Humboldt County gets a “Câ€ï...

Humboldt County gets a “C� for health, safety

There are 12 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Nov 3, 2008, titled Humboldt County gets a “C� for health, safety. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

The Oakland-based Children Now gave Humboldt County and 43 other counties a "C" for environments that help children be healthy, safe and ready to learn.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Masked Patriot

Arcata, CA

#1 Nov 3, 2008
With the pulp mill going to be torn down, maybe the worthless government schools might teach basic MATH to the future welfare rolls.

as for this quote:”With the budget cuts, it's a challenge for all of us,” Lahaie said.

someone needs a real job the marketplace needs and to stop trying to force government programs and their payment on us. taxation is slavery, and government does nothing worth anything- they can't even teach math to brats.

Government OUT of USA! Go Back To England!
anonymous

Eureka, CA

#2 Nov 3, 2008
You dont' pay enough taxes to change a street lamp bulb.Remember?
JimF

San Francisco, CA

#3 Nov 3, 2008
Perhaps I will start a thread on this-
BUT
Ever since the pulp mill ceased- my wife, and 3 people I have spoken with say they are no longer getting headaches,and/or allergy attacks, and all four say they just 'feel better'.

I never had an issue one way or the other with the mill, but am wondering if other people in Eureka
feel healthier since it has been stopped?

Myself? I realized that I was just used to 3 or 4 headaches a week- I havent had ONE in 2 weeks now.

Just curious.
Mike

San Ramon, CA

#4 Nov 3, 2008
The Oakland-based Children Now... what a bunch of hog wash!

I'd love to see what they rated there own backyard! Have to clear the way of all the dead bodies leading to the front door.

One hundred and ten (110) homicides, so far this year.

May we have a B-I-G thank you to taxpayers for all the cash to make this (C) possible!
LeslieR

San Francisco, CA

#5 Nov 3, 2008
Well gee Mike- Better Dam* them for where they happen to be located!

I guess they had better move to someplace with all 'A's rating?

You are seriously screwed up angry person, arent you?
domino 21

United States

#6 Nov 3, 2008
Since the vast majority of these things are the responsibility of the Parents and not the county, shouldn't the parents have gotten the "C"? Actually, after rereading the list not a single one of those items is the responsibility of the People of HumCo.
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#7 Nov 3, 2008
The study does make one good point. There are a lot of people out there that should not have babies.

Having children means you must make sacrifices & put those kids the number one priority in life. But that isn't happening.

Too many say "we need second incomes just to afford to live". Really ? Or is it just to have a new car every few years, a bigger house & a big screen TV instead ?
domino 21

United States

#8 Nov 3, 2008
Jeff, you forgot cable/sattelite programming and cell phones. If you do not set yourself up for success and then fall short, that is your fault not societies.
Indian Food Lover

Eureka, CA

#9 Nov 3, 2008
"Humboldt County gets a â€C†for health, safety" ... Times-Standard and Topix get a 'F' for handling punctuation in headlines correctly?
No Vote For The One

San Martin, CA

#10 Nov 3, 2008
Don't worry, like the brainwashed moron said the other day, once the Messiah is president, we won't have to worry about putting gas in the car, or paying the rent, and all our problems will be solved. Except for those of us that will be expected to pay for it.
unanonymous

United States

#11 Nov 4, 2008
the self-labeled progressives call for carbon taxes and bike paths but are silent on the issues that affect real people. That's why they're not real liberals. they have no compassion.
anon

United States

#12 Nov 6, 2008
hmmm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trinity County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trinity County Woman Arrested For Murder; Body ... (Aug '12) Aug '15 Meaka 5
News USGS Erroneously Reports 5.1-M Quake Near Redding (May '15) May '15 Sam 1
News Homicide Investigation Leads to Body Found in B... (Sep '12) Jan '14 Antoinette 7
News Northern California wildfires grow, 23 homes in... (Sep '12) Sep '12 sarah 4
News $10 million claim filed against Trinity County ... (Sep '11) Jan '12 TIME 6
News In Trinity County, a mountain of pot plagues co... (Nov '10) Nov '11 meakahorse 2
News Work on fiber optic line underway, additional g... (Aug '11) Nov '11 Shasta County Res... 2
More from around the web