Road to Nowhere payout won't help fam...

Road to Nowhere payout won't help families visit loved ones

There are 30 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jun 5, 2007, titled Road to Nowhere payout won't help families visit loved ones. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

When the bureaucrats, environmentalists and the county officials of Swain County get their hands on $52 million, I hope they do not believe that they have settled the problem of the people who want to visit the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
eaglecreek

United States

#22 Jun 7, 2007
All your base are wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure do have a lot of opinion on this for someone who doesn't live in Swain County. Aren't you contradictng yourself? Why are you "meddling" in their affairs, Mtnbred?
Come on people this issue is dead, however both sides had a lot of interest and this is seen from the comments to the DEIS numbering in the thousands from all parts of the nation with folks on both sides of the issue, not just Swain or Buncombe County or where ever in WNC. Fact is the defeat of Taylor killed the road.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#23 Jun 7, 2007
All your base are wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure do have a lot of opinion on this for someone who doesn't live in Swain County. Aren't you contradictng yourself? Why are you "meddling" in their affairs, Mtnbred?
I am not meddling. I am just saying they have the right to fight for what is rightfully theirs. And FYI, my great grandparents had property there BEFORE TVA came in and stole the land. Altho it did provide much needed jobs after the war, and some of my kin worked on that also. and Yes I am of strong opinion of this. Remember when a handshake was a mans word? Well, I for one would not want to shake your hand on a tootsie pop trade--you would re-nig and keep all the red ones. Nor would I trust ANY politician in this day and age to look out for the citizens of this great country.
All your base are

Charlotte, NC

#24 Jun 7, 2007
Mtnbred wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when a handshake was a mans word? Well, I for one would not want to shake your hand on a tootsie pop trade--you would re-nig and keep all the red ones.
You don't even know me. What a pompous, arrogant thing to say.
Tarheel Born

AOL

#25 Jun 7, 2007
There was a time and place perhaps when a handshake was a man`s word, maybe in horse trading and such. Do you think it would work in securing a home mortgage or purchase a new car?
Incidentally, it is obvious several people posting comments lack an adequate vocabulary to express their views and have to revert to 4 letter words. Could we stick to the issue and not attack each other?
eaglecreek

United States

#26 Jun 7, 2007
Tarheel Born wrote:
There was a time and place perhaps when a handshake was a man`s word, maybe in horse trading and such. Do you think it would work in securing a home mortgage or purchase a new car?
Incidentally, it is obvious several people posting comments lack an adequate vocabulary to express their views and have to revert to 4 letter words. Could we stick to the issue and not attack each other?
I agree, the name calling and put downs are not doing anything to enhance the talk about this issue.
By the way, what would happen if we renig on our car or house payments?
swain native

United States

#27 Jun 7, 2007
eaglecreek wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, the name calling and put downs are not doing anything to enhance the talk about this issue.
By the way, what would happen if we renig on our car or house payments?
OR decide not to pay our Federal taxes this year ???
Avast ye dog

Asheville, NC

#28 Jun 8, 2007
Mtnbred wrote:
<quoted text>
That part of a National Forest would not exist if it wasn't for the sacrifice of the ancestors of Swain County. How about we give the original property back to the decendants---
You're right...let's give it back to the Cherokee.
Wait, you mean the European settlers sacrificed more and should get it? How about the rest of us sacrifice $64 million...We'll call it even.
Tarheel Born

AOL

#29 Jun 10, 2007
Eagle Creek suggested going to www.buildnorthshorerd.com for documentation. The link alone gives reason to believe it is maintained by the small vocal `Build the Road~ group. Did you read the 5/25/07 National Park News Release? Note:under terms of this "1943 Agreement", a new road to replace NC 288, which was flooded during construction of TVA`s Fontana Dam, WOULD be built IF Congress appropriated the funding. "IF". In the 60`s construction on this road was abandoned due to environmental impacts and engineering problems. As far back as 1946, the U.S. Supreme Court held that there is no legal obligation to satisfy the government`s commitment by building a road and the commitment could be satisfied with a cash settlement. The Supreme Court also stated that the government is not required to proceed with public projects oblivious to the cost, and when, serious problems are created by its projects, the government is not barred from making a common sense adjustment in the interest of the public. Still want to take on the Supreme Court? Helen Vance and others tried to in 1983, the case was tossed out.
eaglecreek

United States

#30 Jun 11, 2007
Tarheel Born wrote:
Eagle Creek suggested going to www.buildnorthshorerd.com for documentation. The link alone gives reason to believe it is maintained by the small vocal `Build the Road~ group. Did you read the 5/25/07 National Park News Release? Note:under terms of this "1943 Agreement", a new road to replace NC 288, which was flooded during construction of TVA`s Fontana Dam, WOULD be built IF Congress appropriated the funding. "IF". In the 60`s construction on this road was abandoned due to environmental impacts and engineering problems. As far back as 1946, the U.S. Supreme Court held that there is no legal obligation to satisfy the government`s commitment by building a road and the commitment could be satisfied with a cash settlement. The Supreme Court also stated that the government is not required to proceed with public projects oblivious to the cost, and when, serious problems are created by its projects, the government is not barred from making a common sense adjustment in the interest of the public. Still want to take on the Supreme Court? Helen Vance and others tried to in 1983, the case was tossed out.
The reference to the web site was to show the documentation of signed statements of promises made by TVA officials to prsons from the area. This link was for info another poster implied did not exist, and yes we of all people are aware of your references to Mrs Vance .
Hazel Creek Girl

Richmond, VA

#31 Jun 17, 2007
If You can't build the road give the money to the people and thier chidren who were made to move.Not all of us remained in Swain Conty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swain County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Music Thread (Nov '13) Nov '16 Musikologist 8
News 2nd language gets top priority in school (Aug '07) Nov '16 Demophobic 6
dss/cps corruption (Oct '11) Nov '15 Christal douglas 7
News Tourism Board meets, provides presentation to P... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dave 2
News Mike Clampitt announces run for Statehouse in D... (Feb '12) Jul '14 Braindead 3
News Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Apr '14 Was NC Now Florid... 8
News Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Mar '14 Outside looking in 17
More from around the web