Heat Killed Dogs Left In Olympia Car ...

Heat Killed Dogs Left In Olympia Car For 5 Hours

There are 15 comments on the KIRO-TV Seattle story from Jul 21, 2009, titled Heat Killed Dogs Left In Olympia Car For 5 Hours. In it, KIRO-TV Seattle reports that:

Two dogs died after being left inside a sweltering hot car Friday as their owner went in a store to use their free Internet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KIRO-TV Seattle.

Mimi

Spokane, WA

#1 Jul 22, 2009
They should lock him in a car on a 90 degree day and let what happens, happen. He needs to be locked up! I hope we get to find out what happens to him!
Mimi

Spokane, WA

#2 Jul 22, 2009
Oops, I meant to say her. I was so mad I couldn't think straight! lol
Mimi

Spokane, WA

#3 Jul 22, 2009
They should lock her in a car on a 90 degree day and let what happens, happen. She needs to be locked up! I hope we get to find out what happens to her!
Kraz kat

Anchorage, AK

#4 Jul 23, 2009
This makes me so angry!!!!!!!

Total Stupidity, you NEVER leave an animal or a child in a car (even with the window cracked)in 90 degree weather, especially not for 5 hours.

This woman needs to be punished to the full extent of the law.

I always make sure I have a a ceiling fan on in my apartment, and windows open for my cats to sit and breath fresh air when I am at work, even when it is only in the 70's.

May they find new friends at "The Rainbow Bridge," and NO lady they won't be waiting there for YOU.
Not Johnny not Ed

Federal Way, WA

#5 Jul 23, 2009
dumb dora was so dumb

(how dumb was she?)

Dumb dora was so dumb, she though if she left some dogs in a car in the sweltering heat they would become hotdogs.
sad

Bolingbrook, IL

#6 Jul 24, 2009
Unreal. This is a grown woman and she's realizing just now in life that a car gets hot when it sits out in the sun. These stories make me want to scream. It doesn't matter how many news stories are reported or printed every summer about the warnings of heat in cars, someone or something always dies. She had the sense to check on them, she couldn't tell it was hot in there??? The kennel was crammed in the back of the car. No room for air. I really think she should be charged with cruelty to animals, even though dogs, they were living creatures who suffered an awful death. Senseless.
Animal Lover

Seattle, WA

#7 Jul 29, 2009
I think this lady should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This was a case of animal abuse and neglect and needs to be adressed in court. This type of behavior toward animals needs to stop. I want to cry when I think of the suffering these animals went through. It would only be fair she serve time for her stupidity and lack of responsibility!! Only a complete idiot would not know any better.
Animal Lover

Seattle, WA

#8 Jul 29, 2009
Not Johnny not Ed wrote:
dumb dora was so dumb
(how dumb was she?)
Dumb dora was so dumb, she though if she left some dogs in a car in the sweltering heat they would become hotdogs.
Save the jokes for someone who thinks you are funny! Your humor is little to be dsired. It is quite dissapointing that someone find humor in a horrible thing that happened to an animal.
antigoonis

Gouldsboro, PA

#9 Mar 4, 2010
It's almost a type of racism when you think about it. Some people think animals are unimportant and insignificant. Therefore they tend to neglect them and abuse them because those d*ckwads feel they don't matter. Ever see that show on Animal Planet? Seems every time someone is arrested, they act like "what's da big deal?" Maybe this is even why some animals attack their owners. I say good for them! Bite them in the ass once for me!
LIBERTY

Gouldsboro, PA

#10 Mar 5, 2010
A few years ago, when I was renting someone's basement, I had a landlord who was always screaming at his his dog. At the time I dismissed it. I figured it was none of my business. A few months after I had moved in, my landlord told me he and his family had to take a trip and if I could watch his dog for about a week. When he and his family eventually returned, they thanked me and that was it. Until a couple of days later, I heard scratching at the door that connects their laundry room to my apartment. I opened the door and their dog came wandering in. Just then I heard their car pulling into the driveway. I was afraid to get in trouble but in an attempt to get the dog back inside, he resisted me. He actually wanted to stay with me. To this day, I wish I had the courage to dognapp him.
Renata

Silverdale, WA

#11 Aug 4, 2010
I have often faked that I am an "off duty" animal control officer so that I can educate (and intimidate if necessary) someone on why they can't leave their dog(s) in the hot car. Usually works, becaues I don't leave, and I threaten them with calling the police and charging them with "animal cruelty" and "confiscation of their animal to a shelter" if they don't get the dog out, or get the air conditioning on and leave the parking lot. Sad I have to do this, as there are no state laws to protect animals (who are as valuable as children, right?). What the hell is Gov. Gregoire doing in her second term of office anyway??
Most people arrive at a store in air conditioned cars, which still feel cool when they get out and leave the dogs in (cool for about 10 minutes max), so they should think about how hot it was before they got in their car with the dogs, and they should imagine wearing a fur coat in even temperatures over 65 degrees! People are not just stupid, they may really not care.

Since: Aug 10

Pineville, WV

#12 Aug 4, 2010
The person whom left his/her dog in the car to begin with, should've known better. Or, there's something wrong with that person one, anyone that has enough sense would know that if a car is parked all day with the windows up, will get hot, maybe they will not keep their dog in the car as hot as it was that day again.
Even Tempered

Bellingham, WA

#14 Aug 4, 2011
Let's look at the whole picture, shall we? There are no specific guidelines on when it is too hot for animals in cars. I scoured the Internet to find any when I got a puppy. There are simply too many variables.

Yes, we know when we are inside a vehicle what the temperature is like, but cars vary; interior materials, interior and exterior colors, temperature of the car when turned off, shade, possible cooling mats and other cooling items can make a difference, too. Sometimes the shade is wonderful and then the sun moves and the temperature dangerously rises.

Cars should have alrams that could be activated to go off if the interior temperature gets beyond a safe range. That would be very simple with today's technology.

It is sad about the dogs, but sometimes cars don't seem like they are going to get that hot. Don't tellme none of you have ever taken your dog with you on an overcast day and dashed into a grocery store onlyto return to your car and find the weather suddenly cleared and your car suddenly got hot.

Five hours is a long time, but come on, do you really think the person wanted to kill their dogs? If they are stupid, then let's make sure even stupid people won't repeat the mistake and get car manufactuers to install temperature alarms. Any other equipment connected to so many deaths every year would be scrutinized. Let's place blame in ALL the right places.

Even Tempered
Just Thinking

Bellingham, WA

#15 Aug 4, 2011
Then there are the stores that won't allow any pets. Just imagine how nice it would be if well-behaved dogs could go with us in stores. Some people just lie and say their dogs are service dogs. That is illegal, of course, but couldn't more stores work with pet owners to help us keep our dogs with us during the Summer? I know there are health reasons not to have dogs in grocery stores and restaurants, but it shouldn't be an issue to take a walk with a well-behaved dog through a mall on a hot day.
septiscoming

Olympia, WA

#16 Aug 27, 2011
Lot of folks are leaving their dogs and kids in their vehicles. They do know better. They don't want anyone telling them they can't do it or, as in a recent case, they threaten to assault or shoot anyone who does. Who do you call? The police? Animal Control? Really? Have you tried doing that lately? See how far you get.

--- Prophet Atlantis of Olympia, WA -----

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thurston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mother Marks Victory in Ronda Reynolds Case (Mar '08) Jul '16 lip1963 6
News Schools get tested on their earthquake safety, ... (Dec '15) Apr '16 Jaimie 4
News Animal cruelty charges recommended: Dog 'covere... (Nov '14) Dec '14 Dhfhr 3
News (Washington) Thurston County judge refuses to m... (Dec '12) Sep '14 Livinlife2day 40
News Voters in Tenino School District reject $38 mil... (May '14) May '14 Tenino Tax Greed 3
News County should take back the shelter siting process (Apr '14) Apr '14 David Conn 1
News DUI Pilot Program Starts January 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Troy N Houghtalin... 1
More from around the web