Shuler: No 'road to nowhere'

Shuler: No 'road to nowhere'

There are 8 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Oct 26, 2007, titled Shuler: No 'road to nowhere'. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

North Carolina Congressman Heath Shuler told Knoxville residents Friday he will fight the so-called 'road to nowhere' so long as he remains in Congress.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

ohmygosh

Hermitage, TN

#1 Oct 27, 2007
Heath shuler, you make me sick. You couldn't cut it as a football player and now you want to play politics. Go back where you came from!!!

“No More Settlement”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2 Oct 29, 2007
6 million is a slap in the face of those on the NC side of the Park who believe, for whatever reason, that the contract is for a replacement road that would greatly improve access to the Southern part of the Park. This road would not be through the "middle", there is a road through the middle, 441, and why is Heath Shuler not interestred in closing that road? Look at all the damage done to the environment over the years by this overused highway.
Your article implies that there is only one cemetery in this area, I think you need to take another count on that stat, fact or whatever.
Henry Chambers

Dawsonville, GA

#3 Nov 1, 2007
It is easy for a person with no interests in the well being of those who were forced to give up their lands, homes, and communities to make such a statement. Mr. Shuler does not have relatives buried on the 'North Shore'. He has no problem with arranging access to get there, or having to meet the dates and deadlines on the NPS shuttles. He's able to walk and has no physical limitations. And since I am a GA resident, he can also be thankful that I cannot vote in NC. However, I am going to encourage my US Representative and Senators to oppose any settlement with Swain County that does not provide access to the 'North Shore' for the friends and families of those who were affected...

“No More Settlement”

Location hidden

#4 Nov 1, 2007
Henry Chambers wrote:
It is easy for a person with no interests in the well being of those who were forced to give up their lands, homes, and communities to make such a statement. Mr. Shuler does not have relatives buried on the 'North Shore'. He has no problem with arranging access to get there, or having to meet the dates and deadlines on the NPS shuttles. He's able to walk and has no physical limitations. And since I am a GA resident, he can also be thankful that I cannot vote in NC. However, I am going to encourage my US Representative and Senators to oppose any settlement with Swain County that does not provide access to the 'North Shore' for the friends and families of those who were affected...
The Park Service stated today in the Smoky Mountain Times that it will do its best to manintain the decoration day trips As called for in the 1980s and with the DEIS.
Henry Chambers

Dawsonville, GA

#5 Nov 4, 2007
G Ensley wrote:
<quoted text> The Park Service stated today in the Smoky Mountain Times that it will do its best to manintain the decoration day trips As called for in the 1980s and with the DEIS.
I wasn't able to make to last trip. I am told that many who did were left standing on the bank and the Park Service only help 13 who were physically challenged. This is not in 'doing their best'.

“No More Settlement”

Location hidden

#6 Nov 4, 2007
Henry Chambers wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't able to make to last trip. I am told that many who did were left standing on the bank and the Park Service only help 13 who were physically challenged. This is not in 'doing their best'.
I am not saying they did their best, I am stating what they said in the SMT as a response to the many complaints of this shoddy treatment of folks who many came from other states just to be left at the Calhoun house. I believe this is just the begining of the end of the lake shuttle for the decorations, the Park Service clearly is encouraged by the lack of support for the road from locals and former locals, if only we had had a united front against the Park Service and their Enviro Pals, the road could have passed and the accsess would be via the road, along with the economic gain all of the region would gleen from the road. Now with the 1943 Agreement apparently out of the way, I wonder if any the anti roaders will help prevent the Wilderness or Wild Lands Act from eating up the rest of the property of Swain and Graham Counties. One thing in the Wilderness Act is the prevention of motorized vehecles over lake water.
mountain girl

Asheville, NC

#7 Apr 30, 2009
I love my mountains Heath.... I meet you once you came to swain high school and told us we were the future you need to get off you butt and help to I much rather the promise be kept instead of having to worry about what goes on up there walk up there for your self see what it has become young teens getting rape devil worship killing I been its scary help keep the promise and build the rest of the road there’s older folks that wait to go back to see there old home if you really care about your home town you should help!!!!!!!!!!
Dad

United States

#8 Apr 30, 2009
Stay in school if it's not already too late...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swain County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Music Thread (Nov '13) Jan '15 Musikologist 5
News 2nd language gets top priority in school (Aug '07) Nov '14 analyzerlx 5
dss/cps corruption (Oct '11) Sep '14 Sherri Cuddy 6
News Tourism Board meets, provides presentation to P... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dave 2
News Mike Clampitt announces run for Statehouse in D... (Feb '12) Jul '14 Braindead 3
News Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Apr '14 Was NC Now Florid... 8
News Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Mar '14 Outside looking in 17
More from around the web