Suicide rate a record many hope won't...

Suicide rate a record many hope won't be broken

There are 36 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Nov 14, 2008, titled Suicide rate a record many hope won't be broken. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

If current trends continue, 2008 may approach a very painful record for Humboldt County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ZMan

Alameda, CA

#2 Nov 14, 2008
If they want to die, let them die. Don't make someone suffer.
Fire Watch

Mckinleyville, CA

#3 Nov 14, 2008
HERE WE GO AGAIN

Let's do it as usual folks, give the suicidal some Mary Jo, let them get real weird then when they explode call the Fire Dept. and the Police. When that doesn't work out we can have a media frenzied "Who Done It' and blame someone for the whole thing.

And where is the Mental Health Dept ? Behind the drug dealers house ?
Thanks for Nothing.
Observer

Mckinleyville, CA

#4 Nov 14, 2008
Thanks ZMan, for giving us an example of pure uncaring & unfeeling towards people in trouble.

Many people are in a temporary hard point in their lives & feel there is no other way out. They just need help & they could then go on to live normal lives. The last thing we should do is to make it easier for them to take the easy way out.
Lois Wilson

Arcata, CA

#5 Nov 14, 2008
10th Annual National Survivors of Suicide Day is Saturday November 22nd.

My loving support and prayers go out to these families.
Few realize suicide is more common than murder.
The aftermath of a loved one's suicide is a special
devastation for any family to endure.
Please attend a support group.
Others who have walked that path can be of help.

Support After Suicide (S.A.S.) meets the
3rd Monday of every month at 7 PM
at the Adorni Center
1011 Waterfront Drive
in Eureka, CA

http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm...
Alaakbar

United States

#6 Nov 14, 2008
Suicide when you are 85 and facing a grim prognosis is not a "grim statistic," it is a personal right.
kerry

United States

#7 Nov 14, 2008
A sign of suicide can also be when someone has gone through something rough and than begins to calm and be happy. That is because they have finally made the decsion and they are wrapping up loose strings before they kill themselves. Like giving away items. etc.
JimmyJoBob

Palo Alto, CA

#8 Nov 14, 2008
Em... what about the political persuasion of the suicidee? I'd bet Democrat. They are a depressed lot.
George

Arcata, CA

#9 Nov 14, 2008
"Calm and happy." - yes, outwardly. Some of the tragic psychology of all this is very well captured in "The Iceman Cometh," where Hickey makes a periodic return to his favorite bar and seems calm and composed compared to his past wildness. He's even given up drinking. But underneath he has a terrible secret - he's killed his wife. The psychology is similar with those who have resolved to kill themselves. If you think these issues are comic, please see any version of the movie and report back.
Greg Davey

Alameda, CA

#10 Nov 14, 2008
We're all going to die anyways, so what.
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#11 Nov 14, 2008
Greg Davey wrote:
We're all going to die anyways, so what.
So what?
You are right.
We are all going to die anyway.
All life is futile.
There is no reason for any of us to be here.
There is no way out of feeling hopeless. There is no way out of pain. There is no way out of not having enough money. There is no way out of the voices in your head that keep telling you there is no way out.
And there is no reason to keep putting yourself through any of it anymore when you are just going to die anyway.

How can some of you be so callous? And frankly, repugnant?
People can use some love and encouragement, not someone saying "Hey...what the hell, gotta go sometime anyway."

Life is to be treasured and some lose sight of that. For various reasons.
They don't need someone like you convincing them that they may as well just check out.
brkn

Albany, CA

#12 Nov 14, 2008
i may be 33
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#13 Nov 14, 2008
brkn wrote:
i may be 33
What does that mean?
Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#14 Nov 14, 2008
I'm actually not surprised by our suicide numbers. We are a rural area that's almost always economically depressed. Combine that with the lack of sunshine, the availability of street drugs and the lack of quality care (especially for the elderly) and you've got a wonderful recipe for a shorter life span.
Humboldt

Inglewood, CA

#15 Nov 14, 2008
Alot of LGBTQ people commit suicide.

Even more in communities of Faith.

Look at the Mormons. I know of some Young Mormon Men who are Gay and they committed suicide over their churches involvement in same sex marriage politics here in California.
Humboldt

Inglewood, CA

#16 Nov 14, 2008
When will the conservative movement wake up and realize it is ok, normal, natural and healthy to be LGBT. When will our Brother and Sisters be able to stop taking their lifes or have them taken from them.
Kitty

Buena Park, CA

#17 Nov 14, 2008
For us being a society that strives for equality, we sure as heck love to single out ethnic groups and 'alternative' lifestyle groups. Oh wait...it's those groups that single themselves out! I wonder how everyone would feel if a group of all white, straight individuals started an org. called "FSCA".....Foundatio n for Straight Caucasian Americans and we made great strides to wipe out the suicide rate among only OUR ppl. Yah, sounds silly, doesn't it........
Mack Villian

United States

#18 Nov 14, 2008
Kitty wrote:
For us being a society that strives for equality, we sure as heck love to single out ethnic groups and 'alternative' lifestyle groups. Oh wait...it's those groups that single themselves out! I wonder how everyone would feel if a group of all white, straight individuals started an org. called "FSCA".....Foundatio n for Straight Caucasian Americans and we made great strides to wipe out the suicide rate among only OUR ppl. Yah, sounds silly, doesn't it........
Uh duh, because those groups arent represented and want rights. Ever heard of the NAACP? Oh wait, maybe they just single themselves out! Without them blacks probably wouldve gotten rights quicker right?
PDelidinger

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Nov 14, 2008
Ok, so help me out here... is this article suppose to help stop people from committing suicide OR is Jessie Faulkner egging someone on TO commit suicide? I dont understand why making this statistic public how it helps. Why cant we just pay attention to the people around us and do something when they need our help instead of frickin talking about it like it doesn't effect us.(huh, effect or affect? I always mess that one up)

Mind your surroundings, Love unconditionally, Know your enemy.
anomaly

Amity, OR

#20 Nov 14, 2008
The non-existant "Rule Of Law" and lack of integrity of people in rural Humboldt is probably a big factor contributing to suicide rates. What's the value of life when you reside around a bunch of lying, cheating, shitbirds and conmen that will steal anything that's not chained down?
PDelidinger

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Nov 14, 2008
Wow... helpful Anna Molly... really... that was. *rollseyes*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trinity County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trinity County Woman Arrested For Murder; Body ... (Aug '12) Aug '15 Meaka 5
News USGS Erroneously Reports 5.1-M Quake Near Redding (May '15) May '15 Sam 1
News Homicide Investigation Leads to Body Found in B... (Sep '12) Jan '14 Antoinette 7
News Northern California wildfires grow, 23 homes in... (Sep '12) Sep '12 sarah 4
News $10 million claim filed against Trinity County ... (Sep '11) Jan '12 TIME 6
News In Trinity County, a mountain of pot plagues co... (Nov '10) Nov '11 meakahorse 2
News Work on fiber optic line underway, additional g... (Aug '11) Nov '11 Shasta County Res... 2
More from around the web