Deputy charged in Towns County shooting kills himself

There are 15 comments on the Athens Banner-Herald story from Aug 9, 2007, titled Deputy charged in Towns County shooting kills himself. In it, Athens Banner-Herald reports that:

Authorities say a Towns County deputy charged along with a co-worker and the sheriff in connection with a drive-by shooting is dead. via Athens Banner-Herald

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Athens Banner-Herald.

cityboy

United States

#1 Aug 10, 2007
dopeman i have figured out who u are
Dead in the water

Wilmington, NC

#2 Aug 31, 2007
cityboy wrote:
dopeman i have figured out who u are
This is the type of comments that have derailed the forward progress that was the intent of these discussions.

We need to keep our minds and spirits focused on the future of the county, not "i know who you are"

It is my most sincere hope that we can get it all squared away for the election, as it is less than 90 days away. They will go fast.

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#3 Oct 28, 2007
this should never have happened. it didnt have to.
carrottop

Gray, GA

#4 Oct 28, 2007
re-Rooster wrote:
this should never have happened. it didnt have to.
We may not agree on candidates but we do agree on this issue.

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#5 Oct 28, 2007
They should not have been bonded out.

Barrett can keep an innocent person in jail for seven months without a bond on a single trumped up minor misdemeanor charge without any evidence. He could have remanded these people into custody until trial.
hiawasseen

Gray, GA

#6 Oct 29, 2007
re-Rooster wrote:
They should not have been bonded out.
Barrett can keep an innocent person in jail for seven months without a bond on a single trumped up minor misdemeanor charge without any evidence. He could have remanded these people into custody until trial.
Tell more. How could someone stay in jail seven months without bond? Are you serious about that? Why didn't Garrett set bond within 72 hours as required by law? Was this in Towns County? I'm interested because I have an issue with Garrett involving my own family member that will be shared before next years election.
Phorensix

United States

#7 Oct 29, 2007
re-Rooster wrote:
They should not have been bonded out.
Barrett can keep an innocent person in jail for seven months without a bond on a single trumped up minor misdemeanor charge without any evidence. He could have remanded these people into custody until trial.
It originated in Union County.
letstalk

Gray, GA

#8 Oct 29, 2007
Phorensix wrote:
<quoted text>
It originated in Union County.
How did this happen? Isn't bond required by law to be set within 72 hours of an arrest? It's been a while since I've had a Political Science class but weren't things like this outlawed many years ago? Did the person arrested have a court appointed attorney, or their own hired attorney?
Phorensix

United States

#9 Nov 9, 2007
To answer your question, in this case ( a false misdemeanor charge which was dropped anyway) Barrett held this person for 7 months without a bond.

This person was also denied a court appointed attorney.

He was however presented with two quit-claim deeds and told that he would stay behind bars until he agreed to sign them.
just call me stupid

Hudson, OH

#10 Nov 10, 2007
for several months my husband and i sent money to pat robertsons ministry. now i hear today on the news that he is backing guiliani who approves of abortion. has he lost his mind? his whole christian show has been based on ethics that calls abortion murder. i dont get it. if someone feels the need for abortion so be it. its not the issue the issue is that pat robertson has flipped, totally on what has made him famous. i want my money back.

Since: Sep 07

Kalamazoo, MI

#11 Nov 10, 2007
just call me stupid wrote:
for several months my husband and i sent money to pat robertsons ministry. now i hear today on the news that he is backing guiliani who approves of abortion. has he lost his mind? his whole christian show has been based on ethics that calls abortion murder. i dont get it. if someone feels the need for abortion so be it. its not the issue the issue is that pat robertson has flipped, totally on what has made him famous. i want my money back.
It's not that I disagree with you (I was shocked hearing this news as well), but I think it was probably better to have started another thread on here.
just call me stupid

Hudson, OH

#12 Nov 12, 2007
dear old timer, i got bored with the local politics and just decided to jump the track. reading the same old thing gets boring. o.k. lets stick to towns county topix.

Since: Sep 07

Kalamazoo, MI

#13 Nov 12, 2007
Please don't misunderstand me, just call me stupid. It's not that I don't think you should be discussing this, but I just think you should have started a new thread in the Hiawassee/Towns County Topix area, rather than piggy backing off of a thread about one of the deputies taking his own life. That was all.

The world is bigger than TC. I'm just happy to see that you are paying attention to it!
mack bolan

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Oct 14, 2010
whats the new judge doing?
what makes you happy

Atlanta, GA

#16 Aug 22, 2011
wheres sunshine from hayesville i love you and want to smell you all over even the dirty parts the dark moist harry parts all over

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Towns County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paving & sealcoating Apr 21 Taken5 2
News USGS reports 2.3 magnitude earthquake near Hiaw... Mar '15 quarry 1
News Drug search in Hiawassee leads to two arrests Feb '15 duct tape charlie 5
The Ridges Lodge/Oaks restaurant (Oct '14) Oct '14 Lilmo 1
News Despite rumors, Towns County Sheriff not resigning (Jul '07) Oct '14 KENDALL 116
News Vogel announces campaign bicycle tour of 9th Di... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Bubba 1
Hughes Net (Mar '14) Mar '14 Donna 1
More from around the web