Conviction Changed for Former Deputy ...

Conviction Changed for Former Deputy Who Lied in Gauvin Case

There are 10 comments on the WLFI Lafayette story from Mar 6, 2008, titled Conviction Changed for Former Deputy Who Lied in Gauvin Case. In it, WLFI Lafayette reports that:

The conviction has been changed for the former Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Deputy who lied about checking on the well-being of Aiyanna Gauvin 9 months before her death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI Lafayette.

Jill

Frankfort, IN

#1 Mar 6, 2008
Why should anyone give him a second chance? He was Aiyannas second chance for a home free of abuse and he took that away from her and she was only a child who needed help and he was to self centered to even see her and make sure she was ok. He should be sitting the rest of his life in jail along with everyone elce becouse if he did his job in the first place she would still be here.
Lynda Bainbridge

United States

#2 Mar 6, 2008
Oh really. Well wasn't the job of protecting all families important to him ? He failed in his duty to serve and protect and an innocent child suffered unspeakable horrors until her death. Now he claims a felony conviction hampers him from caring for his own family ? Someone needs to do some serious thinking on this one. I for one don't care what kind of menial job he has to do to take care of his own. How is his family anymore important than the ones he failed to protect while working to serve the community ?
dana

Downers Grove, IL

#3 Mar 6, 2008
Why does he deserve a second chance? Ayianna did not have a second or third chance at being a little girl. How come Michell is not on death row as she deserves as her husband? This man deserves to have felon on his record. He is part of the reason this little girl is not a live-had he done his job Honestly- she maybe here with a foster family who could have given her another chance at life. Now the people in her life have to visit her little grave. What kind of person is going to become? a person who has now found god? Please anything he says or does now is to make sure he is okay not because he cares!
Beth

Kokomo, IN

#4 Mar 6, 2008
That little girl does not have a chance to prove who she can be, she might have if someone cared enough to check on her.
Susan

Bringhurst, IN

#5 Mar 6, 2008
What is this Judge thinking! We all know the facts of this case and we all know the defendant admitted to it and we also know that a little girl died. It doesn't seem fair that this person should receive such a lenient sentence.
Deanna

Oakland, CA

#6 Mar 6, 2008
I agree with the decision to reduce his charge. What he did was horrible, but I do believe he is truely remorseful for what he did and he will have to live the rest of his life knowing that he may have played a part in this young child's death.

Since: Mar 08

Lafayette, IN

#7 Mar 6, 2008
Wrong!!! So, for every felon that criess foul about not being able to support his family have his conviction reduced??? Wrong!! Every felon who commits a crime especially a police officer responsible for a child's life has consequences both now and in the future. As people say to criminals, should have that about that before you committed the crime.

Now, I do believe in 2nd chances as I am a recovering alcoholic with 16 years of sobriety. I paid my dues with a few days in jail. Also, doing volunteer work with juveniles, alcoholics etc, etc. Never once did I cry about having lower status jobs because of my decision to commit crimes & then crying to a judge about it. I took personal responsibility and worked as a volunteer in these fields to repair the damage I had done and then went back to get a degree in this field also to get a BETTER PAYING JOB TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY. I hardly feel that a judge changing the status of the conviction is paying your dues entirely.

Lafayette, IN

#8 Mar 6, 2008
My belief is that he can now hide this conviction because he won't have to put it on his resume` now. Resume`s only ask for conviction's of a felony. Now he cries about not being able to support his family??? Welcome to a felon's world in The US my friend. Very selfish to think about this when filling out those resume`s & thinking whooaaa is me!!! I can't get a job!!!

Lafayette, IN

#9 Mar 6, 2008
Beth wrote:
That little girl does not have a chance to prove who she can be, she might have if someone cared enough to check on her.
It's not that he didn't care enough to check on her. I certainly understand that CPS and The Sherrif's dept. "COULD" have been busy, certainly CPS is understaffed but he filled out a false report as to checking on the child.
Carolyn

Lombard, IL

#10 Mar 6, 2008
I think that Keller shouldn't had his felony reduced. Especially since he was an officer that we trust and he takes a Oath to do his duties. That little girls could still be alive if he had done his job. How would Keller feal..if that was his child not being checked on, and died because the officer and CPS didn't do the checking up pn the situration. I'v made mistaks in my life...and dearly paid for them. But, when it comes to children...everyone needs to protect and report anything that we know. Judge Les Meade is a great Judge...and a fair Judge for sure..I have been in front of him..he gave me a sentence..and I completed it. But..it didn't have anything to do with a childs death, for sure. I think that he shouild have thought about the dropping the felony on Keller...he should be like anyone else with a felony...have to put it on your application. Let him get a harder job and maybe two jobs to support his family. Judge Meade wil still get my vote for Judge...he's strict..but fair. Just in this unusual situration..he should have been stiffer with Keller..since it involved a precious child. The CPS should be also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tippecanoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tipton dedicates State Fair Band Day performanc... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Kzp 1
Cellphone search warrant denied in homicide case (Jan '15) Jan '15 relative 1
News Lafayette police shooting review awaits results... (Feb '12) Jan '15 callie Javon sister 11
News New ISP troopers hit the road (Aug '14) Aug '14 Idealist101 1
News Zeman to challenge Donat for judgeship (Jan '14) Jan '14 NoZeman 1
News Same-sex couples seeking marriage could be char... (Jul '13) Jul '13 DNF 7
Kemp Wagoner Wagener Waggoner family descendant... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Kathie 1
More from around the web