County Commissioners Meeting

County Commissioners Meeting

Posted in the Swain County Forum

“No More Settlement”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 6, 2008
This Tuesday in Bryson if you are sick and tired of our Commission and its stand on issues such as the Sherrifs pay, the alleged voter intimidation, North Shore Road hearing, and this list goes on, come out and sign in for public coments, you will have 3 minutes to express your views and hand to the commission a written set of questions about these and other issues, so they have to respond in some form
Russell Breedlove

United States

#2 Jan 12, 2008
Well, I guess you got your "public hearing" after all. I don't know why you road folks don't 'get' it. Behavior like what happened at the Commissioner's meeting won't help you achieve any of your goals....in fact it does the opposite. Now people look upon you as kooks. I know you're good people, but actions like this harden people's hearts against you and your cause.
G Ensley wrote:
This Tuesday in Bryson if you are sick and tired of our Commission and its stand on issues such as the Sherrifs pay, the alleged voter intimidation, North Shore Road hearing, and this list goes on, come out and sign in for public coments, you will have 3 minutes to express your views and hand to the commission a written set of questions about these and other issues, so they have to respond in some form

“No More Settlement”

Location hidden

#3 Jan 12, 2008
What behavior are you talking about?
Russell Breedlove

United States

#4 Jan 12, 2008
I'm talking about these kind of behaviors:
Rules state that anyone who wants to comment must personally sign up prior to the meeting(#1). Speakers are limited to One! 3 minute! comment(#2 and #3). Comments are to be addressed to the Commissioners to take under advisement; this is not designed to be a tool to force the commissioners to in effect, sit through a unannounced and unapproved public hearing, contrary to their previously voted position on a public hearing.(#4). A sitting commissioner should not also take a position in front of the Commissioners about this or any other issue while also sitting on the Commission that is hearing these public comments; that is a conflict of interest(#5). By continuing to insist that the commissioners "reconsider" their stand, when clearly the State, the Park Service, the Federal Government,and the public at large are endorsing exactly the position the Commissioners have taken (#6).
I'm not talking about legalities. I'm talking about behaviors that hurt your cause. This issue is as over as the Civil War. Some people have never accepted that either.
G Ensley wrote:
What behavior are you talking about?

“No More Settlement”

Location hidden

#5 Jan 12, 2008
Why then were the people allowed by the Commission to take more than this alloted time?
Silence on the part of the Commission is a silent permit to continue to speak.
If the Commissioners did not want to hear all the comments, thay could have suspended the comment session. Who can determine how many people show up and sign up for comments, this is impossible to predict. The public is always welcome to these meetings so why is this one any different?
If a sitting Commisssioner is not allowed to speak as an individual, then the Chairman should call said person out of order and since he did not do that, I am not certain if any rule was broken, if so then it should be clear to all .
Lets say you have an issue and previous Commissions have come out one and then the other way on the issue, wouldnt you like for the present standing Commission to state their stand, maybe thats all you would need to end the "Civil War". This act ,which ever way it turned out could bring about the acceptance of the finality of this or any issue people have had a hand in from one degree to another for such along time.
Russell Breedlove

United States

#6 Jan 14, 2008
The folk who disrupted the meeting knew exactly what they were doing. They knew the Commissioners had to bend over backwards and allow far too much leeway; had they enforced the rules, the organizers would have used that for ammunition, crying that they had been silenced by the "bid, bad commissioners". The organizers simply abused the rules with impunity.

The Commissioners are on record on this issue, supporting the settlement as the only acceptable outcome. How many more votes do you need? Will a vote on this issue at every commissioner's meeting be necessary? No! The only time that another vote would be necessary is if the commissioners decided to change their standing position.

I neither know about nor care about what is legal or illegal here. You asked what behaviors I was referring to, and I answered you. Remember that people you mistreat are less likely to be sympathetic to your cause.

“No More Settlement”

Location hidden

#7 Jan 14, 2008
You may be correct, the pro road folks have alresdy been silenced by the past Commission and supported by other past Commissions. I infer that a non vote on the part of the present leadership is acceptance of the stand of the past Commisions which were unwilling to support the 1943 Agreement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swain County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Music Thread (Nov '13) Feb '16 Musikologist 7
dss/cps corruption (Oct '11) Nov '15 Christal douglas 7
News 2nd language gets top priority in school (Aug '07) Nov '14 analyzerlx 5
News Tourism Board meets, provides presentation to P... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dave 2
News Mike Clampitt announces run for Statehouse in D... (Feb '12) Jul '14 Braindead 3
News Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Apr '14 Was NC Now Florid... 8
News Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Mar '14 Outside looking in 17
More from around the web