved into the country for piece and quiet. One may say, "Well, it's only a few times a month at the most", but this occurs on the weekends when most Americans have their only opportunity to relax. I'm sure that this will not be good for the land value around here, but hey....as long as we are inspiring the Latino community, right? Wrong. Pinky Marsh is all about making money, but he ought to buy acerage far away from others if he wishes to make this sort of money in this fashion. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a nuisance to all of us.
Sick and Tired of It

Mooresville, NC

#3 Jun 23, 2007
Union County has become a safe haven for illegal immigrants. As a life long, born & raised here, native, I am sick and tired of the influx of immigrants in this county. In 5 or 10 years, you won't even be able to recognize it. The Union County Commissioners need to address the "growth" problem from a different angle and Pinky Marsh needs to move to Mexico.
Tom Finley

Rural Hall, NC

#4 Jul 19, 2007
My name appears on this post? Wow. I live about 4 miles down the road from that Plaza de Rio Grand sign that the guy has had out on the road for months. I noticed a little while ago that somebody pushed the sign over--FINALLY. It wasn't me, but I sure wanted to. Pinky Marsh--you're a turncoat and I so dearly wish you'd drive down to my property and knock on my front door. I'd grab your arm, pull you in, and beat the living snot out of you.
Tom Finley

Rural Hall, NC

#5 Jul 19, 2007
Nevermind what I said about punching people out. I wasn't drunk because I don't get drunk. And I've never been in trouble with the law, and I'm not going to start. But darn it, doesn't SOMEBODY want to ENFORCE THE LAW? They're ILLEGAL, they are a TRAFFIC HAZARD. They are a CLEAR and PRESENT DANGER. And TURNCOATS like this Pinky Marsh creep are AIDING and ABETTING the illegal invaders. you sir, are a TURNCOAT. I'd tell you that to your face, if I knew who you were when I saw you somewhere. And your lawlessness is tearing your neighbors apart with anger. Imagine ME--getting on the internet and actually saying I would punch somebody. Can't you see, PINKY MARSH that you are even making good law-abiding people like me into an uncomfortable position. What a piece of slime.
Tom Finley-MARSHVILL E

Rural Hall, NC

#6 Jul 19, 2007
MARSHVILLE, NOT MATTHEWS
Marshville

Locust, NC

#7 Oct 22, 2007
Good for you Pinky!

Since: Oct 07

Charlotte, NC

#8 Oct 24, 2007
Marshville wrote:
Good for you Pinky!
Please elaborate how this is good, or why you applaud Pinky's effort. Do you ever drive on 485? Have ever encountered someone driving head on in the wrong direction? If you had, you might change you view on support ILLEGAL ALIENS.
concerned

AOL

#9 Nov 1, 2007
Is alcohol allowed at these events? If so I would be very afraid for any of my family to be near Landsford road after one of these events.
concerned

AOL

#10 Nov 1, 2007
This could work to the advantage of North Carolina if the police were to set up check points after the rodeos. It may cut the attendence of future rodeos in half after the illegals are sent back but it might solve the illegal alien problem we have now.
Sick and Tired of It

Mooresville, NC

#11 Nov 1, 2007
Good point concerned. I agree that we definitely have an illegal alien problem in Union County. I recently heard that Sheriff Cathey said the reason we do not have the 287g program is because the "local government" doesn't want to lose the "tax base". I think the local government should stand up against people like Pinky Marsh and owners of the Sweet Union Flea Market to discourage illegal immigrants coming to Union County.

I'm starting to feel like a minority in this town.
concerned

AOL

#12 Nov 2, 2007
I used to enjoy going to Sweet Union Flea Market but when the shooting and stabbings started I was afraid to go back. It used to be a place you could carry your children but that has been taken away from us now.
Concerned 2

AOL

#13 Nov 2, 2007
Pinky Marsh should be held accountable for his actions with this whole MESS! And thats what it is, Without a doubt! You have no respect for the Neighbors, The Law, Or Citizens of Union County! I agree there should be check points at every available exit from this Rodeo! I wonder what Mr. Pinkys feeling would be if he were to be creamed head on by one of his attendees with no Automobile Insurance? If he were laid up for the rest of his life with no way to make a living, No way to sue for damages to help you through the rest of your life? Thats what "IS" going to happen, Sooner or Later! Just wait and see, It's not a matter of IF, Its a matter of WHEN. And it would serve you right for putting the rest of Union County in that Position!
Worried

AOL

#14 Nov 22, 2007
The only thing Pinky Marsh is worried about is how to make more money. If it means using Mexicans, then he'll use them. He could care less about his neighbors or anyone else. He just cares about how he'll make his next dollar. That's pure greed at its worse!
Hillary Clinton

Winston Salem, NC

#15 May 4, 2008
is this not the land of the free you can do chose to be who you want to be ,you can start any leagle business you want, why the are you people so damn scard of a man who is trying to work with the half ass system we have intead of codemming why not discuse and address the issues you bring up and not not on these stupid forums but in public white the citizens and the law makers and as a community oh i'm sorry you would have get off your butt to attend instead of sitting on your ass and crying on these foums.but thats okay for when i'm your next president you will not be able to attend any public meetings withour your Real ID and the human chip so we can moniter where you are and know who you are with, however this is why we first have a national animal id so we can come and rain on any farm activities you want to hold on the new world order land thank-you and remember to vote for Hillary May 6 2008 So that i can contuin the NEW WORLD ORDER and take away what little freedom you now have or VOTE RON PAUL and put a stop to me but thats right to find out ron paul will take more effort from you
Amazed

Indian Trail, NC

#16 May 5, 2008
If you are going to kick out the mexicans,might as well do the same to the Yankees,only difference is the mexicans work for what they get,yankees wanted it handed to them. {LOOK AT OUR TAXES].
Marshville

Waxhaw, NC

#17 May 13, 2008
If Pinky wants to have a rodeo, more power to him. I live on the road and never noticed any problems when he did. It is his RIGHT to do what he wants on his family farm. Go for it Pinky!
Sick and Tired of It

Mooresville, NC

#18 Jun 26, 2008
Pinky Marsh in the local paper again...saying he is the school bully and will take other's lunch money. When is Union County going to get tough with this old goat and put his little rodeo out of business?

I can't believe Pinky's comments about how Union County is discriminating against a certain "race". I see no evidence whatsoever. Heck there's probably as many "hispanic" businesses in Monroe now as "non-hispanic".

And look at the graffitti - the city/county doesn't even clean it up.

I don't have any problem with LEGAL immigrants - it's the ILLEGAL immigrants that need to be made to leave the area.

Pinky's rodeo and the "flea market" are just more reasons that they want to hang out around here.

Anybody heard anything about the 287g program getting started in Union County? We sure do need it.

How about going to Monroe Police Department web site and checking out the "10 MOst Wanted". I don't think we need any more illegal immigrants around here. The mass already here is pretty scary.

I'm tired of Union County being a sanctuary place for illegal immigrants.
YAHOO at Marshville

Stanfield, NC

#19 Jul 12, 2008
Well Pinky Marsh is having another rodeo on July 20. Since Union County is so tough why don't you give him the citation he wants? Now he has called in The NAACP to help him out. Look out Jesse and Al will be visiting Marshville. Now that is going to be exciting The NAACP taking sides with illegal immigrants. If Pinky wants a rodeo why not have an American rodeo? Pinky I think your rodeo is a great idea but go about in the correct way. Pinky I did not know you liked Mexico that well. Well I guess if you can't move to Mexico , you will bring it here. Have at it Buddy because its sure bringing in the beer money to Marshville and a few hours of excitement when you have them. I bet your neighbors would hang you if they could catch you. You are a sly old devil, I will give you that much. Pinky, you could have your rodeos on Saturday and respect the Sabbath. Well Pinky ole Buddy, Shalati sure screwed Union County you may as well screw them too. You know its bad to get screwed and not even know it. Well that says so much for our County Commissioners. Adios Amingo
Bryan

Charlotte, NC

#20 Jan 1, 2009
ignorant
as you know if these people are illegal?
as you know, if they do not pay taxes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Union County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Peachland-Polkton Elementary teacher murdered (Mar '10) Oct '16 dellahna121 2
Union County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Rec... Oct '16 Aiden 2
b&b hvac Jul '16 BBHVACfrauds 1
News Union Co. man charged in nursing home sexual as... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Justmyopinion 3
State Senate District 35 Primary 2016 (Jan '16) Jan '16 SouthUnionGuy 1
News Deputies charge 2 in church break-ins (Jan '16) Jan '16 Mike Stegall 1
Why is Union County so lenient with DUI offende... (Sep '15) Sep '15 confusedandconcerned 1
More from around the web