Sentence Changed for Former Deputy Wh...

Sentence Changed for Former Deputy Who Lied in Gauvin Case

There are 16 comments on the WLFI Lafayette story from Mar 7, 2008, titled Sentence Changed for Former Deputy Who Lied in Gauvin Case. In it, WLFI Lafayette reports that:

The sentence has been changed for the former Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Deputy who lied about checking on the well-being of Aiyanna Gauvin 9 months before her death.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI Lafayette.

Wheres my break

Bringhurst, IN

#1 Mar 7, 2008
I dont agree with Judge Johnsons decision on this at all. This mans that lied could have done his job and checked on Aiyanna and maybe would have found reason to have her removed from the home and she could still be alive today. I personally was charged with a felony for check deception. I did it because I was married to a man that didnt work and support his family. I was a young mother at the time and this was the only way at the time I knew how to get diapers, clothing for my kids, car seats, etc. I didnt know what else to do. I was charged with a felony. I am older now, paid my restitution and left the loser but I still cant get a job to really support my kids. Minimum wage doesnt pay enough to live for one person let alone a family. I was turned down for several good jobs that I qualified for because of this. I think the judicial system shouldnt give breaks to people like him unless they are going to give them to people that have turned their lives around and are trying to better themselves like I am.
Hoosier Grandma

Marion, OH

#2 Mar 7, 2008
You have every opportunity to petition the court for a reduction in your sentence as well. Get off your butt and do something for yourself instead of whining and complaining. But most of all, stop stealing from others. It's WRONG!
Wheres my break

Bringhurst, IN

#3 Mar 7, 2008
I have tried for the last 6 years and they just tell me that I should have thought of that when I did it. I did steal but I paid it back in full plus some.
Cunfused and Outraged

West Lafayette, IN

#4 Mar 7, 2008
I agree that all people should be given this same opportunity. Is this man exempt because he worked in law enforcement??? Many people in our society have had Felony convictions, changed their lives after serving much more than 6 months in jail, and are unable to get a decent paying job.
They are not eligible for any entitlements such as food stamps or Medicaid and to survive they re-offend. The last time I checked the rate of recidivism was 85%! Maybe if more people were given "the Golden Opportunity" this mans been given, our society would have lower crime rate and less homelessness. I work in social services and have seen first hand what effect a felony has on a person, many of them good people! This is a burden carried for the rest of a personís life.
FactChecker

Lafayette, IN

#5 Mar 7, 2008
Wheres my break wrote:
I dont agree with Judge Johnsons decision on this at all. This mans that lied could have done his job and checked on Aiyanna and maybe would have found reason to have her removed from the home and she could still be alive today. I personally was charged with a felony for check deception. I did it because I was married to a man that didnt work and support his family. I was a young mother at the time and this was the only way at the time I knew how to get diapers, clothing for my kids, car seats, etc. I didnt know what else to do. I was charged with a felony. I am older now, paid my restitution and left the loser but I still cant get a job to really support my kids. Minimum wage doesnt pay enough to live for one person let alone a family. I was turned down for several good jobs that I qualified for because of this. I think the judicial system shouldnt give breaks to people like him unless they are going to give them to people that have turned their lives around and are trying to better themselves like I am.
NOT Judge Johnson, but Judge Meade let Keller off the hook. Get your facts straight before you blame someone else.
wowagain

West Lafayette, IN

#6 Mar 7, 2008
I hope you take the same consideration for people who were not a Sheriff's Deputy.
There are many,many people in prison/jail that could be something different if they would of went to Judge Meade's court room.
wowagain

West Lafayette, IN

#7 Mar 7, 2008
Hoosier Grandma wrote:
You have every opportunity to petition the court for a reduction in your sentence as well. Get off your butt and do something for yourself instead of whining and complaining. But most of all, stop stealing from others. It's WRONG!
You are right,it is WRONG to steal from others,but it is also WRONG for an officer that is suppose to serve and protect to ignore a little girls CRY for help.
joybol

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Mar 7, 2008
Keller should have been held responsible to the full extent of the law. He knowingly neglected his duties and more than likely attributed to death of the child. Police officers should not be given lighter sentences just because they are cops when they break the law and not doing his duties is not only his responsibility but that of the whole police department. Officers need to held accountable and treated with the same practices that normal citizens face if they break the law. Police many times take advantage of their authority to use it how and when they choose and I do not feel this approporiate especially when children are involved. Who else can we depend on if not the police especially in case where abuse is involved whether it be a child, adult or elderly adult. They should know that the police is there to help them and be able to depend upon them. Why should he be allowed any better treatment and his case be dropped from a felony to a misdemeanor, he knew what he was doing and what the charges would be if he did not follow through. Bad judgement call on the judge, but that is normal when the police or lawyers are involved. They all seem to get off the hook when it comes to punishment or sentencing.
JAK

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 7, 2008
Does This Mean The sentences Of The Parents Be Reduced Also ? Another Politician Gets Off the Easy Way,THE BUDDY SYSTEM....
DO YOUR JOB

United States

#10 Mar 7, 2008
IF THIS OFFICER HAD DONE HIS JOB THIS LITTLE GIRL MIGHT STILL BE ALIVE IHOPE THIS EATS AT HIS HEART EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE!!! ALSO HE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE SO IF HIS CHARGES CAN BE CHANGED THEN THIS SHOULD OPEN THE DOOR TO OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN WRONGFULLY CHARGED
bikelegs2

Lafayette, IN

#11 Mar 7, 2008
FactChecker wrote:
<quoted text>
NOT Judge Johnson, but Judge Meade let Keller off the hook. Get your facts straight before you blame someone else.
TRoll!!!
bikelegs2

Lafayette, IN

#12 Mar 7, 2008
DO YOUR JOB wrote:
IF THIS OFFICER HAD DONE HIS JOB THIS LITTLE GIRL MIGHT STILL BE ALIVE IHOPE THIS EATS AT HIS HEART EVERY DAY OF HIS LIFE!!! ALSO HE IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANYONE ELSE SO IF HIS CHARGES CAN BE CHANGED THEN THIS SHOULD OPEN THE DOOR TO OTHERS WHO HAVE BEEN WRONGFULLY CHARGED
He wasn't wrongfully charged. He was rightfully charged & convicted, then let off the hook because he was having to put his felony conviction on job application's and was crying foul because it was affecting him getting a job to support his family. WAAA!!! Waaaaa! Waaaa!!!! Should have thought about that before committing the crime. Personally, he should have to experience this just like every other convicted felon in The US.
Lottie

West Lafayette, IN

#13 Mar 7, 2008
Even though it is not possible to show the impact of this officer's dereliction of duties in Aiyana's death, the felony conviction should have remained in place so he does live with the consequences of his actions. It is disappointing to know the judicial system is not fair and impartial when it comes to applying justice and shows favortism towards certain elements of the population.
Dale653

Cape Coral, FL

#14 Mar 7, 2008
To all that do not no the facts. This Glen Keller that you don't know Is one of my best friends and I know what went on. He was a TOP COP and did a great job for my former county.. Lets ask the question why would a judge let report after report on the step mother and father go unanswered. Why had the children been left in that home when the family had begged for this judge for help before the call came in for him to check on that little girl.. Ask those questions and leave great judges like Meade,Johnson, alone...
Jerry

Kingston, PA

#15 Mar 7, 2008
Man I have done bad in my life done the crime done my time,Got me a class D Felony out of it. It made me a better person, have not done drugs or drank since Oct,07,05. But still cant get a good job or a good place to live. Where is my reduction for my felony. Guess I should have seen Judge Meade instead of Johnnson.Which I thank they are both good judges.
sherry

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Mar 8, 2008
god knows your heart glen and he forgives

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tippecanoe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lafayette man admits to armed robbery, charges ... Jan '18 scared 2
News Lafayette police shooting review awaits results... (Feb '12) Nov '17 Raphele Owens 12
News Board of Accounts says $1.5 million in public f... Oct '17 Merica 1
News Facebook post announces McCoy's run for prosecutor Sep '17 Yo daddy 1
News Owner Of Delphi Murder Site Tells Officer He Vi... (Apr '17) Aug '17 wow 12
News Court: Intent to switch gender not subject to p... (Aug '17) Aug '17 Yup 3
Tippecanoe County Arrest Records and Criminal M... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Daniel 2
More from around the web