Union City has embraced the power of wind

There are 10 comments on the Aug 23, 2010, Indianapolis Star story titled Union City has embraced the power of wind. In it, Indianapolis Star reports that:

A classroom science project inspires a small town to think big. Now, Union City is home to the 1st school system and local government in Indiana to own wind turbines.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indianapolis Star.

Anxious

Greenville, OH

#1 Aug 24, 2010
So when are they going to start spinning?
Taxpayer

Plymouth, IN

#2 Aug 24, 2010
Anxious wrote:
So when are they going to start spinning?
Can't fix junk.
can see then

Hubbard, OH

#3 Aug 24, 2010
all i have to do is look out my back door and see them spinning
Glasnos

Fabens, TX

#4 Aug 24, 2010
Wait till one kills a bird ... and the school goes into a day of mourning ... and shuts the windmills down. Art class can draw pictures and shop class can construct a little coffin ... aww ... the smell of liberalism ....
hmmmm

Richmond, IN

#5 Aug 24, 2010
I guess I thought that they would spin 24/7. I have seen them spining but only certain times.
gardener

Winchester, IN

#6 Aug 24, 2010
Glasnos wrote:
Wait till one kills a bird ... and the school goes into a day of mourning ... and shuts the windmills down. Art class can draw pictures and shop class can construct a little coffin ... aww ... the smell of liberalism ....
You are a complete idiot.
Yep

Girard, OH

#7 Aug 24, 2010
Glasnos wrote:
That's probably true of other schools in "real" towns, but fortunately that attitude hasn't made it here yet. "yet" anyway.
Bobby

Girard, OH

#8 Aug 24, 2010
They aren't fully commissioned yet but have earned money for the school and city already. Wind has to be steady 9-11 mph before they crank on. They don't just start and stop with bursts of wind.
Taxpayer, they have had problems but they aren't junk, and they haven't cost any local taxpayer money. The only taxpayer money they've cost nationally is the tax credits that lure the investment.
Glasnos

Fabens, TX

#9 Aug 24, 2010
Bobby wrote:
They aren't fully commissioned yet but have earned money for the school and city already. Wind has to be steady 9-11 mph before they crank on. They don't just start and stop with bursts of wind.
Taxpayer, they have had problems but they aren't junk, and they haven't cost any local taxpayer money. The only taxpayer money they've cost nationally is the tax credits that lure the investment.
Bobby ... do you know what a "grant" is?
Sounds like a boondoggle. Each of the turbines cost $2.3 million and will return $3 million over 25 years!
No private enterprise would ever go forward with such a long payback period.
banta

Celina, OH

#10 Aug 25, 2010
Bobby wrote:
When you say earned money, just what does that mean when taxpayer dollar/Govt funding paid for these?
You say that its not taxpayer money...then where did the Govt. get this money... The Govt doesn't have any money other than that which they take from the taxpayer. Oh, but I forget, the Fed prints paper --- inflationary money.

Fact: if Govt did not subsidize the wind energy it would cost .25/kW hr.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of Wind energy. Its better that the feds spend it on this than spending it on other worthless endeavors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tippecanoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cellphone search warrant denied in homicide case Jan '15 relative 1
News Lafayette police shooting review awaits results... (Feb '12) Jan '15 callie Javon sister 11
News New ISP troopers hit the road (Aug '14) Aug '14 Idealist101 1
News Zeman to challenge Donat for judgeship (Jan '14) Jan '14 NoZeman 1
News Same-sex couples seeking marriage could be char... (Jul '13) Jul '13 DNF 7
Kemp Wagoner Wagener Waggoner family descendant... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Kathie 1
News New Attica police chief named (Oct '12) Feb '13 Harper 3
More from around the web