Pelican Bay police are getting tow-happy

Pelican Bay police are getting tow-happy

There are 49 comments on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram story from Jan 23, 2007, titled Pelican Bay police are getting tow-happy. In it, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that:

Drive here at your own risk. Police are stopping more drivers and towing more cars -- mainly to pay for a 60 percent increase in the police budget and the chief's 130 percent pay raise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Janna

Crawford, TX

#1 Jan 23, 2007
Pelican Bay should have kept their previous chief. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but honest and had the citizens welfare at heart at all times. Also, isn't there something about "quotas." Sounds like that's what's happening with the large chart behind the chief's desk - illegal?
Mark

Grapevine, TX

#2 Jan 23, 2007
Obey traffic laws and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Why are they towing? Is it for drivers without insurance?
Tabby

Pottsboro, TX

#3 Jan 25, 2007
It's a little suspicious when Pelican Bay pulls someone over a mile and a half from where said violation occured. Not to mention I have a child in Liberty Elementary and I have seen Pelican Bay many times parked in the left turn lane for Liberty School Rd. on Sandy Beach Rd., they park right there to catch people speeding in a school zone that is not even in that area. Pelican Bay police do not think before they act. Something needs to be done.
Mike

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Jan 28, 2007
See the Community Forum on http://www.pelicanbaycity.com
Janna wrote:
Pelican Bay should have kept their previous chief. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but honest and had the citizens welfare at heart at all times. Also, isn't there something about "quotas." Sounds like that's what's happening with the large chart behind the chief's desk - illegal?
Tom

AOL

#6 Jan 28, 2007
Mark wrote:
Obey traffic laws and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Why are they towing? Is it for drivers without insurance?
OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE I AM A SCHOOL TEACHER THAT LIVES OUT HERE AND BLEAVE ME, A TURNING SIGNAL INFRACTION MENS A TOWED CAR
teri

United States

#7 Jan 29, 2007
Tom wrote:
<quoted text> OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE I AM A SCHOOL TEACHER THAT LIVES OUT HERE AND BLEAVE ME, A TURNING SIGNAL INFRACTION MENS A TOWED CAR
SO WHERE IS PELICAN BAY? TEACHERS CAN'T SPELL AND OFFICERS DON'T GIVE A BREAK
Turner

San Antonio, TX

#9 Feb 1, 2007
You know couple years ago people can buy Pelican Bay Police Officer badges online. Do you think those cops are REAL? If you dissatisfy with their service like speed traps. There is a website called speedtrap.com go there an put the location on the list. Soon or later they'll run out places to do their rountine traffic stops! Just ask the people at Meadows Place Police Department, Texas. You can also check out on Meadows Place forum on this website to see what former police officers say about the police department! Do you still think Pelican Bay Police Department is the worst police department in Texas?
Turner

San Antonio, TX

#10 Feb 1, 2007
Years ago people can purchase Pelican Bay Police Officer badges online. Do you think those cops are REAL? If you think you get treated unfairly go to speed trap website to write down the locations they like to catch people. Soon or later they're going to run out places to do their rountine traffic stops. Just ask people at Meadows Place, Texas on this website forum. You can see what former police officers say about Meadows Place Police Department.
CRAZEE

Fort Worth, TX

#11 Mar 19, 2007
Some of you are just plain retarded ... especially the teach er that cant spell. Pelican Bay PD is not made up of a bunch of Nazis! They are hard workling professional police officers that are making a difference in Pelican Bay! Towed cars??? Hell yes they tow cars, just like every other department in the country. I have an idea for you all ... DONT BREAK THE LAW AND YOU WONT HAVE YOUR CAR TOWED. Keep up the good work Chief Frankum.
CRAZEE

Fort Worth, TX

#12 Mar 19, 2007
From Chnl 5 reporter: The majority of Pelican Bay's city council support their police department, and to help give officers a big raise last year, they opened an impound lot. Instead of sending storage fees to some private lot, the city now collects the money
classygirl

AOL

#13 Mar 19, 2007
I know Chief Frankum and he is a nice man. I know that he would do anything for the children of our town, which was evident when he took 60 children to Chuck E Cheeses and paid for it out of his own pocket. He also bought all of them T-shirts that said 'Chief Frankum's Little Pals Christmas party". Who does that? My kids love him and we think the world of Chief Frankum and the Pelican Bay Police Department. FYI ... Chief Frankum has personally delivered a present to my son every birthday for the past 5 years. I think that is outstanding community involvement.
classygirl

AOL

#14 Mar 19, 2007
I know Chief Frankum and he is a nice man. I know that he would do anything for the children of our town, which was evident when he took 60 children to Chuck E Cheeses and paid for it out of his own pocket. He also bought all of them T-shirts that said 'Chief Frankum's Little Pals Christmas party". Who does that? My kids love him and we think the world of Chief Frankum and the Pelican Bay Police Department. FYI ... Chief Frankum has personally delivered a present to my son every birthday for the past 5 years. I think that is outstanding community involvement.
fred

United States

#16 Apr 6, 2007
Yes it is for no insurance.
fred

United States

#17 Apr 6, 2007
Mark wrote:
Yes no insurance
fred

United States

#18 Apr 6, 2007
Turner wrote:
Years ago people can purchase Pelican Bay Police Officer badges online. Do you think those cops are REAL? If you think you get treated unfairly go to speed trap website to write down the locations they like to catch people. Soon or later they're going to run out places to do their rountine traffic stops. Just ask people at Meadows Place, Texas on this website forum. You can see what former police officers say about Meadows Place Police Department.
I saw a Houston PD badge on ebay and a bunch more from the Houston area. I guess they aren't real cops either!
Rufus

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Apr 7, 2007
I was pulled over for a no turn signal and given a ticket. LOL A NO TURN SIGNAL! COME ON! Pelican Bay is nothing but a bunch of trailer houses with child molesters living all thru that city. Look on any website that gives this information. Pelican Bay police don't last long because they realize the pay is shitty and the city is even shittier. You should see this place, its so nasty. LOL @ their police station.
cody

Ganado, TX

#20 Apr 13, 2007
The reporter is only trying to get people to read his paper. Donít believe everything you read. Reporters always twist and turn things around to make them sound bad, because that is what the public is interested in. After I meet with the Pelican Bay Chief and talked to him about this article it was clear that the person who interviewed him was just trying to give him a bad name and trying to get others to read his paper. It is a shame that there are reporters who will stoop so low to make others look bad, so they can get people to buy there paper.
Txguy

Fort Worth, TX

#21 Apr 14, 2007
Cody - more than one person has said the same thing and I tend to agree. I don't think Pelican Bay police are doing anything wrong.
REGRETT MOVING HERE

AOL

#22 Apr 17, 2007
To the dummys posting on here about pelican bay pd yes they are crooks.(period) and like all bad guys they will get cought go to jail. the first will be the police chief.
SORRY

United States

#23 Apr 20, 2007
I have lived in the Bay for over (9) years and have heard many stories about all kinds of different things that were supposed to be happening out here. It wasn't until I was pulled over in Pelican Bay, driving a car with (2) bad plug wires (lost 1/2 of it's total power) that now I believe them. My car starts to act funny as I'm leaving work (downtown Ft. Worth). I can't get over (40) m.p.h. the whole way home. I get home, tinker with it and go to drive it around the block. What I did didn't help. About halfway around, an officer stops in front of me and motions me to drive in front of him. As soon as I got around him, I turned at a stop sign to go back towards my home. I didn't get out of second gear before he pulled me over and said I was doing "31 in a 20"... a $175 ticket. Besides my car not running right, it's a standard... I'm always looking at the speedo and tach... especially with a cop behind me. This guy was out to find something to give me a ticket for and when he didn't find it... he made up something. That's corrupt!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tarrant County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Allen Council member resigns, will face incumbe... Dec 12 Buck Turgidson 1
News Tarrant-County 52 mins ago 3:29 p.m.Granbury wo... (Nov '16) Nov '17 Ron Jeremy 2
News a He was who I married. But he was also someone... Sep '17 Truthnjustice 1
News Should Fort Worth rename Jefferson Davis Park? ... Aug '17 Chris Buis 2
James Wilford Russell Jul '17 Monty73 1
News Girl, 17, is jailed in fatal shooting (Jun '07) Jun '17 Tessas family 27
Susan Burton Randolph (Oct '15) Jun '17 Anonymous 8
More from around the web