Tax Rebate Check Amounts

Full story: WLFI Lafayette 7
It's the time of year again when the W-2s start rolling in. For homeowners receiving a homestead credit, there might be one more figure they need to report. Full Story
Concerned Citizen

West Lafayette, IN

#1 Jan 22, 2009
I'm not sure how many local citizens know of this information being listed PUBLICLY, but I sure do not appreciate having my name, address, etc. listed on your web. I will be looking into the legality of this. Personally, I suggest you remove it!
EricS

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 22, 2009
Property tax assessments and rebates are both public record. Any interested party can get the information from the county office. The whole point in putting information online is to make the information easier to obtain, and also save the county a small fortune in time and paper. I don't see an issue with it, especially since they only list names and addresses, not really anything that will personally identify a person, such as birthdates and social security numbers.
Janet

Elkhart, IN

#3 Jan 22, 2009
EricS is correct. You don't need to go to the county office, though. You can go to the Tippecanoe County website, do a search, and view anyone's property tax info, including assessed value, etc. It's all public record.
Lafayette Native

West Lafayette, IN

#4 Jan 22, 2009
Why should I claim this on my income taxes? I believe I paid my property taxes out of my paycheck.
This money already had income taxes paid on it.
This is double taxation.
Once again MITCH and his CRONIES are up to it.
Taxation without accepting responsibility!!!!!!
ONCE AGAIN I'M GLAD I DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS $#@%^*$.
W L citizen

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2009
I'd like to know where we're supposed to claim it on our taxes forms.
Janet

Elkhart, IN

#6 Jan 23, 2009
Lafayette Native wrote:
Why should I claim this on my income taxes? I believe I paid my property taxes out of my paycheck.
This money already had income taxes paid on it.
This is double taxation.
Once again MITCH and his CRONIES are up to it.
Taxation without accepting responsibility!!!!!!
ONCE AGAIN I'M GLAD I DIDN'T VOTE FOR THIS $#@%^*$.
I'm guessing that they mean for people who itemize, and list how much they paid in property tax, to subtract the rebate amount from the amount paid, which would be the actual amount you paid. I dont think they expect you to add it to your income. I'm not positive, though.

And Mitch Daniels had nothing to do with it. It's just tax law.
Lafayette Native

West Lafayette, IN

#7 Jan 29, 2009
Mitch has everything to do with it.
He is an IDIOT period!
I am glad I didn't vote for him.
Remember how jobs he said he created 1000's.
They must be overseas or in Mexico, because they sure are not in Indiana!
Just one good thing we won't have to worry about him running again, that's law!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tippecanoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New ISP troopers hit the road Aug '14 Idealist101 1
Zeman to challenge Donat for judgeship (Jan '14) Jan '14 NoZeman 1
Same-sex couples seeking marriage could be char... (Jul '13) Jul '13 DNF 7
Kemp Wagoner Wagener Waggoner family descendant... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Kathie 1
New Attica police chief named (Oct '12) Feb '13 Harper 3
2nd female Indiana justice to take formal oath (Dec '12) Dec '12 USS Liberty 1
Purdue frats, sororities take break from drinking (Sep '10) Dec '12 tod 2
More from around the web