Father Faces Murder Charges

There are 35 comments on the Southeast Georgia Today story from Jan 31, 2011, titled Father Faces Murder Charges. In it, Southeast Georgia Today reports that:

January 31-- A late night liaison led to a fatal shooting in Toombs County. Toombs County Sheriff Junior Kight reports 22-year-old Justin Deshun Patterson of Montgomery County was shot by 61-year-old Norman NeeSmith between three and four a.m. Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Southeast Georgia Today.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 31, 2011
Oh Lord,please let justice be served.
Amen!
robert

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2011
Robert bellamy wrote:
Oh Lord,please let justice be served.
Amen!
i agree i agree+
Stephon

Lake City, FL

#3 Feb 1, 2011
This was my cousin. This is not a situation and I hope this man gets what he deserved. Love Nd Miss you Justin
jamel

Vidalia, GA

#4 Feb 2, 2011
i hope u burn in hell
nikki

United States

#5 Feb 2, 2011
that was my uncle and i see where he did no wrong they had no right to be in his house at 4 am without him knowing he was protecting his daughter and it was a accident
Julie

Greensboro, NC

#6 Feb 3, 2011
It is not a accident when you hold a gun on someone and shoot them as they are running away. He was wrong for being in his home with his daughter but he did not deserve to be murdered. He needs to be dealt with in the highest punishment possible.

Jesup, GA

#7 Feb 3, 2011
his daughter invited him in...she need be charged too...
U knoe

Monticello, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2011
I know the neesmith man.. And to tell u the truth I can't stand him.... no one by any means deserved to die.. But the full story is not being told in the news!.. No one is talking about the 14yr old girl in the room having sex with the brother of the guy who got shot... No one is talking about the dad walking in and they just got threw smoking out.... Oh and lets start mentioning the whole in the wall where norman was pushed so hard he busted the wall threw. The full story is not being told.. All u need to do is put ur feet in his shoes.. The girls are so wrong for what they done by inviting the guys over... And the guys new better also.
U knoe

Monticello, FL

#9 Feb 3, 2011
I pray for the patterson family.. justin had his whole life to live... It was cut short by people not thinking and not careing. I think both girls should be charged! this is a crazy situation!
sad situation

Atlanta, GA

#10 Feb 4, 2011
This is a very sad situation. I agree that the young man had his whole life in front of him and it is a very sad thing that his life was cut so short. However I do not believe that Mr Neesmith had the intent to kill the young man. He should not have shot at him, but he was protecting his family, his home and himself when he got the gun in the first place. I do believe that he should face consequences for his actions, but I do not think that his actions warrent him spending the rest of his days in jail.If I awoke in the wee hours of the morning and found 2 boys in my home without my permission I'm afraid I might have acted in the same manner that he did. If I were pushed so hard that I feel through a wall I believe that I might have shot at the guys as well. I do feel very sorry for the young man who died and I hope that he can rest in peace and that God can through his loving grace help his family be able to move forward and find peace, however I do not think that taking Mr. Neesmith's life as he knows it away from him is the right course of action. I hope that the girl's who were involved in this learn from their mistakes, but I honestly don't think they will from some of the things that have been said about them and how they are acting now and after the incident happened. If anything they are the ones who should serve time.
U knoe

Columbus, GA

#11 Feb 4, 2011
You are so right.. sad situation! to day I heard the 18 yr old has went to a girls home and she is not allowed around her daughter.. Defax is involved. I hope the other girl is sent off as well!
whats the world coming to

Elko, NV

#12 Feb 5, 2011
i think every one should be held accountable....the father for murder,the boys for tresspassing and the girls for being so hot in the pants, i dont believe that the young man had to be shot or needed to die for that matter.regardless of the situation i think those boys wents as far as those girls would allow them and as far as the father i dont think those boys where a threat until they was held at gun point fight or flight..my question is what does a girl at that age know anything about sex, smoking, facebook, she was before her time and i think her parents where doing a poor job of parenting
parents

Jesup, GA

#13 Feb 6, 2011
whats the world coming to wrote:
i think every one should be held accountable....the father for murder,the boys for tresspassing and the girls for being so hot in the pants, i dont believe that the young man had to be shot or needed to die for that matter.regardless of the situation i think those boys wents as far as those girls would allow them and as far as the father i dont think those boys where a threat until they was held at gun point fight or flight..my question is what does a girl at that age know anything about sex, smoking, facebook, she was before her time and i think her parents where doing a poor job of parenting
How can a parent control an out of control 18 year old adult!!!! Every 18 out there thinks they know everthing,that they will never get hurt, or caught up in anything wrong.They see no danger in what they do. I pray this will open there eyes to what can happen when all do wrong, Mr.NeeSmith was in his home asleep with know intention of waking up to what he did. Did these kids/adults stop to think what would happen if he woke up? Did the girls ever wonder what would happen? It would be hard to say what you'd do if you were there...Sometimes as hard as parents try they can not control what kids do.18 is no longer a kid...
Ms Renee

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 7, 2011
I understand the father woke up to find two young men in his house with his daughters who "invited them in". Instead of asking those young men to leave or even call the police...he took it upon himself to pretty much hold them hostage, point a gun at them while they were sitting on his sofa and proceded to shoot at those young men as they were running away from his trailer..How is that protecting his home? Those boys went as far as the girls allowed them to. Its not like they broke into his home and were in the process of assualting those girls, they were invited. Blame is on both parties, the girls for being so fast and the boys for being in that man's house. As parents, we know kids don't think about the consequences of their actions. They act first and think later if at all, but that is certainly not a reason for a young man to lose his life. You never know what you would do until your in a situation, but this guy had plenty of chances to put those boys out, call the police or even call the parents and warn them to keep their kids away from his house. Instead, he took a life and probably would have killed the 14 year old as well if he could of. Every charge he is facing he deserves...RIP Justin!!
sad situation

Atlanta, GA

#15 Feb 8, 2011
Ms Renee wrote:
I understand the father woke up to find two young men in his house with his daughters who "invited them in". Instead of asking those young men to leave or even call the police...he took it upon himself to pretty much hold them hostage, point a gun at them while they were sitting on his sofa and proceded to shoot at those young men as they were running away from his trailer..How is that protecting his home? Those boys went as far as the girls allowed them to. Its not like they broke into his home and were in the process of assualting those girls, they were invited. Blame is on both parties, the girls for being so fast and the boys for being in that man's house. As parents, we know kids don't think about the consequences of their actions. They act first and think later if at all, but that is certainly not a reason for a young man to lose his life. You never know what you would do until your in a situation, but this guy had plenty of chances to put those boys out, call the police or even call the parents and warn them to keep their kids away from his house. Instead, he took a life and probably would have killed the 14 year old as well if he could of. Every charge he is facing he deserves...RIP Justin!!
Yes he shot at the boys....yes I'm sure he wishes that he would not have, but he didn't shoot at them for the purpose of killing them. He shot at them as they ran towards and passed him and pushed him through a wall! And the other boy involved was 18 not 14. The 14 year old was the other girl involved who by the way was his grandaughter/adopted daughters friend and they also arrested the 18 year old so what I'm assuming is statutory rape. Oh and by the way did I mention the guy who got shot had been smoking pot with the daughter as well. I'm still not saying Justin deserved to die because I'm sure he didn't, but it just irks me that everyone is pointing the finger and talking about all that Mr. Neesmith and his daughter did wrong, but they are none speaking of what the two boys did wrong. If Justin was impaired from the fact that he had been smoking pot who is to say what actions he took that could have caused Mr. Neesmith to retaliate?
Ms Renee

Chicago, IL

#16 Feb 8, 2011
Yes he shot at the boys....yes I'm sure he wishes that he would not have, but he didn't shoot at them for the purpose of killing them. He shot at them as they ran towards and passed him and pushed him through a wall! And the other boy involved was 18 not 14. The 14 year old was the other girl involved who by the way was his grandaughter/adopted daughters friend and they also arrested the 18 year old so what I'm assuming is statutory rape. Oh and by the way did I mention the guy who got shot had been smoking pot with the daughter as well. I'm still not saying Justin deserved to die because I'm sure he didn't, but it just irks me that everyone is pointing the finger and talking about all that Mr. Neesmith and his daughter did wrong, but they are none speaking of what the two boys did wrong. If Justin was impaired from the fact that he had been smoking pot who is to say what actions he took that could have caused Mr. Neesmith to retaliate?

Sad Situation, apparently you did not read the news article..or my reply very well. I did say both parties were to blame, the guys for being in that mans house and the girls for inviting them there. Who says they pushed him through a wall?? The article I read says nothing about those boys pushing him at all. It says they ran through the kitchen past him where he followed them out the backdoor and started shooting!! They were running away from him! I wasnt there and you certainly werent there either so you are going by what you heard and I am going by what I read. Would the situation be different in your eyes had it been the girs running away from the guys house and one was murdered by the boys parent???? Anytime you brandish a gun, point it and shoot it is an intention to injure or kill so with you saying "he didnt mean to shoot them" is ridiculous!!! Either way it goes it is a lose lose situation. I really dont care about you being "irked". This is a blog and I am free to post exactly how I feel as well as you are! By the way, I posted the article for you to read below.

Monday, 31 January 2011
January 31-- A late night liaison led to a fatal shooting in Toombs County.

Toombs County Sheriff Junior Kight reports 22-year-old Justin Deshun Patterson of Montgomery County was shot by 61-year-old Norman NeeSmith between three and four a.m. Saturday.

According to the Sheriff, NeeSmith caught Patterson and his brother in the bedrooms of NeeSmith's mobile home at 220 Harden Chapel Road with his 18-year-old daughter Danielle Nichole Rozier and a juvenile girl.

"He went to bed that night and left the girls watching TV. They were waiting on him to go to bed. When he got to bed and got to sleep, that's when they invited them over, and they came and crossed the hood over there and walked over to the house.

"He woke up during the night. I don't know if heard a noise or what, but he woke up. They were split up, one in one bedroom and one in another. He brought them out of the bedrooms and was threatening to shoot them, he had his gun out at that time. He walked them up to the living room and they sat down on the couch. I don't know how long that took place, but then they ran through the kitchen and were trying to get out the back door. He followed them all the way through the kitchen to the back door and that's when he fired," Sheriff Kight said.

Deputies later found Patterson's 18-year-old brother, Shavon Patterson, at a store in Santa Claus and he led them back to where he had last seen his wounded brother. Officers found Patterson's body behind the home of a neighbor of NeeSmiths. Sheriff Kight said had been shot in the side with a .22 caliber pistol.

According to Middle Judicial Circuit District Attorney Hayward Altman, NeeSmith is being charged with felony murder, aggravated assault and false imprisonment and is held at the Charles Durst Detention Center in Lyons.

Lifes not fair

Savannah, GA

#17 Feb 8, 2011
We as parents as a job to protect our families.I have 3 boys, and have always told them that you don't go to a girls house after 11pm. And nerver if her folks were not home,or aware of it. These were all broken By both parties. the girls were so wrong t invite these boys over, but the boys had to no that something was wrong,parents don't let boys come over after 11pm. How many parents do? what were these boys thinkin? They knew better too.
the girls kwen better as well. whose at fault. The father was doing what any other man wuold do...
I'm sorry that this young man died.No one wantedthat to happen, its sad for all envole
SHAUSTE

Herndon, VA

#18 Feb 9, 2011
One needs to distinguish between “bad judgment” and “being wrong”. Bad judgment is these young men being in the young ladies house (and bedrooms) at that time of the morning…even if they were invited. Bad judgment is the home owner brandishing a loaded weapon, with the intent to commit bodily harm…after all, what’s the intent of a loaded weapon if not to commit bodily harm? Being wrong is discharging a firearm toward a fleeing individual. Why didn’t the homeowner contact the police? Why didn’t the homeowner ask the young men to leave his property? Why did the homeowner make them sit on a couch instead of showing them the exit? Some say that the homeowner shouldn’t be punished the rest of his life for an ‘accident’. Justin and his family are being punished the rest of their lives. The homeowner was grown enough to know that he was wrong…Justin will never have that chance.
sad situation

Jesup, GA

#19 Feb 9, 2011
Sad Situation, apparently you did not read the news article..or my reply very well. I did say both parties were to blame, the guys for being in that mans house and the girls for inviting them there. Who says they pushed him through a wall?? The article I read says nothing about those boys pushing him at all. It says they ran through the kitchen past him where he followed them out the backdoor and started shooting!! They were running away from him! I wasnt there and you certainly werent there either so you are going by what you heard and I am going by what I read. Would the situation be different in your eyes had it been the girs running away from the guys house and one was murdered by the boys parent???? Anytime you brandish a gun, point it and shoot it is an intention to injure or kill so with you saying "he didnt mean to shoot them" is ridiculous!!! Either way it goes it is a lose lose situation. I really dont care about you being "irked". This is a blog and I am free to post exactly how I feel as well as you are! By the way, I posted the article for you to read below.
Monday, 31 January 2011
January 31-- A late night liaison led to a fatal shooting in Toombs County.
Toombs County Sheriff Junior Kight reports 22-year-old Justin Deshun Patterson of Montgomery County was shot by 61-year-old Norman NeeSmith between three and four a.m. Saturday.
According to the Sheriff, NeeSmith caught Patterson and his brother in the bedrooms of NeeSmith's mobile home at 220 Harden Chapel Road with his 18-year-old daughter Danielle Nichole Rozier and a juvenile girl.
"He went to bed that night and left the girls watching TV. They were waiting on him to go to bed. When he got to bed and got to sleep, that's when they invited them over, and they came and crossed the hood over there and walked over to the house.
"He woke up during the night. I don't know if heard a noise or what, but he woke up. They were split up, one in one bedroom and one in another. He brought them out of the bedrooms and was threatening to shoot them, he had his gun out at that time. He walked them up to the living room and they sat down on the couch. I don't know how long that took place, but then they ran through the kitchen and were trying to get out the back door. He followed them all the way through the kitchen to the back door and that's when he fired," Sheriff Kight said.
Deputies later found Patterson's 18-year-old brother, Shavon Patterson, at a store in Santa Claus and he led them back to where he had last seen his wounded brother. Officers found Patterson's body behind the home of a neighbor of NeeSmiths. Sheriff Kight said had been shot in the side with a .22 caliber pistol.
According to Middle Judicial Circuit District Attorney Hayward Altman, NeeSmith is being charged with felony murder, aggravated assault and false imprisonment and is held at the Charles Durst Detention Center in Lyons.

I read the article thanks though. However as in most cases with something like this all the facts were not revealed. I do believe that as the case makes its way through the courts more facts will come to light. Again I still feel very sorry for all parties involved and hope that this situation will serve as a lesson to other young people and they will learn from these people's mistake. BTW...the age, gender and race have nothing to do with my feelings on the situation.
u knoe

Jesup, GA

#20 Feb 9, 2011
Maybe he made the boys sit on the couch b/c the 14 year old girl was Crying that he raped her.. she was took to the hosp. for rape. The 14 yr. old girl wasn't his child, and i dont know what i would do if my daughters friend was over in my home and I am responsible for protecting her, and her hollar "he raped me"! Agian... the full story is not being told! I think he was going to call the police but things got out of hand QUICK.... It's hard to say what you would have done... please dont judge before you know the full story. I am not saying Justin should have been killed. I think Norman deserves to be charged with the killing of justin.. but not spend the rest of his life in prison. i think the girls should both be sent off to a girls home. and i think the brother should be charged with rape.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toombs County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vidalia lawyer who stole from clients gets 8 ye... (Nov '15) Mar '16 Racketown 3
News Lyons Police Chief Busted on Drug Charges (Sep '11) Mar '16 Jack Johnson 40
Morgan Lacey Feb '16 Kenny 1
News Vidalia officer charged with statutory rape gra... (Apr '15) May '15 Bocephus 4
News Santa visits 165th Airlift Wing (Dec '14) Dec '14 Polar 1
News Candidates Qualify (Mar '14) Mar '14 Constituent 1
News Officials: Video poker machines seized for ille... (Mar '10) Feb '14 Chow Down 2
More from around the web