Transylvania County sheriff enters th...

Transylvania County sheriff enters the race

There are 8 comments on the HendersonvilleNews.com story from Jan 12, 2010, titled Transylvania County sheriff enters the race. In it, HendersonvilleNews.com reports that:

Transylvania County Sheriff David Mahoney on Monday announced his intention to seek re-election this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HendersonvilleNews.com.

William Daviau

AOL

#1 Jan 14, 2010
I would hope that the people of Transylvania County will find another candidate to support for sheriff in place of David Mahoney. Information about this candidate at: http://placesonmymind.blogspot.com/2009/12/br...
Amanda

Brevard, NC

#2 Mar 3, 2010
I just went a read your article and wanted to comment! First of all if you don't like being in a small town then why did you choose Brevard, NC, it is small, has always been small, and WILL always be small! Also in defense for Sheriff David Mahoney, if the sheriff race is going to be partisan then he has the right to post up who and what he supports! If it were a non-partisan race then I could see where that concerns you! Last but not least I just want to let you know that obviously law enforcement in a small town like Brevard, NC is going to be very different than those in larger places! Even places that are exactly the same size the law enforcement needs to be different to meet the needs of that location!
Rooftop

Brevard, NC

#3 Jun 16, 2010
Mahoney has been nothing more than a liberal spender and a complete idiot the last couple years. I voted for him last time but never again. If i see one more parking lot full of sheriff cars doing nothing other than attempting to intimidate the people of the county, somebodies gonna wind up in a pine box. Did you here about the 11000 dollar lawnmower he bought with taxpayer money? Unaceptable. Hes done. Im voting for Hubert Brown or hopefully a third party candidate, if one surfaces.
Amanda wrote:
I just went a read your article and wanted to comment! First of all if you don't like being in a small town then why did you choose Brevard, NC, it is small, has always been small, and WILL always be small! Also in defense for Sheriff David Mahoney, if the sheriff race is going to be partisan then he has the right to post up who and what he supports! If it were a non-partisan race then I could see where that concerns you! Last but not least I just want to let you know that obviously law enforcement in a small town like Brevard, NC is going to be very different than those in larger places! Even places that are exactly the same size the law enforcement needs to be different to meet the needs of that location!
Lifelong Resident

Brevard, NC

#4 Jun 24, 2010
Apparently you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Mahoney didn't buy a $11,000 lawn mower, county maintenance did. After buying it, they had problems with it and got their money back. The bank that it was going to be used on is now mowed by inmates thanks to Sheriff Mahoney. Also, how do cars sitting in a parking lot intimidate people? Why do you feel compelled to threaten people as well? You might want to check Brown's background before you jump on his bandwagon.
Airborne

Brevard, NC

#5 Jul 20, 2010
Mahoney's got my vote! As an independent voter I have no pans to ever vote for another democrat. The unborn child needs our protection.

Also the the Nation may be doomed. The current National Debt would require payments of 320 billion dollars per year for 100 years to amortize. If we wait until 2012 to balance the budget and start payment those payments will rise to 380 billion per year. If we wait until 2020, it's too late the interest payment alone would be 900 billion dollars per year.

Yes, I'll keep guns and you can keep the change!
transylvania voter

Brevard, NC

#6 Oct 9, 2010
Sheriff David Mahoney has my vote for re-election.
Sheriff Mahoney has the experience, training, education, and compassion to be the Sheriff for all the people. I agree with Lifelong Resident that voters ought to check Hubert Browns background before voting for him. I became acquainted with Brown in the late 60's and can tell you I wouldn't vote for him for anything.
Lifelong TC now

Brevard, NC

#7 Oct 23, 2010
The military brought us here in '92 & we're staying. We pay NC Income taxes, sales taxes, user taxes; TC property taxes (on 3 houses in Brevard and a mountain top tract in a gated community). We support the Brevard Music Center, the Library, Heart of Brevard, and local businesses with our money and/or volunteer hours. & We own homes in San Diego and east Tennessee.
And I've lived all over the U.S.(TN, SC, CA, AK, MA, DC, KY, IL, MI,TX) and in various foreign countries (England, Greece, Germany, Japan). Big Cities, Military bases and small towns.
But this is our home and will be as long as possible.
(1) If you don't live here on a permanent basis and pay taxes that support this community - shut up.(And property taxes alone don't do it. Pay taxes on your income like we do.)
(2) If you don't live here on a permanent basis and don't like the way anything works here - shut up. Go live somewhere you like better.
(3) If you don't live and vote here - shut up. We don't really care how they do it somewhere else unless they have exactly they same type population and problems that we do.
(4) I'm suspect of anyone who says something like, I got to know the Sheriff while I was in the Sheriff's office after I was arrested. Never been arrested. Got plenty of family who have been. Got plenty of family who have never been. Got some family who have worked for other Sheriffs in other places.
I got to know the Sheriff during our year in the Vision project, before he was sheriff. I got to know several of the deputies (some who liked him, some who didn't - for good reasons) by working with them. I don't vote along party lines and I don't necessarily vote for TC born & bred.
But I will support David Mahoney as long as he wants to be Sheriff - until I see him do something wrong.
Or until I notice that drugs and gang problems are increasing faster here than elsewhere.
By the way - all you big-mouthed, part-time residents - I personally believe that a large part of our policing expense is directly attributed to you and should be borne by you. If you're arrested or ticketed in our community, you should pay a premium on your fines. When your teenager sets a fire or gets arrested/ticketed - the premium should be even larger. If you or your family or guests gets caught with drugs - even larger premium. Your property taxes should be higher because your home sits relatively unprotected for long periods of time.
Remember - most of us only want you here for your money, not your advice.
Loretta

United States

#8 Oct 23, 2010
If you are from Brevard you are pr4obably a member of the Owens family, the McCall,or Galloway...You are so used to corruption and wrong doings you would not recognize corruption....How does the sheriff department gain 70,000 dollars a year from inmates on canteen..You think they are not feeding inmates enough?

Maybe a 1000 calorie diet?

Ok why should we care?

Politics as usual
There is no hope for that sick town...

Run by low rent people and always will be!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transylvania County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Steep Canyon Rangers headline Brevard fest (Sep '11) Sep '11 Mouse-Mickey 1
News Two cases of La Crosse encephalitis in WNC (Jul '08) Jul '11 Gabriela Mendez 12
News Tornado warning issued for parts of WNC (May '09) Apr '11 ray 62
News Murder suspect at large; victim identified in R... (Apr '11) Apr '11 babymama 2
News Asheville firefighter resigns following arrest (Jun '10) Aug '10 Dodged a bullet 4
News Advisory still in effect (Feb '10) Feb '10 Frustrated 1
News Dad charged with murder of toddler (Nov '09) Nov '09 Melisa 1
More from around the web