Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Cha...

Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Charges

There are 40 comments on the WSAV story from Sep 21, 2011, titled Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Charges. In it, WSAV reports that:

Ricky Newsome , with Toombs County Sheriff Alvie Lee Kight, Jr., and Captain Bobby Ray Smith , as he was lead into court Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WSAV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
maria

Lutz, FL

#1 Sep 21, 2011
Wow! So he is not a role model. He probably was buying from the ones he
arrested all this time. Isn't that nice.
lets see how much time he serves?
Proud

Perry, GA

#2 Sep 25, 2011
WOW, you know you really should not open your mouth unless youu know what you are talking about Ricky Newsome is a great man and a great role model and what put him in this situation happened because he was doing what he has always done and that is try to help someone else so unless you know all the facts you should keep your damn mouth shut!!!
Fed Up inVidalia

Fort Stewart, GA

#3 Sep 25, 2011
I find this situation with the police chief to be a disgrace for our community. If you cant trust the law who can you trust?? Mr. Newsome may have been "trying to help someone" but that is not what he was hired to do. If he breaks the law he should pay just like everyone else. I am not attacking his character, but come on. How can ANYONE justify his actions in this case? He was selling drugs!! He may be a great "role model" to some, however, in my opinion he is far from it. We need people who are in law enforcement to protect the citizens. Seems to be a growing problem among numerous agencies. I hope his arrest serves as a warning to those other members of law enforcement agencies who are involved in criminal activity. NO ONE is above the law!!
proud

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 27, 2011
you are right no one is above the law however, you should get your facts straight before you start talking he was NOT selling drugs...he is paying the price for it and he was man enough to tell the truth and not try and hide anything. There are many law enforcement that need to be arrested too.. you can start from the top of the list or the bottom either way the majority are crooked...they are dragging him through the mud however you didnt hear about the jail captain being asked to resign from his position for bringing drugs into the jail he was not arrested he is walking free with nothing on him. Not saying that anyone who breaks the law should go free...but they do not have to drag Mr. Newsome through the mud to make their point, he has a family too.

Since: Sep 11

United States

#5 Sep 27, 2011
I have not met a Newsome that was worth a damn
Fed Up inVidalia

Allenhurst, GA

#6 Sep 27, 2011
I agree that there are SEVERAL in the local law enforcement that needs to be arrested. I did hear about the jail captain who was never charged with the crimes he too commited. If Mr Newsome is innocent of the charges, I hope he is set free. Innocent people are arrested everyday and criminals walk free at the same time. Our justice system needs a total overhaul.

Since: Sep 11

United States

#7 Sep 28, 2011
i said what i said becouse i'm blood kin to newsome
tomboy

Vidalia, GA

#8 Oct 1, 2011
The GBI had been investigating this for a while. There's alot even the family doesn't know.
little2late

Savannah, GA

#9 Oct 1, 2011
Maybe we will eventually find out just what the truth in this case really is, though I am skeptical. The Good ole boy politics control this place. I suggest we do some replacing of offices come next election.
Conch

Lutz, FL

#10 Oct 6, 2011
Are you Black or Brown?
it seems color matters when you are guilty or not.
So he is a good role model, why cause he's white?
So he did good by buying it or helping someone.
Wow, get your facts right.So he was doing a good deed.
and he got busted. Smile your on camera!:)
Proud

United States

#11 Oct 7, 2011
actually there is nothing the family doesnt know about the situation now...how do i know....oh lets see...I'm family....yes there is more to this situation and it will all come out...just sit back and watch and you will see!!
Ben30144

Kennesaw, GA

#12 Oct 20, 2011
i knew ricky very well , and yes he is a very good man. he went to bat for me once before and i would be willing to do the same for him. and as for all you on here ho dont really know him like i do or like his family does should just be quite. because of ricky i am now in college and persuing a career in law enforcement. i dont know all the details of the case and probably nevr will. however, i do stand by ricky as he is just about as good as they come.
joe77474

Vidalia, GA

#13 Oct 22, 2011
I assume ya'll are not the family that was caught with illegal substances. Ricky was a good man who has more than his fair share of issues.

There is another city employee that is corrupt; he is not law enforcement and unlikely to be caught. Our next mayor has already been "brainwashed" by him.

The truth shall set you free!
Proud

Perry, GA

#14 Oct 24, 2011
Ben30144 wrote:
i knew ricky very well , and yes he is a very good man. he went to bat for me once before and i would be willing to do the same for him. and as for all you on here ho dont really know him like i do or like his family does should just be quite. because of ricky i am now in college and persuing a career in law enforcement. i dont know all the details of the case and probably nevr will. however, i do stand by ricky as he is just about as good as they come.
Thank You For this comment!!!!
concerned citizen

United States

#15 Nov 1, 2011
There is no excuse for a police chief to act in this manner period!!!
Pinky

Greenville, SC

#16 Nov 3, 2011
Ricky did some good things while at LPD. Maybe Proud from Fitz. will be on the jury or get a J.D. and become a judge, if not Mr. Newsome won't be getting many favors during his trial.

GBI and drug task force had been watching him for a while. I was notified someone in Lyons was being watched but had no idea it was their top law enforcement official.
Royalty

Vidalia, GA

#17 Nov 9, 2011
I agree completely withany concerned citizen he might of done some good before but that single bad dicision corrupted his whole career and think a bout it this way all who say their " family" to this guy do you think GOd is pleased with his action a sin is a sin even if it was committed for someone else

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#18 Nov 15, 2011
Have they hired a new Police Chief yet?
Royalty

Vidalia, GA

#19 Nov 18, 2011
No they stiil have a the "2nd in command" in acttion but their planning to
Anonymous

Athens, GA

#20 Nov 22, 2011
News break, Toombs and especially Tattnall are full of crooks. Hell I know it for a fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toombs County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vidalia lawyer who stole from clients gets 8 ye... (Nov '15) Mar '16 Racketown 3
Morgan Lacey Feb '16 Kenny 1
News Vidalia officer charged with statutory rape gra... (Apr '15) May '15 Bocephus 4
News Santa visits 165th Airlift Wing (Dec '14) Dec '14 Polar 1
News Candidates Qualify (Mar '14) Mar '14 Constituent 1
News Officials: Video poker machines seized for ille... (Mar '10) Feb '14 Chow Down 2
News Qualifying Starts Monday in Lyons (Sep '13) Sep '13 oh no 1
More from around the web