Cody Baker wins appeal on 2007 Ruth L...

Cody Baker wins appeal on 2007 Ruth Lake crash

There are 84 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Oct 5, 2010, titled Cody Baker wins appeal on 2007 Ruth Lake crash. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

By this time next year, Cody Angus Baker may be out of prison and months into the next chapter of his life.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Domino 21

Palo Cedro, CA

#1 Oct 5, 2010
"Baker was speeding and under the influence on Aug. 31, 2007, when he lost control of the 1991 Honda Civic that was carrying him and five passengers "

Yep less than 5 mph over, but why quibble.

"and had an estimated blood-alcohol level was as high as 0.23 percent at the time of the crash. "
This sentence indicate that there is no solid BAC number, so go high. It works in the rest of the story. Its a plot point.

"It's a progressive county versus a back-woods county" It's also a different set of facts. All the people in the car that Baker drove were willing participants, and knew he was drunk when they got in the car with him. They were also impaired. Adenhart et al were just innocent victims.

I know that's harsh but it also the truth. Everyone in Baker's car was complicit in the crime. They all get a share of guilt. Under the rubric of "Don't blame the victim" many things are twisted, but the facts remain.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Oct 5, 2010
One fact that is overlooked here is that these people were also over served.I have lived in the area where the crash happened for 50 plus years and know the only few places up here where you can buy alcohol(only one bar)depends on seasonal income and unfortunatly money talks.also whats sad is the woman(bartender in question)knows she overserved them ,and knew at the time she overserved them cause she was partying with them at the time has no remorse.
HumboldtTrinity Injustice

San Francisco, CA

#4 Oct 5, 2010
What you people don't realize is that not the best and brightest attorneys live up in the backwoods of California.

Then the population elects who will be their judges. So you've got the not the brightest attorneys being elected by some of the not brightest people in the state.

When you put the pieces of the puzzle together you realize that Judge Anthony Edwards was doing the best he possibly could.

Oh and by the way,

What you people don't realize is that not the best and brightest attorneys live up in the backwoods of California.

Then the population elects who will be their judges. So you've got the not the brightest attorneys being elected by some of the not brightest people in the state.

When you put the pieces of the puzzle together you realize that Judge Anthony Edwards was doing the best he possibly could.

Oh and by the way,

Oh and by the way,

"and Gallo when he ran a red light and plowed into a car driven by Courtney Stewart, killing him, Adenhart and Henry Pearson"

Courtney Stewart was a young woman from Diamond Bar.

Times Standard, the dolts of journalism up on the North Coast

Oh and by the way, it's amazing the justice Baker gets. He gets less than five years when women can file restraining orders against their children, lie in court in front of judge (sic) Marilyn Miles, be proven blatantly to be lying, and then have judge (sic) Marilyn Miles give the woman a restraining order, but not on the basis of the woman's charges or testimony.

Why? Because if judge (sic) Marilyn Miles charged the father on the basis of the woman's charges and testimony the father would have a case of perjury against the woman.

The father can now expect to experience a "life sentence" because under the family law code of California, every five years, the woman can get the restrianing order renewed even if the man does absolutely nothing wrong.

The people of California have to take back their justice system.

People are murdering people while intoxicated and getting slapped on the wrist while fathers are getting shafted for being fatheres.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 5, 2010
Domino 21 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that is curious. Are you saying that the parents have not gone after the bar in civil court? Under CA law the bar can be held liable.
Lol, Felony DUI and Manslaughter were both reasonable charges in this case, I think. The murder charge was overcharging. Now had he had the car full of drunken friends and hit a third party, then a case can be made for a murder charge. Just my opinion.
It has never been brought up or the parents dont know but here in our little community its a subject that is known about.The person in question and those in that circle have been able to keep a lid on it but yes they were over served.
Hippycrits

Berkeley, CA

#8 Oct 5, 2010
Cliff Titus - "It's a progressive county versus a back-woods county"

Mr. Titus, sorry for your loss but I have to disagree with your statement. Orange county is a conservative county. Humboldt county is a liberal county. This isn't a case of progressive vs. back-woods. It's conservative vs. liberal. Conservatives belive people are responsible for their actions. Liberals belive people aren't responsible for their actions.
loleta-butterfly

Eureka, CA

#9 Oct 5, 2010
better think twice before drinking and driving and killing there friends because of stupidity
NATIVE

Madera, CA

#10 Oct 5, 2010
[QUOTE who=
Oh and by the way, it's amazing the justice Baker gets. He gets less than five years when women can file restraining orders against their children, lie in court in front of judge (sic) Marilyn Miles, be proven blatantly to be lying, and then have judge (sic) Marilyn Miles give the woman a restraining order, but not on the basis of the woman's charges or testimony.
Why? Because if judge (sic) Marilyn Miles charged the father on the basis of the woman's charges and testimony the father would have a case of perjury against the woman.
The father can now expect to experience a "life sentence" because under the family law code of California, every five years, the woman can get the restrianing order renewed even if the man does absolutely nothing wrong.
The people of California have to take back their justice system.
People are murdering people while intoxicated and getting slapped on the wrist while fathers are getting shafted for being fatheres.[/QUOTE]

How many YEARS have you been p*i*s*s*i*n*g and moaning about your so called mistreatment by Judge Miles? Geez...get over it and move on!
riverdude

Nulato, AK

#11 Oct 5, 2010
Hippycrits wrote:
Cliff Titus - "It's a progressive county versus a back-woods county"
Mr. Titus, sorry for your loss but I have to disagree with your statement. Orange county is a conservative county. Humboldt county is a liberal county. This isn't a case of progressive vs. back-woods. It's conservative vs. liberal. Conservatives belive people are responsible for their actions. Liberals belive people aren't responsible for their actions.
Hey Einstein, the crime and trial took place in Trinity County, which is, at last check, conservative.
Lois Wilson

Eureka, CA

#12 Oct 5, 2010
Al-Anon is a community of help and support
for those affected by someone else's drinking.
Alcoholism is a family disease.
Choose recovery.
http://www.ncwsa.org/district-01.html
mars

Eureka, CA

#14 Oct 5, 2010
saw2boy wrote:
One fact that is overlooked here is that these people were also over served.I have lived in the area where the crash happened for 50 plus years and know the only few places up here where you can buy alcohol(only one bar)depends on seasonal income and unfortunatly money talks.also whats sad is the woman(bartender in question)knows she overserved them ,and knew at the time she overserved them cause she was partying with them at the time has no remorse.
name her if you know her name. this may be the only justice shell serve...shame.
Anon

Lewisburg, WV

#15 Oct 5, 2010
If the dead were also impaired, their judgment of codys(the drive) condition is suspect...
Cinder

Redwood City, CA

#16 Oct 5, 2010
This is so unfair, he should not get out of prison early, he killed four people, he deserves to be in prison for the rest of his miserable life.
Impaired

Hayward, CA

#18 Oct 5, 2010
Domino 21 wrote:
"Baker was speeding and under the influence on Aug. 31, 2007, when he lost control of the 1991 Honda Civic that was carrying him and five passengers "
"and had an estimated blood-alcohol level was as high as 0.23 percent at the time of the crash. "
This sentence indicate that there is no solid BAC number, so go high. It works in the rest of the story. Its a plot point.
"It's a progressive county versus a back-woods county" It's also a different set of facts. All the people in the car that Baker drove were willing participants, and knew he was drunk when they got in the car with him. They were also impaired. Adenhart et al were just innocent victims.
I know that's harsh but it also the truth. Everyone in Baker's car was complicit in the crime. They all get a share of guilt. Under the rubric of "Don't blame the victim" many things are twisted, but the facts remain.
Hey, goofball drunk driving is a serious problem around here, don't try to downplay it.
Different circumstances

Eureka, CA

#19 Oct 5, 2010
As Domino 21 posted at the top, all in the Baker party were, well, partying WITH Baker. It's like they drew straws to see who would be "Designated" driver.
ferndalian

Fall River Mills, CA

#20 Oct 5, 2010
Don't worry he will want to go back to jail when he comes back to town.
He has no home anymore.
Middle of the road

Rancho Cordova, CA

#21 Oct 5, 2010
Domino 21 wrote:
All the people in the car that Baker drove were willing participants, and knew he was drunk when they got in the car with him. They were also impaired. Adenhart et al were just innocent victims.
You are correct. Those who were drunk and got into that vehicle with a drunk driver were essentially committing suicide.

Bar -tender should also carry an equal amount of responsibility.

Everyone involved should be responsible, driver, bar -tender and passengers.
Citizen

Arcata, CA

#22 Oct 5, 2010
Domino 21 wrote:
Wow Domi,
I agree with you.I was thinking the same thing about the difference between the 2 cases : County and victims? not to mention the circumstances of the accidents - single car vs 2 car ran Red light collision.
someone

Eureka, CA

#23 Oct 5, 2010
I am absolutely disgusted by the continuing blaming of the victims in this matter. Yes, they were impaired but no, they were not the ones who chose to drive that night. If any of them had been the one to drive, then it would be thier name in the headline on this story. The fact is despite thier impairment, NONE of the others chose to drive like Cody did. HE is the one who should have known better due to his past offense and issues with alcohol. The fact that he tried running from the police the last time he got busted for DUI just shows HE KNEW what he was doing was wrong!
wow

Fortuna, CA

#24 Oct 5, 2010
He's going be out and it seems like the crash just happened yesterday. That is scary!! Everyone in that car was known to party in excess and most were known to drive while intoxicated. The night they died, they took their lives in their own hands. With that being said. Cody also knew that he was driving while intoxicated. He willfully took the responsibility of driving and intentionally killed his friends. He deserves to pay for his crime and four years of his life in trade for the four people he killed is not adequate justice. I know Cody and the friends that he still has. I personally wont be able to talk, look at or even be in the same room as him for quite some time. Plus, if I ever see or hear of him drinking and driving, or even just drinking. I'll not be kind in my next run in with him. Cody, if you are reading this. Walk the line or people are going to crucify your a,s,s.
wow

Fortuna, CA

#25 Oct 5, 2010
unintentionally

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trinity County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trinity County Woman Arrested For Murder; Body ... (Aug '12) Jun 24 Robyn Shelley Amore 4
News USGS Erroneously Reports 5.1-M Quake Near Redding May '15 Sam 1
News Homicide Investigation Leads to Body Found in B... (Sep '12) Jan '14 Antoinette 7
News Northern California wildfires grow, 23 homes in... (Sep '12) Sep '12 sarah 4
News $10 million claim filed against Trinity County ... (Sep '11) Jan '12 TIME 6
News In Trinity County, a mountain of pot plagues co... (Nov '10) Nov '11 meakahorse 2
News Work on fiber optic line underway, additional g... (Aug '11) Nov '11 Shasta County Res... 2
More from around the web